kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yup and so did AP and the GT team.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

the thing I like about the buttons is they're push/pull instead of left right, and they follow the wheel. No thinking involved
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
the thing I like about the buttons is they're push/pull instead of left right, and they follow the wheel. No thinking involved
1++
Old 09-27-2013, 05:13 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
I dont really know why porsche does this.

Get rid of the stupid toggles and make all pdk wheels w paddles. Then offer a mf version as an option. Geez
Or even better. I'd love some steering column mounted paddles !
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Because the buttons actually work pretty darned well.
I agree the buttons work well, but my brains does not!!! My wife has a BMW, the "Manual" on the stick is forward - backwards +, which is very intuitive, its like shifting from 1st to 2nd for speed and downshifting from 4th to 3rd for reduce speed. Yes, I do remember the old cars where 1st was down not up!

Porsche is the opposite, and before we go on to say who is right, the new GT3 finally fixes this to the BMW (All other cars) method.

The PDK shifter plays the same mind trick, much easier to learn right for up, left for down, specially if you have other cars !!!!

BTW go to England and drive a stick shift car, its the same stick, and you will see how your brain plays tricks on you.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I've said it in a previous post and will mention it again fwiw: I had the base tiptronic wheel before I switched to the Sports design wheel with paddles. With the previous wheel I encountered instances where I accidentally leaned on the buttons switching gears - scary! This happened mainly when I tracked the car which was a showstopper for me right then and there. Many won't track their cars so perhaps not as big an issue.
Having said that, in normal day to day driving I notice myself using the paddles almost very time I drive due to the ease (and fun) in flipping them. I find them so much more engaging than the switches. I almost never used the switches when I had the old wheel.
Why did I have the tiptronic wheel in the first place? I bought the car off the lot. Since then I swapped out the wheel and put spacers on. It had all the other options I would have picked. I am fulfilled!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:13 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too had a Tiptronic car (996 TT Cab) and switched to the RAID wheel with paddles. Now I have 3 cars (996 TT Cab, 991S X51 Cab and 2012 BMW 650 Cab and the paddles operate in the same manner on all 3! Unfortunately the BMW manual stick shifting and the 991 aren't the same but I virtually never use the stick manual shift on the BMW but do on the 991 sometimes.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:10 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Apart from playing the PSE organ, I leave PDK to do its job. The way it is programmed in Sport it does it astoundingly well at normal speeds and even better at track speeds.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
I've said it in a previous post and will mention it again fwiw: I had the base tiptronic wheel before I switched to the Sports design wheel with paddles. With the previous wheel I encountered instances where I accidentally leaned on the buttons switching gears - scary! This happened mainly when I tracked the car which was a showstopper for me right then and there. Many won't track their cars so perhaps not as big an issue.
Having said that, in normal day to day driving I notice myself using the paddles almost very time I drive due to the ease (and fun) in flipping them. I find them so much more engaging than the switches. I almost never used the switches when I had the old wheel.
Why did I have the tiptronic wheel in the first place? I bought the car off the lot. Since then I swapped out the wheel and put spacers on. It had all the other options I would have picked. I am fulfilled!
+++ Agree
Old 05-07-2016, 01:45 AM
jddarkhorse14
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY: sport design wheel on 991

I have a '14 3.4 with sport chrono. On another thread some mentioned that the dealer would have to re-program the wheel install? That doesn't seem right since its not MF/Heated wheel. Any confirmation on that. I would like to install myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport design steering wheel