Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have orange peel

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

agreed Merlin. I was concerned that maybe I caused it somehow, because I didn't remember it when I took delivery in July. But I probably didn't look that closely.

Let's see what the pics show on Saturday.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took a '67 435hp Corvette to Bloomington for judging and points were deducted for "over restored" paint. Black/red w red stinger coupe that was color sanded to a piece of glass. That's what the owner wanted......he still got a gold but knew the price he was going to pay, points wise, going in.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

I was a Corvette judge for many years and at first we deducted if the paint was not lacquer and then we deducted if there was clear coat. I didn't know that they deduct now for paint that is sanded smooth but not cleared.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Jeeze guys it's not like you are lookin' at the side of a mackerel. So relax most people never micro-analyze the paint. The OP must have a keen eye and commented on what he observed.
What we are discussing is top tier detail work usually reserved for show cars, customs, hot rods, over restored muscle and classic cars. This is over the top ****-retentive stuff which takes a lot of time and/or money.
The factory paint job on the Porsche is better than 95% of all OEM manufacturers, this exercise goes beyond the factory spray to way over the next level.
The best example I can give is if you color sand and polish a pure black (no flake) Porsche, it will literally blow your mind. Liquid black glass is the best I can describe it.
That's more like it. I've always thought that given the already excellent Porsche paint quality that there should be enough paint to allow color sanding resulting in a truly awe inspiring deeply glossy finish, just as you said, but this is the first time I've heard someone who's actually done this kind of work confirm it. There have been two times when I've seen black 911's just as you described, so unbelievably perfect it was hard even to get your eyes to focus on the paint. Color sanding was just not on my mind then so I didn't ask, but thinking back I bet that's what it was. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM
megmarc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to Merlin. To the OP if you are not familiar with it check out autopia.org. A little over the top for many people but still a great resourse for everything from just washing and waxing to buffing, claying, polishing, glazing and everything in between.

But I think Merlin hit it right on the head.

Last edited by megmarc; 10-24-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: word check
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Chuck,

I'm happy to make the clarification. I'm pretty sure with the quality control procedures Porsche has in place substandard paint work would never leave the plant. I've never seen Porsche's paint inspection area but typically what you find is a tunnel with long tube florescent bulbs running the length, floor to ceiling.

** I know there are many paint and body pros on this forum so please forgive the draconian explanation and excercise**

So basically what inspectors are looking for besides obvious flaws is an accurate reflective quality, (mirror effect) of the paint. You can do the same thing with a florescent shop light. Pick a spot high on the rear 1/4 panel just past the drivers door and under the window. Hold the light horizontal to the car and look - I mean really really concentrate. Think of the tube as a illuminated ruler or straightedge and you will see the edge is not razor sharp.

Next time you go to a car show look closely at one of the winners, you can actually read a book (inverse) in the reflection of the paint.

But the reality is we are not driving a show car, these are sports cars, rare-air tools of speed and precision meant to be enjoyed from the drivers seat not remanded to a life of static display.
So drive the suckers and dont worry about "a little more shine", these things are like hunting dogs, happiest when they are working hard and gettin' dirty..........and if you want to, wash them before you bring 'em in the house.
Best, Bret.

Last edited by MerlinsGarage; 10-24-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by megmarc
+1 to Merlin. To the OP if you are not familiar with it check out autopia.org. A little over the top for many people but still a great resourse for everything from just washing and waxing to buffing, claying, polishing, glazing and everything in between.

But I think Merlin hit it right on the head.
Thanks Marc,

With the onset of winter the "summer only" cars get special treatment, perfect beer and cigar work. ; )
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
So drive the suckers and dont worry about "a little more shine", these things are like hunting dogs, happiest when they are working hard and gettin' dirty..........and if you want to, wash them before you bring 'em in the house.
Best, Bret.
And put them under your pillow at night...

Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

This is a little different but related to Merlins "reflective quality" story. We did a tech session one time where I was able to watch paintless dent removal. Towards the end the tech had utterly, completely removed the dent, to the point where it was absolutely flat and smooth. Viewed from any angle hat dent was GONE! But if you looked just right, looking not really at the paint even more like at the reflection of clouds in the paint, then you could see where the dent had been. Not because of the dent, but because that area was now TOO FLAT! The tech explained he would now restore the slight texture of the surrounding area. Almost nobody is paying attention because to the average observer the dent disappeared long ago. But if you looked just right and concentrated on the reflection you could see him slowly building the surrounding pattern into his "too smooth" area. It got to the point where I could no longer see anything, though I'm sure he kept going because from his vantage point HE could see.

So basically there was a point where he had subtly bent the metal to achieve a color-sanded look, then subtly bent the metal back to look like factory paint. Amazing.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:22 PM
jlanka
Drifting

OK here are some pics I took today _after_ washing. I noticed I have another issue - some sort of embedded water spots. VERY strange. Wonder if anyone has thoughts about those as well?

Anyway, you can see what I mean about the orange peel when you look at the edges of the houses in the background - they look jagged.
Attached Images        
Old 10-27-2013, 12:04 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With some effort and time, you can have this... (sorry for redundancy - these are posted on the "bring out the clay" thread I started.) In person, the look is quite amazing, and this is without the color-sanding that Merlin (Bret) and Chuck described above.

Regarding the water spots, I use deionized water to avoid the problem.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Hammer911; 10-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:07 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Regarding the water spots, I use deionized
water to avoid the problem.
Thats what's strange I'm using a deionizer.

These spots seems to be on there from something that happened a while back - they don't come off with washing.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

I also had some stuff left behind by my dealer In their pre-delivery process. Wash, clay(I use Griot's Speed Shine and clay) polish if necessary to take off water spots imbedded in clear coat, and any swirls (I use Griot's Machine Polish 4) then wax ( I use Griot's Best in Show.)
Old 10-27-2013, 02:39 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Also be careful where you park- sprinklers are the worst for leaving water spots, and the car is often dry by the time you return to it.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I was reading along, admiring the photo's, wondering if anyone's gonna mention sprinklers. Some of the worst water spots I ever got were from a sprinkler. Well water is the worst! Only thing I might add is if washing and claying doesn't work, then before polishing try using a little Griot's Car Wash straight from the bottle. Gently!

jlanka, that's not orange peel. That's just your car having a slight allergic reaction to that grubby old wet-dry shop vac you're using. Bring it one with a HEPA filter and it should clear right up.

Quick Reply: I think I have orange peel