Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:29 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does the manual say about oil temp. driving restrictions?
Old 05-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the manual and couldn't find any references although there are 4 (at least) engine wear related reasons why i keep the load low while the engine warms up... Even though that takes 6 - 8 miles... I'm certainly no expert on engine technology but i do understand the following phenomena well... I thought it worth putting these out there to demystify the subject...in summary;

1 - the pistons and block warm up and expand at different rates... Until stabilised the 'fit' of the piston and seals inside the cylinder wall is not suitable for high load... This is more related to coolant temperature but the next three both relate to oil temp....

2 - the oil viscosity reduces dramatically with temperature and will not provide adequate lubrication until the oil temp is high... Thus allowing wear.

3 - water condensate and other contaminants enter the oil when it cools... These need to boil off before the oil lubrication properties are optimum... And this requires the oil to be at high temp

4 - some oils change their molecular structure as they warm up and need to go through this change before the oil lubricates as designed... Hence high temp again
Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
It's right next to the part about changing the Bose-Einstein dielectric in the flux capacitor every 6 months or 20 parsecs, whichever comes first.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Under no circumstances should you to into Sport or Sport + until oil temperature at 165' F. This is according to the techies at my dealership. This can take 6-7 miles. Water temp ok at about 2 miles but oil is more important.
With a manual, I don't think Sport Mode has any impact except how much noise you here in the cabin and on the suspension. In other words, I can be in Sport Mode in a cold car so long as I drive conservatively.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
some oils change their molecular structure as they warm up and need to go through this change before the oil lubricates as designed... Hence high temp again
Change molecular structure - I don't think so.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3/4 ain't bad
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I try to drive gently (<4000RPM) in normal mode until the oil is up to temp. I have not timed or counted miles but have noticed it seems to take a long time to reach normal operating temp. However, that may just be my impatience while waiting to put the hammer down ( in a safe and legal manner, of course).
There is one other unusual thing I have noticed. When the car does reach operating temp, the needle seems to almost jump from cold to the normal "warmed up" temp. I check it frequently and one moment it's still cold, the next fully warm. Has anyone else noticed this?

Quick Reply: Oil temp