Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:06 AM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad the previous owner of my car had a clear bra.
Bumper, hood, mirrors, rear wheel fenders. . .. this guy went to town with that stuff. But, he was a commuter. So the clear bra has a bunch of holes and scuffs. I just peeled it all off and the car looks great. (No color fade BTW)

So I AM the next owner that gets to enjoy the benefits.
Am I going to re do the clear bra, NO. We have a body shop if i get anything worse than regular road chips on the car.
I must say though, I am a little different than most when it comes to how I feel about my car. Even the finest of automobiles to me are nothing more than metal, glass, and rubber. (Or carbon fiber, fiberglass, and lexan . . whatever) A car is a tool, meant to be driven, and like almost anything else in this world they degrade over time.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
Bumper, hood, mirrors, rear wheel fenders. . .. this guy went to town with that stuff. But, he was a commuter.
Precisely the reason dealers promote the clear bra, besides making a tidy profit on the installation, it gets them pristine cars back to resell.

A car is a tool, meant to be driven, and like almost anything else in this world they degrade over time.
Kampai
Old 10-13-2013, 01:52 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Bumper, hood, mirrors, rear wheel fenders. . .. this guy went to town with that stuff. But, he was a commuter. So the clear bra has a bunch of holes and scuffs. I just peeled it all off and the car looks great. (No color fade BTW)

So I AM the next owner that gets to enjoy the benefits.
Am I going to re do the clear bra, NO. We have a body shop if i get anything worse than regular road chips on the car.
I must say though, I am a little different than most when it comes to how I feel about my car. Even the finest of automobiles to me are nothing more than metal, glass, and rubber. (Or carbon fiber, fiberglass, and lexan . . whatever) A car is a tool, meant to be driven, and like almost anything else in this world they degrade over time.
OK... I'm going to ask a silly, totally smart *** question:

If you see cars as merely a tool, meant to be driven and are nothing more than metal glass and rubber... why didn't you buy a Kia vice a 911?
Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyScotty71
OK... I'm going to ask a silly, totally smart *** question:
Thanks for the warning, it was certainly prescient!

If you see cars as merely a tool, meant to be driven and are nothing more than metal glass and rubber... why didn't you buy a Kia vice a 911?
For the same reason you might buy other types of tools at Snap-On rather than Harbor Freight. Not because you don't care about your tools, or because you plan to abuse them, but because you like them better, appreciate their superior ergonomics, performance and durability, and can afford them.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 PM
rglbegl
Racer

^^^
That was the same analogy I was going to use. Thanks Noah.

I grew up in the Automotive industry. Cars are a commodity, nothing more than an item to be moved, traded, bought, and sold all for a cash value. (Numbers on paper really) Some are worth more than others, some are rare, some are not. And something like a clear bra is just like putting a plastic case around your valuable baseball cards. It is to protect it so you can pull it out, show it off, get some enjoyment out of it while still trying to preserve its condition. (Bad comparison, rare BB cards go up in value, new cars usually dont, but you get the point)
Old 10-14-2013, 11:57 AM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

I grew up in the Automotive industry. Cars are a commodity, nothing more than an item to be moved, traded, bought, and sold all for a cash value. (Numbers on paper really) Some are worth more than others, some are rare, some are not.
Well my friend, I guess we are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum on this one. To you it's a car, to me it's so much more than that. And that's OK. To each his own!

For me, a Porsche 911 (a car that I have dreamed of owning since I was a little kid) means so much more to me than a collection of metal, glass and rubber. To be honest, realizing a life long dream of owning a 911 is probably more satisfying and enjoyable than the actual car itself.

Anyway, I'm sure you enjoy your car with or without protection. But in the end, I just don't see anything wrong with people wanting to protect an investment; whether its a $100k piece of metal, or something much more than that.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Last edited by FlyScotty71; 10-14-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Clear Bra Naysayers?!