Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The rear end would of looked fine if they put some circular lights (think C5) but no they had to appeal to the transformers non car enthusiast Michael Bay douchebags. Why would they share Camaro tail-lights with the new Stingray. Terrible design.

I'm starting to hate the Vette again.

The Viper pisses all over it. Look at this.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Viper-...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Just wait. Your tastes might change once your Medicare kicks in and you start wearing your elastic waistband pants up around your sternum.
Lots of Porsche owners not far from that.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Design has nothing to do with my preferance. I think both the C7 and 991 look great, although I've seen many advocates of either brand that believe the other brand looks hideous. I buy Porsches simply because of the way they handle. I wish it weren't so, but Porsches spoil you for other cars. So even if the C7 was the most beautiful car that I have ever seen, I would still be buying a Porsche.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:46 PM
pro325
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also agree they missed the target... The C7 looks like a toy, a kit car at best.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:48 PM
pro325
AutoX

...but I did test drive one and, does it have what it takes under those body panels...
Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A buddy of mine was tuning a 2014 vette over the weekend, so I had a chance to fully take in the new design. I think it works, but I'll reserve judgement until I have an opportunity to see it on the road. What doesn't work is the fit and finish and quality of materials. This one was loaded and included the leather interior with carbon fibre accents. Although an improvement over the C6 it was nevertheless a big disappointment. The paint was unevenly applied and chalk full of orange peel. The leather looked cheap and the carbon fibre looked like plastic. All in all
for a retail price exceeding $75,000 it was not very convincing. Once again it does not escape the stereo type: for the money it offers a big performance bang for the buck. I guess it could be worse.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
But that point aside, you may be underestimating the number of people who like Optimus Prime. I'll bet it's higher than the number of people who like more refined looks... I'll go out on a limb and use the never-ending stream of crappy movies and the certain-to-be-higher sales numbers of the C7 as all the proof I need.
Over here I think you can count the sales of corvettes per year on your two hands ! We are boring people with traditional taste ;-)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Wow guess I'm in the minority, to me the c7 is gorgeous and coupled with a great interior design that almost makes me wish I had waited on my 991 purchase to compare, especially considering how much money I would've saved. However that very quickly goes away when I turn the ignition and pull off!

Seriously from what I read the c7 is going to be a great car but GM can keep trying all day long to be equal to a 911.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Naushaud
Wow guess I'm in the minority, to me the c7 is gorgeous and coupled with a great interior design that almost makes me wish I had waited on my 991 purchase to compare, especially considering how much money I would've saved. However that very quickly goes away when I turn the ignition and pull off!

Seriously from what I read the c7 is going to be a great car but GM can keep trying all day long to be equal to a 911.
I think you would have immediately noticed the difference between how paint looks on the C7's plastic body vs. how paint looks on the 911's steel and aluminum body.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 AM
pt767
Instructor

We were at the Chevy dealer yesterday (wife has a volt). Checked out the new Vette in the showroom (red w red napa leather interior). On the outside, the car looks good. It gets your attention. Inside, I wasn't impressed. You can't compare the vette and the Porsche. The Porsche wreaks quality, craftsmanship....it's a work of art. The Vette unfortunately falls short in these areas. The Vette will find its way into a lot of garages. Just not mine....I'll spend my hard earned $ on quality every time.

Last edited by pt767; 11-09-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-09-2013, 04:09 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsclubs
I think it is a clear sign of aging when you become less and less tolerant of different styles, and your taste is more narrowed and specific. I try to fight that tendency but realize even for me it is a losing battle as I age.
In my early teens when friends were getting into cars I was genuinely baffled at the attraction. Every single one I saw just looked like crap to me. Sure every once in a while somebody had one that was really well done, well cared for, nice and clean. Nice shiny clean piece of crap. They just did not look very well made to me. It was easy to look them over and see the design flaws glaring back at me.

Honestly do not know why, but I usually would never even need to sit in a car to know it was crap. And when I would get in, sometimes it was like my skin would crawl.

