Sponsored by:

Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
So, Prius owners who REALLY care about the planet should demand that their tires be filled with water vapor.
^ this
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

So, Prius owners who REALLY care about the planet should demand that their tires be filled with water vapor.
Pfaw! Half measures. Prius owners who REALLY care about the planet should find a nice, quiet, painless and politically correct way to take the Big Peace Out.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I think those prius owners should ride a bike or walk !
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and they should buy black cars rather than white or silver which reflect more solar radiation back into the atmosphere. Now I'll hand it off to Chuck911 for the science behind it!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hammer911
and they should buy black cars rather than white or silver which reflect more solar radiation back into the atmosphere. Now I'll hand it off to Chuck911 for the science behind it!
Well the science seems clear enough but maybe not quite what you're expecting so let me break it down, okay?

White cars reflect all the light hitting them off in all directions which is why they look, you know, white. Black cars absorb a lot of light, and if the car is highly polished this light tends to be directed more than scattered. The science in this case is settled, as I'm sure you will agree, shiny black cars just plain look better.

The science on this as regards global warming is equally clear. Because the black car absorbs light it gets hotter faster than a white car. As it heats up it starts to radiate this heat energy back into the atmosphere. Light and heat are the same electromagnetic phenomena, but the wavelength of the spectrum we arbitrarily call "heat" is longer than the shorter wavelength radiation we call "light".

Our atmosphere is made up of elements and molecules that allow shorter wavelengths to pass through more readily than longer wavelengths. In plain English, light comes in, heats things up, and the heat is held in by the atmosphere.

This is the concept involved in the phrase coined by that greatest of science popularizers, Carl Sagan, greenhouse gases. Ol' Carl came up with the idea back when NASA was trying to understand unexpectedly high temperatures on Venus. Carl realized that an atmosphere comprised ALMOST ENTIRELY OF CO2 http://www.space.com/18527-venus-atmosphere.html would allow light to pass while trapping heat, resulting in the hottest planet in the solar system.

Global warmists want to take a concept that applies to a planet with 96% CO2 and apply it to a planet where CO2 is a trace element, 0.001%. One begins to appreciate the extent to which ideology trumps science. Higher global average temperatures also highly correlate with periods of economic growth, crop yields, population growth, and lower mortality. Colder periods, ice ages, are just plain bad for humans across the board.

So the science is clear, if a bit shocking for the PC indoctrinated ear. The Warmist who wants to do everything to ensure the most humanly inhospitable climate possible should by all means buy a white car. Drivers who want a car that improves life for everyone around them by warming the planet and being just plain beautiful should buy a black 991 and keep it as shiny as possible. For the sake of all mankind.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:26 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many humans have you talked to from the last ice age? I also wonder what the people in Africa think about your theories regarding economic growth and higher crop yields during times of increased heat.

I could give a **** about global warming but think you are making some pretty broad statements that quite frankly belong in another forum.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Well there's a long tradition of threads that have run their course occasionally running off on a tangent. But point taken. When the subject is nitrogen we have no business talking about Africa.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I use only certified German air in my tires, and rotate it quarterly.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

I'll take the blame - I didn't exactly steer us off course, we were already there, but I did provide a deep enough rut to make getting back onto the roadway without overshooting into oncoming traffic more of a challenge.

Back on point: I use the nitrogen, my dealer provides the service at a very attractive price (anyone else who is on their 8th car plus referrals probably gets a good deal too!) and I can report anecdotally my tires pressures have been very constant.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

I use pure UF6 in my Pirellis, shipped in by rail car from the Pantex plant. It doesn't leak at ALL, even when I run over those pesky spike strips I keep finding on the highway.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I use pure UF6 in my Pirellis, shipped in by rail car from the Pantex plant. It doesn't leak at ALL, even when I run over those pesky spike strips I keep finding on the highway.
Uranium hexafluoride, eh?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are using the high enrichment stuff, just make sure you maintain a safe geometry from a critically standpoint and keep the moderator, such as yourself, away. I would hate to lose you in a blue flash.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

While it may be the Pirellis, my 991 is the worst car I've ever had for maintaining tire pressure (with and without temp changes) and the only car with nitrogen in them. I'm going back to humid (and free) Atlanta air.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

from what I read, it's not good in the rain.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jay-S
While it may be the Pirellis, my 991 is the worst car I've ever had for maintaining tire pressure (with and without temp changes) and the only car with nitrogen in them. I'm going back to humid (and free) Atlanta air.
That's weird. Has nothing to do with the car you know. Or nitrogen. Have you tried having a tire shop soap everything for leaks? Probably something simple like leaky valve stems.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen