Sponsored by:

Car and Driver ranks the Corvette above the 991s

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by rocklegend
I would guess most of the forum members on rennlist and corvette forum are the older group (50+) and not really care much what others think about them when buying a certain car. It's usually the younger set that care more about their image.
That could make sense.

As for your experience owning a C5 did you ever wave to other Corvette owners? And are the porsche owners just as nice?
Yes, and yes.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only "article" that mattered to me was titled:

"Hammer911 wants a new 991 C4S, not interested in anything else."
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wrote my own article, too. It was very short. In fact, here is my article in full...

I've owned two Corvettes. I thought they were great cars, then I owned two Porsche 911's... and I know this now, I'm not buying anymore Corvettes.

The End
Old 10-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom line:The vette's average buyer is 61 yrs old and a blue collar type. The Porsche 911, 59 yrs old and professional. What did GM use as the car to beat for the new vette? You are right the 911. But how did they do it? With twice the displacement and push rods. It's not elegant at all but it performs the same fundamentally. Which execution do you want? Elegant or Ham Fisted?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
But how did they do it? With twice the displacement and push rods. It's not elegant at all but it performs the same fundamentally. Which execution do you want? Elegant or Ham Fisted?
Don't forget the leaf springs.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Don't forget the leaf springs.
Which are totally not a suboptimal, obsolete technology, but an instance where GM is doing it right and everybody else is doing it wrong. Besides, they paid the Romans good money for those patent rights.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You guys nervous ?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Para82
You guys nervous ?
Non sequitur. (Does not follow)

Would you like a sandwich?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I wrote my own article, too. It was very short. In fact, here is my article in full...

I've owned two Corvettes. I thought they were great cars, then I owned two Porsche 911's... and I know this now, I'm not buying anymore Corvettes.

The End
Me too. C5, C6, 997, 991 and no turning back.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the new Corvette is awesome. GM has done a great job. Much better looks. Much better quality. Fantastice performance. Kudo's to GM! If I couldn't afford a 991 it might actually be on my shortlist. Here is the question you have to ask the magazine reviewers. You can have a new Vette or a new 991. Both optioned any way you want. You get to drive it for 4 years as a daily driver. You can't sell it and have to return it after 4 years and then go back to your corolla.Pick!
Well friends,I made my choice and my 991/50 is on the boat and I will have it in a couple of weeks. I know it cost THREE times the price of the Vette. But price wasn't a consideration and I have never cross shopped a Vette (this will be my 4th 911). Let me repeat myself:The new Vette is a wonderful car and I'm sure all the new owners will just love it!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM
rpilot
Pro

I always wonder what business it is of a car magazine to score value.. Is that not best left to the reader? Why was a Toyota Corolla not thrown into this comparison then? It would probably score +500 points over a 911 and the C7 thereby winning car of the year or whatever.... Value has a lot more variables involved than just price, individual financial circumstances being a big variable in this equation too.. That's not to say they should not exclude cars whose price is way off the median like a Ferrari or Bugatti or whatever. If they think the 911 falls into that category they should perhaps exclude it rather than dock points for price.

I like the other magazine's "Best Drivers Car" approach a bit better. Even though it is more subjective, when did that stop any of us. I would buy a 911 again even if it lost.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I voted with my wallet and got a 991, my first 911, but you guys disparaging the C7 are nuts. It's a great car. I noticed when early information about the C7 first started trickling out how many guys on the Rennlist GT-3 sub-forum said they'd be getting one along with their 911's. They must be able to put their bias aside more than us over here.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocklegend
Why are Porsche owners afraid to own a Corvette? I never knew people bought cars based on what others thought of them. There seems to be some insecure owners. People act like lap times don't mean anything, if the 991 was faster everyone would be saying look how much better it is than the C7. But when it's slower, a lot of porsche owners just say "I don't get that visceral feel" or "it's fast but the interior in the porsche is a lot better".
General Motors overall quality compared to Porsche.

And INTERIOR design and matetials. Thats why.

If they could contract someone outside of the company to design and choose the Materials and assemble the Interiors to bring them up to snuff with the rest of the world.

That is what a lot of people have a problem with the Corvette. How many people remember Clarkson test driving the older vette on BBC Top Gear and the upper, top seat belt loop broke! Now that speaks VOLUMES.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
The truth is the 991 is overpriced. Even my Porsche salesman said most of his 911 customers just went away with new 911 hitting $140+. Great car, but not a great value.
Bingo.

I bought a new 997S convertible and that was and still is about the edge of my reasonable limits for buying new, at least for now. In fact, maybe I shouldn't have bought it. Anyway, it's not just some abstract "value" calculation where a theoretical buyer could write a check for either car and so they put value on their list of priorities. It's more than that. There are many of us in financial positions where the new 911's, especially the turbo, are now really out of our realistic price range (yes, *could* make it happen, but just not wise).

When I equip my desired Carrera S and compare it to the Stingray, it's about twice the price. If I treat myself to options that look good then I can get it to almost 3 times the price of the Corvette. So then I start comparing used 911's to the new Stingray to get the price closer, but then the performance gap is very large (Porsche falls behind).

It's not an easy dilemma. You can acknowledge the faults of the Corvette but then you also have to ask yourself if they're worth $50K+ to deal with vs. the Porsche, or alternatively if the subjective factors of the Porsche are really worth $50k+ to you. And for those of us with more limited means than others, that $50k+ is no small margin.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

50K is a bunch of money. Porsche's have never been cheap. Just something you do if you can and want to.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver ranks the Corvette above the 991s