Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911:10888247
Originally Posted by adamsclubs
That makes two of us. Somehow the C7 looked fine to me. Look is highly subjective, there are plenty of people in the vette camp who hate the look of P-cars.

Interestingly most of the 911S/C7 comments come down to the look, not performance, even though both are built and marketed mainly on performance.

Look is of course critical too but if it is the most important factor, I would skip both 911 and vette.
Huh. Nothing looks better than a 991. Just so you know.

Cars are marketed on "performance" the way cameras are marketed on megapixels. Gives the typical unenlightened consumer something to feel they can understand and use to compare. In reality these crude measures don't really have all that much to tell us about real-world performance. The performance aspect truth of this shows up in all those times when the 911 with less power, slower 0-60 and worse skidpad g's nevertheless turns a faster time on some demanding course. Doesn't always happen, but often enough to make you go, hmmm. But the real biggie, the way the car feels and responds to the driver, there simply are no numbers for that. The most important thing, and we have no objective measure. A simple fact for which the Corvette team prays thanks nightly, for its the one thing keeping their clown car on the market.

Man, is this the thread that keeps on giving, or what?
Ironically, after the initial statement, the rest of your post talks nothing about the look, but performance.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

more irony ...the rear view of the corvette they [elton posers] hate so much is the only view they will see so much of
Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by fast1:10890326
Cars are marketed on "performance" the way cameras are marketed on megapixels. Gives the typical unenlightened consumer something to feel they can understand and use to compare. In reality these crude measures don't really have all that much to tell us about real-world performance. The performance aspect truth of this shows up in all those times when the 911 with less power, slower 0-60 and worse skidpad g's nevertheless turns a faster time on some demanding course.

I wouldn't be surprised if a $110K 991S could outperform a $60K C7 on a track. On the other hand if you compare the 991S to the comparably priced ZR1, the results will be far different. I've had the pleasure of being on the track with my 997S, and watching a ZR1 up close and personal. The ZR1 not only passed me effortlessly, but also didn't have any problems passing my friend's 997 GT3. About the only Porsche that I saw on the track that day that could hold its own with the ZR1 was a GT2.
Likewise, every time I am at one of those Porsche Club organized autocross events, a few vettes there always murder all the P-cars, fast or slow.

But the P-car drivers are used to that, the performance I talked about, is mostly off the track performance, or fun factor, because the majority of the P-car drivers, or vette drivers, never go on race track or even to autocross.

This thread is about the look. All I am saying is, though I like the look of both the 991 and C7, and think many others agree with me, I am also fully aware a lot of people don't care for (or even hate) one or the other, or both. Debating about the look is often futile.

The fortunate part is, you will never be alone in your particular taste, and find plenty of people in common. So pick all the other things you like about a car, whatever it is, forget about how it looks, odds are the same number of people in the population (though somewhat different group for different car) will admire its look while you cruise down the street.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

So pick all the other things you like about a car, whatever it is, forget about how it looks, odds are the same number of people in the population (though somewhat different group for different car) will admire its look while you cruise down the street.
That's really strange advice. You're telling people to buy a car they don't like the look of :-)

Over here the number of people that like Optimus prime, with his quad missile launchers out of his ***, over the 991 will be small, extremely small !
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by bccars:10890794
So pick all the other things you like about a car, whatever it is, forget about how it looks, odds are the same number of people in the population (though somewhat different group for different car) will admire its look while you cruise down the street.
That's really strange advice. You're telling people to buy a car they don't like the look of :-)
Where did I say that?

I am simply saying don't be too obsessed by the look. The reason is, on the flip side, just be aware regardless what car you get, odds are there will be the same number of people in the population (though different group for different car) who will vomit as they watch you cruise down the street.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:00 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars

Over here the number of people that like Optimus prime, with his quad missile launchers out of his ***, over the 991 will be small, extremely small !
The exterior two are missile launchers. The interior two are flame throwers. Geez.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:10 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by extanker
more irony ...the rear view of the corvette they [elton posers] hate so much is the only view they will see so much of
Especially when grandpa's palsy meds cause his leg to cramp and jam the throttle pedal to the floor right as he's parking his C7 in the handicapped spot at the local strip mall.

News film of the accident will show lots of the rear view of the corvette sticking out of the building.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Besides perhaps a yawn, the only thing that goes through my kind when I see a late model corvette is thank God I have some taste - enough anyway to not want to drive one of those.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
Besides perhaps a yawn, the only thing that goes through my kind when I see a late model corvette is thank God I have some taste - enough anyway to not want to drive one of those.
Just wait. Your tastes might change once your Medicare kicks in and you start wearing your elastic waistband pants up around your sternum.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That is interesting advice - pay less so we can get cars we think are ugly because some other people will like it... But I didn't buy my car for other people, I bought it because I like it.

But that point aside, you may be underestimating the number of people who like Optimus Prime. I'll bet it's higher than the number of people who like more refined looks... I'll go out on a limb and use the never-ending stream of crappy movies and the certain-to-be-higher sales numbers of the C7 as all the proof I need.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:27 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Not a chance I probably will be wandering aimlessly for hours in the parking lot trying to remember where I parked, but it'll still be a Porsche. I don't think ill ever be senile enough to try my key in a corvette

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Just wait. Your tastes might change once your Medicare kicks in and you start wearing your elastic waistband pants up around your sternum.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

bccars, just want to say that in spite of this being a nonsense thread (zero relevance to 991) and despite all the nonsense comments (anything even hinting at the vette being a good looking car) all has been redeemed now that you have said the Corvette looks " like Optimus prime, with his quad missile launchers out of his ***."

Well done!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrstep:10891521
... But I didn't buy my car for other people, I bought it because I like it.
That makes two of us, but if most Porsche drivers are like us, Porsche would be long out of business.

But that point aside, you may be underestimating the number of people who like Optimus Prime. I'll bet it's higher than the number of people who like more refined looks... I'll go out on a limb and use the never-ending stream of crappy movies and the certain-to-be-higher sales numbers of the C7 as all the proof I need.
Since most people are not like you and me, they will want to fit in and be like most of the others.

The missile launcher design is aimed at younger buyers, as evident most older traditional vette drivers don't like the new style, much like the mature 911 drivers.

Although it is too early to tell, there is sign the younger buyers are buying the new C7 style. So anyone who wants to joke about vette drivers on Medicare, just be aware the joke might be on them instead.

I think it is a clear sign of aging when you become less and less tolerant of different styles, and your taste is more narrowed and specific. I try to fight that tendency but realize even for me it is a losing battle as I age.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Well a C7 did make last week's Vick's Pick's. Neato huh guys?

Just had a look at the C7 pics posted by OP. That has to be the ugliest color you could ever pick for that car. Also nice cheesy chrome wheels there, what an option. Is it 1997?

My enthusiasm for this car pretty much just tanked.

Viper.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

The above post from "AdamsClubs" makes little sense to me. I highly doubt Porsche will go out of business if us Pcar drivers don't care what others think of us and we bought a Porsche simply because *we* liked it.

Younger buyers are probably indeed the target market for the corvette, as its a lower cost vehicle. I'm resisting using the term "cheaper" but I certainly think that's an appropriate descriptive term for that vehicle.

I'm sorry but the last paragraph made me laugh. "A clear sign of aging when you become less and less tolerant of different styles". Speaking for myself, I'm nowhere near old and I can tolerate the C7 design just fine. I just think it looks as ugly as a Boar's *** in my experience, age has little to do with one's taste. I know some old people with a really refined sense of style and taste, and young people who are absolute tools who can't even spell taste

Last edited by CaliforniaZombie; 11-08-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Saw my first C7 today