Sponsored by:

Another PDK failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:54 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Kosmo Kramer likes to joke a lot... Have you not watched Seinfeld ?!

Chill dude...
Of course I've watched it, and my sense of humor works just fine That kind of message is isn't humorous however. It's ignorant.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
Of course I've watched it, and my sense of humor works just fine That kind of message is isn't humorous however. It's ignorant.

Please no politics... please please please. I come here to escape all of that bull****.

Back to the PDK failure topic!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:27 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Please no politics... please please please. I come here to escape all of that bull****.

Back to the PDK failure topic!
Totally and completely agree, and is the exact reason I've spoken up here. Kozmo's signature is highly inappropriate for this forum - given that such inflammatory political statements will **** off a certain number of people on here. Me included. We all have belief systems outside of cars - but most of us on here seem to have enough common sense not to bring those views into this forum.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Totally and completely agree, and is the exact reason I've spoken up here. Kozmo's signature is highly inappropriate for this forum - given that such inflammatory political statements will **** off a certain number of people on here. Me included. We all have belief systems outside of cars - but most of us on here seem to have enough common sense not to bring those views into this forum.
You can turn off signatures in your settings.

And yes all the stuff could be taken off-line in the politics section forum.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, but to be fair you're the one that started talking about it. Signature lines aren't meant to be part of the conversation. Just ignore it and move on. Everyone has different political views. Treat it as a bumper sticker. You're making too much of it. You could have sent him a PM if you're so affected by it.

Now please, back to PDK talk.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:06 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Yeah, but to be fair you're the one that started talking about it. Signature lines aren't meant to be part of the conversation. Just ignore it and move on. Everyone has different political views. Treat it as a bumper sticker. You're making too much of it. You could have sent him a PM if you're so affected by it.

Now please, back to PDK talk.
This

Last edited by jason952; 12-13-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Chuck,no disrespect,I enjoy your posts,but like I said,ignoring everything that has to do with the so called " Manual vs PDK debate " ,don't you agree the Manual transmission is more reliable?
I'd also like to point out that you are the most " involved " out of all of us driving a 79 SC,so it's easy for you to talk...
Absolutely. The advantages of the manual are simplicity and reliability. (And weight.) Probably not reliability in the sense that they'll almost certainly need clutch replacements. Over time I would think the PDK will deliver more miles without service. It seems to me that most owners will experience a lifetime (well over 100k miles anyway) of use without any problems or replacements. But it certainly appears we will need to see at least a few more years of development before it gets to the reliability range of a manual.

When it comes to these kinds of problems though its not just PDK. Lots of little things pop up due to new advanced technology. When the 991 first came out I was amazed how few of these little glitches there were. I rather suspected they'd begin showing up once people got over the initial thrill and enough cars got out on the road, and that seems to be pretty much what has happened. Still it seems the 991 is better than average, maybe even better than ever. When I get one it will definitely be with PDK.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
My thoughts exactly. And wait till all the new GT3's start getting spanked all around the track come spring. What will happen to those gearboxes?
Hopefully, Porsche would figure out a fix before my warranty runs out!

Am I the only person here who has not done launch control on their own car? 7,500 miles on my car, picked it up brand new and hoping to own this until next major redesign.

I always wonder if driving in sport+ or doing LC can potentially speed up the demise of PDK?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my 997.2S with PDK for 5 years---never used launch control even once.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
Hopefully, Porsche would figure out a fix before my warranty runs out!

Am I the only person here who has not done launch control on their own car? 7,500 miles on my car, picked it up brand new and hoping to own this until next major redesign.

I always wonder if driving in sport+ or doing LC can potentially speed up the demise of PDK?

No LC here either ! Virtually no Sport Plus either ! Also planning to keep it at least until 992, or whatever they will call it then !

Correlation ? I don't know. Dealer told me they had a demo that they did 50-100 consecutive LC's with, no probs whatsoever. True or not ?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:27 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Makes u not want to own a demo!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I don't think the failures have anything to do with Launch Control. Yes,abusing those will put more stress on the box but it shouldn't cause it to fail. From what I've heard,Porsche did hundreds of Launches during testing and the box held up.
I suspect Porsche is changing these PDKs that fail right away and not letting the dealer try to fix them,because they are still at the learning stage. PDKs are new,they've been introduced in 2009 and 5 years is not a lot for a new technology. Most failures happen in time and in customer cars,not during testing and they need these transmissions back to the factory to learn each time what went wrong and what needs to be improved.
They are complicated and fascinating in the same time. Here's a pic that I'm sure has been posted many times,with the PDK internals in comparison with the new 7 speed box :

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:42 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought I'd throw this out...Volkswagen/Audi were the first to produce a dual clutch transmission for the masses, the DSG/S-Tronic that was introduced I believe on MY 2004 cars.
That transmission has actually had a fair amount of problems, but they're all with the electronic controls of the transmission, not the clutches and gears themselves. Much like what we're hearing here with PDK failures, VAG has always tried to fix the problems via software/hardware first, but if that fails, they replace the entire unit. Teething problems with new technology, not really unexpected.
OTOH, I believe early Nissan GT-R transmissions were physically breaking when subjected to too many launch control starts. A complete change of software/hardware and warranty re-writing ensued. Sounds like the sheer numbers of PDK problems are pretty small in comparison.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. I have had a 2010 jetta wolfsburg and a 2012 jetta GLi as my winter cars. Both with DSG. Never a problem. This is my second 911 with PDK. Never a problem. I have had 2 911's with MT. My 1992 964 needed a new flywheel at 40K. I am sure that both MT and PDK have more failures the more you use LC or track the car. Heck, formula 1 cars have transmission failures. Sometimes you just have to be lucky. My gut feeling is that MT gets more abused because some people can actually miss a shift....PDK is monkey proof. I'm a monkey.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^ +1 banana

Quick Reply: Another PDK failure