Sponsored by:

Someone backed into my 991....Grrrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Always hate to hear when this happens.

Fortunately, where you are in Florida you will be able to find a great shop that will take their time and get the peel to match exactly. You may have to have it done a couple of times but a really good body shop will be able to match the color sand exactly. The last time I had my rear bumper on my CLS painted by a really great shop here in L.A. they did such a perfect job matching it I forgot it had been repainted and it was black as well.

Isn't it always the case.... It doesn't matter if I'm driving my Prius, my 1996 Impala (with perfect paint) or the C2S I almost always part in the last parking spot all the way on the end or rear of the parking lot and some guy (or gal) has the entire rest of the parking lot and decides to park right next to me in their beat up 2002 Expedition. ???? Never fails. I don't care if my wife and daughter make fun of me for parking a half mile away. I'll continue to do it anyways.

Once you get it fixed you will worry a little less about where you park in the future because it's had it's first you know what. Again, sorry to hear and we feel for you!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Porsche would hurry up and install a decent back-up camera in the 991's. It would be awesome if you could set this into a 'record constantly' mode for when you had to park in a lot like this - as long as it didn't drain the battery too much. It would be great to have evidence on a recording....
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of the issues here in Florida is that the average age of the driving population is deceased and they rarely know if they hit anything.
This was an incident a few years ago when a motorcyclist was stopped at a light. He was waiting for it to change , and a 90+ yo driver came up behind him and ran right over him. He claimed later that he always likes to stop at the line. He obviously spent more time looking for the stop line than looking at the motorcycle.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer7
I will definitely be parking far out on the parking lot.. but even that is not going to be fool proof. Being so far out, you are also away from the lot security cameras as well, as possible vandals have more privacy.
Very true. It's a tradeoff between folks unintentionally dinging your car to those who will very intentionally do it when the car is out of view of cameras, etc.

I can't believe how some people just key your car for the hell of it. That happened to me once, I just had the car repainted, went to a festival.. when I returned, someone keyed the entire side of my car! I would be so upset if that were to happen to me in the future. I am keeping a 2nd car on hand just for times where I have to drive and park it in an area I don't trust enough.
One of the main reasons I keep another car around.

lol the person that comes up with some virtual security bubble for your car, is going to make a killing.
Here's a low tech alternative...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...-in-car-md.jpg
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpilot
Very true. It's a tradeoff between folks unintentionally dinging your car to those who will very intentionally do it when the car is out of view of cameras, etc.

One of the main reasons I keep another car around.
Those are the cases I worry about the most.. you hear that all the time..
Cars damaged intentionally.. out of jealousy? whatever juvenile reason, they are all stupid and you are helpless to stop it.
I am just knocking on wood that this will not happen to me and make sure I have adequate insurance incase it does.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
I was parked in a space. Left the car for 1 hr to have dinner. Get back and find a scratched rear bumper just right of the plate recess and other scratches and pain chips. Not dents at least. It's bad enough to get your pristine 991 damaged, but the a..holes never leave a note. Now the thought of having to have the whole rear bumper repainted is a little sickening.
This happened to me at work, only people in my garage are my co-workers. no note. I feel your pain, good news is it is only a bumper.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh, I don't know about the note. Walking out of Safeway one day first thing I noticed was a note under the wiper. Read note. Saw dent. Felt awful. Read note again. Still felt awful.

Quick Reply: Someone backed into my 991....Grrrrrrr