Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have orange peel

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Merlin, remember a while back I said this isn't orange peel? I said there must be a term for it and asked if anyone knows. Nobody answered. This slight mild wave look in stealthboys photo. Surely the pro's have a term for this? Was thinking maybe you would know?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I ordered the Griots clay kit, I'm going to try it out on a small section and see how I like the results.

Thanks everyone.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2013, 01:22 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I was at the dealer today and in the showroom they have a black 991 which has the same "ripply" effect or orange peel in the same spot as mine. The sales guy thought it might be a result of the curve of the sheet metal at that location.

I will see what clay does to it (still waiting for my Griot order to arrive, their shipping is a bit slow)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by GSIRM3; 11-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,

Orange peel is a general term. There is a broad spectrum of "wave" patterns from actual surface of an orange texture (a result of improper painting technique, solvent content, temp, drying time, etc) to barely imperceptable waves you see in high-end automobiles which is considered "low orange peel". If there is an industry term, I don't know it, may come down to some scientific "frequency" computation.
As I've said, there is a small percent of the population that ever notices the effect in high end autos.........being Mr A. Retentive is a curse.
BMW's are the supprising ones, to my eye a Black 7 series has very noticable peel, to others maybe not so much.

Jlanka,
Sadly, clay wont correct peel, or actually have any positive effect on a new paint job. It is used for surface prep before waxing to remove any surface dirt that is firmly attached to the paint.

Enjoy the cars guys...............don't worry about the paint job, it is the top 5% of anything produced.

Best, Bret.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:18 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlanka
I was at the dealer today and in the showroom they have a black 991 which has the same "ripply" effect or orange peel in the same spot as mine. The sales guy thought it might be a result of the curve of the sheet metal at that location.

I will see what clay does to it (still waiting for my Griot order to arrive, their shipping is a bit slow)
The sales guy doesn't know, not his fault.

To be honest, on a lighter colored Porsche it is much more difficult to detect, ours is yellow and I'm not going to touch it.
If you do decide to color sand, take it to a highly reputable shop.

Best, Bret.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:35 PM
chuck911
Race Car

In audio there's a whole glossary of terms for describing the way things sound. I'm surprised there isn't the same for the way things look. Oh well, they certainly have figured out how to quantify it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_peel_(effect)
http://www.premiercolorscan.com/pdfs...n%20DOI_GB.pdf

jlanka, you can definitely correct yours with wet-sanding if you feel its worth it. But I would be very cautious, start with say 3000 grit and do a small area first like this gal did. (Check out the last pic, how sharp the reflection is!) http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...h-3000-Unigrit
Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Clay will not help with orange peel. Nearly all car manufacturers have orange peel in varying degrees. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce and other hand built cars are the exception. Personally I think Porsche's newer cars aren't that bad.

In order to eliminate orange peel you need to level the paint. The right way to do this is to hire a professional to wet sand the paint and follow up with a two or three step polish. Keep in mind that this will remove a good amount of paint from the surface and will mean you have less paint to work with in the future should you get swirls or light scratches.

Personally I would just leave it alone.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Yeah I think I will leav the orange peel alone. I would however like to get rid of the embedded rain spots.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I think I will leav the orange peel alone. I would however like to get rid of the embedded rain spots.

Jeff
Now yer talkin'!

To Marine's point, are you familiar with the concept of "better being the enemy of good?" The constant seeking of perfection leads down a path of diminishing returns, inefficiency, and ultimately doesn't result in perfection...to the contrary, things can get worse. How many times as a kid did you ruin something by trying too hard/doing too much?

You have an amazing car, and both the car and the paint on it are largely already the "perfection" others seek.

Back to the etched water spots: wash, clay, Griot's Machine Polish 4 with a random orbital, wax. (or whatever specific products you prefer.) You'll be glad you did, and your car will be "perfect."
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Yeah I think I will leav the orange peel alone.

Jeff
Well shoot, and just when I was looking forward to the "when polishing after color sanding now my towels are black, I thought there was clear coat on top?" thread.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Well shoot, and just when I was looking forward to the "when polishing after color sanding now my towels are black, I thought there was clear coat on top?" thread.
Better luck next time Chuck!

Quick Reply: I think I have orange peel