One day my best friend and I cut class and went out to Larsen Porsche in Tacoma. First time I ever saw one up close. Let me tell you, there was no skin crawl. The sales associates were awesome and left us alone to drool and examine to our hearts content. I distinctly recall laying down on the floor and scooting under as far as we could to check out the suspension and undercarriage.

That was back about 1973. I just turned 56 today. Its not about tolerance. Of course we have to learn to tolerate and live with crap. That's simply a part of life. And its not about age. Anyone of any age can learn to distinguish crap from quality. What it's about is excellence. When excellence is your standard, of what use is it to patronize? Why promote low expectations? Who benefits from that?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Lots of Porsche owners not far from that.
Nobody we know, though!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuck911
In my early teens when friends were getting into cars I was genuinely baffled at the attraction. Every single one I saw just looked like crap to me. Sure every once in a while somebody had one that was really well done, well cared for, nice and clean. Nice shiny clean piece of crap. They just did not look very well made to me. It was easy to look them over and see the design flaws glaring back at me.

Honestly do not know why, but I usually would never even need to sit in a car to know it was crap. And when I would get in, sometimes it was like my skin would crawl.

One day my best friend and I cut class and went out to Larsen Porsche in Tacoma. First time I ever saw one up close. Let me tell you, there was no skin crawl. The sales associates were awesome and left us alone to drool and examine to our hearts content. I distinctly recall laying down on the floor and scooting under as far as we could to check out the suspension and undercarriage.

That was back about 1973. I just turned 56 today. Its not about tolerance. Of course we have to learn to tolerate and live with crap. That's simply a part of life. And its not about age. Anyone of any age can learn to distinguish crap from quality. What it's about is excellence. When excellence is your standard, of what use is it to patronize? Why promote low expectations? Who benefits from that?
Well, Happy Birthday, Chuck.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
Anyone of any age can learn to distinguish crap from quality. What it's about is excellence. When excellence is your standard, of what use is it to patronize? Why promote low expectations? Who benefits from that?
Very well said Chuck and I hope you're having a terrific birthday.

I'm a first generation American, and I have to say the US has a lot to learn about excellence as that term relates to cars. Low tech hunks of cheapo plastic interiors and ill fitting body panels that require and aircraft carrier sized engine to supply any power.

I take no pride in saying that. And I'm not going to listen to any lectures about patriotism. I love my country, and I'm embarrassed that produce such hunks of crap on wheels. We can send men to the moon, advanced explorers to Mars, yet apparently we are content to comtonue to design and build crap cars. The best of which can go fast in a straight line. Forget about corners, unless you'd like a trip into the weeds.

And this mode of thinking dates all the way back to Henry Ford - cheap *** cars for the masses. Unforuntely devoid of any sense of excellence in any area. And that way of being has continued ever since. Cars in Europe where born of a different mindset, where cost wasn't the key thing, and excellence was. Cars in Europe where largely for the upper class and those customers expected a lot - even way back when. And their mindset has lasted too - where Porsche and Mercedes design, engineer, and build outstanding vehicles.

Again if anyone would like to call me unpatriotic, I'd respond with being able to recognize and admit our flaws is the most patriotic thing of all. Sticking your head in the sand pretending the world isn't the way it really is - is just ignorance.

Ok ill step off my soap box now. It's time for new car companies in the US to show the lazy three that there's a better way.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pt767
We were at the Chevy dealer yesterday (wife has a volt). Checked out the new Vette in the showroom (red w red napa leather interior). On the outside, the car looks good. It gets your attention. Inside, I wasn't impressed. You can't compare the vette and the Porsche. The Porsche wreaks quality, craftsmanship....it's a work of art. The Vette unfortunately falls short in these areas. The Vette will find its way into a lot of garages. Just not mine....I'll spend my hard earned $ on quality every time.
I went and sat in a new 'Vette the other day. Doing so was a truly life-changing event - it aroused a massive visceral response that will forever alter the way I view performance cars in general, and American-built muscle cars in particular.

....as a result, yesterday I bought a C2S.

Quick Reply: Saw my first C7 today