Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have orange peel

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, go into a BMW showroom and look down the length of the most expensive model on the floor. They have some pretty severe peel for a luxury car. Maybe I'm too critical, but for over a hundred geez...........................................maybe not.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

My experience has shown the orange peel to be in the color coat and not in the clear so any treatment of the surface will not remedy the situation so we just have to live with it.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW are bad too.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:18 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jerry991
My experience has shown the orange peel to be in the color coat and not in the clear so any treatment of the surface will not remedy the situation so we just have to live with it.
No worries my friend orange peel by nature is a surface imperfection, so be happy, you can get rid if it if you want to !!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
No worries my friend orange peel by nature is a surface imperfection, so be happy, you can get rid if it if you want to !!
There's orange peel that truly does look like the skin of an orange. Ugly a mile away. Close inspection not required. No Porsche like that ever left the factory. Then there's 'orange peel' that can only be seen if you look very closely at just the right angle under just the right light. Then of course there's everything in between. I've seen a lot of Porsches, and I'm getting the feeling a lot of guys are looking at the latter and acting like its the former. Let's get real. I'm interested to know just what we're talking about here.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:56 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint thickness

Just remember the clear coat on our cars is only about .002 inch thick.
Every time you use a polish not wax you take some off. If you sand you take even more off. If you go through the clear coat you will have to get new clear coat at the very least resprayed and maybe the whole panel repainted.
If you take it to the right professional they should have a paint thickness gauge
that might help in knowing how much they have to work with. But even this is tricky since the gauge will measure the entire thickness and has a tolerance on its measurement accuracy.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Can we get pics?

I mean, my paint has a slight, slight waviness to it if I look really closely and hold the light just right, but it's certainly nothing I'd call an imperfection.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

If you want to see classic orange peel take a look at the C7 Vette. It is worse than on any GM product. Your 991 is a smooth as a <insert your idea of smooth here>.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

I have been using a random orbital polisher on my BMW for more than 10 years with swirl remover and polish and not even close to getting through the clear coat. In order to do damage you would have to use some really abrasive compound or sandpaper.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
There's orange peel that truly does look like the skin of an orange. Ugly a mile away. Close inspection not required. No Porsche like that ever left the factory. Then there's 'orange peel' that can only be seen if you look very closely at just the right angle under just the right light. Then of course there's everything in between. I've seen a lot of Porsches, and I'm getting the feeling a lot of guys are looking at the latter and acting like its the former. Let's get real. I'm interested to know just what we're talking about here.
I have the 2nd one
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I have the 2nd one
We all do. I've never seen what others describe, at least not on any Porsche factory paint. No it is not absolutely flat, but you really have to go looking for it to notice. And that's from a guy who loves to spot paint flaws. Your average car, or even your average well above-average car, has a lot more areas that could stand to be improved first.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 PM
l82theparty
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly where is this 'orange peel' paint you are referring to? There is a section on the lower rocker panels that is covered with a protective finish and then painted that would resemble this. However, this protective finish is supposed to look like this.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Also check with Matt at Detailing Dynamics, Mineola, tell him I sent you. They can examine what's going on and make some suggestions.

Most Porsches, Mercedes, BMWs and others have this, and I've seen it on slab sided SUV's too - where it was hideous. On the smaller cars it usually is not quite as bad.

Good luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I will post some pics here on Saturday, after I wash it.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Jeeze guys it's not like you are lookin' at the side of a mackerel. So relax most people never micro-analyze the paint. The OP must have a keen eye and commented on what he observed.
What we are discussing is top tier detail work usually reserved for show cars, customs, hot rods, over restored muscle and classic cars. This is over the top ****-retentive stuff which takes a lot of time and/or money.
The factory paint job on the Porsche is better than 95% of all OEM manufacturers, this exercise goes beyond the factory spray to way over the next level.
The best example I can give is if you color sand and polish a pure black (no flake) Porsche, it will literally blow your mind. Liquid black glass is the best I can describe it.

Quick Reply: I think I have orange peel