Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Brake Durability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure that part of the appeal is psychological...I won't argue that. I have read about that stone issue but I have not seen any actual reports from anyone. I won't drive on gravel roads at all. In forty years of driving I have never had a stone/brake issue and know of no one else who have had a problem like that. A colleague of mine has a 2010 TT with PCCB. He uses it as a DD and loves the brakes which have been problem free.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:09 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It says something that the 996 GT2 Competition brake package is the "Big "Yellow" calipers and steel rotors. One of our PCA members was tracking a Carrera GT and had a rotor break! He had Brembo make a special set of steel rotors for the car.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

and that is the key!.........I don't track my car. Also, as I mentioned, both those cars had generation 1 PCCB. My dealer fully admits they had many issues with those brakes. They told me that generation 2 were way better. I am hoping that these new generation 3 are even better than that.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:49 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
I am sure that part of the appeal is psychological...I won't argue that. I have read about that stone issue but I have not seen any actual reports from anyone. I won't drive on gravel roads at all. In forty years of driving I have never had a stone/brake issue and know of no one else who have had a problem like that. A colleague of mine has a 2010 TT with PCCB. He uses it as a DD and loves the brakes which have been problem free.
I have a fairly long ½ dia stone driveway so I get stones in the brakes all the time. Never had a problem, they usually spin right out but occasionally one will get trapped between the sheet metal shield on the inside and the rotor; it can make quite a racket and could possibly do damage. I gently pry the shield away from the rotor and the stone falls out.

I have put over 85,000 miles on two cars with PCCBs and change my own tires, never had an issue with damage to these rotors. Maybe I am just lucky.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Brake Durability?