Someone backed into my 991....Grrrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone backed into my 991....Grrrrrrr

I was parked in a space. Left the car for 1 hr to have dinner. Get back and find a scratched rear bumper just right of the plate recess and other scratches and pain chips. Not dents at least. It's bad enough to get your pristine 991 damaged, but the a..holes never leave a note. Now the thought of having to have the whole rear bumper repainted is a little sickening.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

So sorry!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow sorry man

sent with iOS using Rennlist
Old 10-12-2013, 10:27 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a bummer. Very sorry it happened to you. In case you did not check in your moment of 911 agony, please go back where you were parked and look around and see if you see any surveillance / security cameras around from any business nearby. Good luck and I hope it gets fixed up perfectly for you.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Very sorry.

Take several pictures, and document the repair as being many cosmetic, and not the result of an accident. This may help you one day down the road.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:03 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Man, so sorry to hear that.

Happened on my Boxster S several years ago; still had the dealer plate on it. Entire back bumper was repaired and repainted.

However, I had a fantastic body shop repair it and the paint was matched beautifully. Since it was only a couple of weeks after I had purchased the car, when I sold it the paint still looked fantastic and matched perfectly. It did not affect the value of the car at all.

Just hang in there, you'll get her fixed up and she'll be good as new!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This really makes me angry. Leaving a note is a thing of the past when people actually took responsibility for their own actions. Sadly, that is no more.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:16 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news. Its happened to me plenty of times. In my experience the fantastic body shops like Scotty found are very few and very far between. I would be very leery of having the whole panel repainted. You'd be surprised how well scratches and chips can be filled and blended in. Anything not going down to primer can be polished, completely or mostly, depending on how deep and how much paint you're willing to remove. Touch up and color sand the chips. Couple hours work, you'll have them pretty well gone. I know it hurts now but it was bound to happen anyway. Not for this reason, and maybe not right where it happened, but the fact is its near impossible to use a car and never pick up any damage. I've lost count how many times stuff like this has happened to me...
Old 10-12-2013, 03:43 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

I'm really sorry this happened to you. I fully agree with the other person who suggested looking around where you had parked for cameras. Look carefully because often they're small and well hidden. If you see anything remotely that could be a camera - be firm with the garage that footage needs to be saved given what amounts to a hit and run. Footage on such systems is often recycled fairly quickly - all depends on how much storage space they have to store the video. I hope that will pan out for some leads. Stunning they didn't even leave a note and just drove off. At least thankfully there don't seem to be dents. That's at least fortunate.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, same thing happen to me with my gtr with only 3 months old, sorry that it happen to your 991, get it fix and forget about it, don't let it linger, go out and enjoy that baby, I did.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

lonnie sorry to hear this.

Please post some pics.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

The damage would look so minimal from a picture and the scape along the lower contour line where the bumper meets the lower rubber piece wouldn't even show up. In person, it's just like seeing a thing of beauty and then your eyes fall on this area and it's like a knife is stuck into you...ugh.
Hopefully I will get it in this week. Fortunately my insurance co (USAA) has already made a reservation for me to get a rental and the paint shop is the one that Champion Mtrs uses (called Stuttgart International). It's suppose to do really perfect repairs.
The low deductible came about because before I got the 991, I heard of the premiums some people were paying for wheel insurance. It turned out that USAA would cover the wheels it I got the $50 collision deductible. The outcome was that it is costing me about $500 more per year over a $500 deductible policy.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:49 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

I feel for you as your P car is brand new! See my post on the 997 forum 'help w injured..' Yours sounds not nearly as bad. Good luck.
J
Old 10-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

An insurance claim triggers a Carfax report which in turns really hurts the resale value of your car no matter how much documentation you have so it is best to just pay it out of your pocket. A good shop can remove, fill and repaint a whole bumper without it costing an arm and a leg - only issue is if you try to just blend a spot which is difficult and can show as time goes on.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Explorer7
Instructor

One of my biggest fears.. you park your car and return to find it damaged..

I will definitely be parking far out on the parking lot.. but even that is not going to be fool proof. Being so far out, you are also away from the lot security cameras as well, as possible vandals have more privacy. I can't believe how some people just key your car for the hell of it. That happened to me once, I just had the car repainted, went to a festival.. when I returned, someone keyed the entire side of my car! I would be so upset if that were to happen to me in the future. I am keeping a 2nd car on hand just for times where I have to drive and park it in an area I don't trust enough.

lol the person that comes up with some virtual security bubble for your car, is going to make a killing.

Quick Reply: Someone backed into my 991....Grrrrrrr