Sponsored by:

Carrera -Ordering, Options and Observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
This thread speaks to the non-seasoned Porsche purchaser, a first time buyer or someone coming back to Porsche after a long absence, like myself. Except for importing a few grey market 911's in the '80's I have't even sat in a 911 until recently.
Anyway, you consider yourself a rational consumer.......right? But even if you are the least bit compulsive the MSRP goes up 20%, if you have no restraint whatsoever you could effectively double the price of the car.....yep $170+k !!
So the point is this, for newbies like myself, "Porsche" is the driving experience we are after, don't be pressured into purchasing options that may stress the experience,relax, it's a Carrera for gosh sakes.

Best, Bret.
Good advice. Treat the Configurator like a menu. Don't order more than is reasonable to make a good meal, and don't add all the numbers up to decide if the place is overpriced.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM
991 C2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it 3 weeks ago in a porsche dealer
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991 C2S
I bought it 3 weeks ago in a porsche dealer
Good job
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Good advice. Treat the Configurator like a menu. Don't order more than is reasonable to make a good meal, and don't add all the numbers up to decide if the place is overpriced.

Hehehe, I like the way you think..............now I'm friggin; hungry!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

OK,
You guys are really over analyzing this purchase thing. (Porsche is going to have a hit on me)
Example: on another thread is "leather seating". Now take for example you just ordered your Carrera with the "partial" leather seats...............it's a freekin' Porsche the seats will be 200% better than any other full musk-ox leather barka lounger seat in any other car.

It's OK................you bought a Carrera!!........smile dammit!!!

Last edited by MerlinsGarage; 08-30-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Have you tried to order one?
It's my fall back position if I can't save some money on a used one this fall. I'll order in winter for spring delivery. I think I can be happy with a $90k white with glass s/r, Bose and heated seats car. Hopefully for $82-83k. I'm such a simple guy with simple needs.
There is a black one that might meet your criteria on AutoTrader (ex the color) for 83K.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

if you can afford the car why worry about what it's worth 5 years from now? You are buying it for yourself not for the next guy/ gal. Get the color and option YOU want, you are the one who seats and looks at the car for the next 1825 days. Even if you are going to add $20K worth of "useless" option, that's only $11 more a day. Mine:

Racing Yellow P3
Leather interior in Black AZ
Wing mirror (lower part) painted CNL
SportDesign front apron XAS
Electric glass slide/tilt sunroof 653
Electric folding exterior mirrors 748
ParkAssist (front and rear) 636
Sport Chrono Package Plus 640
Power steering plus 658
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 250
19-inch Carrera wheel 411
Seat belts in Racing Yellow XHN
Instrument dial Sport Chrono stop clock in Racing Yellow CGE
Instrument dials in Racing Yellow XFR
Smoking package 583
Luggage net passenger footwell 581
Seat ventilation 541
Seat heating 342
Sports seats, electrical (14-way) with memory package P06
Rear centre tunnel in leather with decorative stitching XHS
Lid of storage bin with Porsche crest XPT
Extended interior package rear in leather CXN
Extended interior package dashboard trim in leather CZW
Multi-function steering wheel Carbon incl. steering-wheel heating XHL
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface P23
Burmester® High-end Surround Sound System 682
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by THPorsche
if you can afford the car why worry about what it's worth 5 years from now? You are buying it for yourself not for the next guy/ gal. Get the color and option YOU want, you are the one who seats and looks at the car for the next 1825 days. Even if you are going to add $20K worth of "useless" option, that's only $11 more a day. Mine:

Racing Yellow P3
Leather interior in Black AZ
Wing mirror (lower part) painted CNL
SportDesign front apron XAS
Electric glass slide/tilt sunroof 653
Electric folding exterior mirrors 748
ParkAssist (front and rear) 636
Sport Chrono Package Plus 640
Power steering plus 658
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 250
19-inch Carrera wheel 411
Seat belts in Racing Yellow XHN
Instrument dial Sport Chrono stop clock in Racing Yellow CGE
Instrument dials in Racing Yellow XFR
Smoking package 583
Luggage net passenger footwell 581
Seat ventilation 541
Seat heating 342
Sports seats, electrical (14-way) with memory package P06
Rear centre tunnel in leather with decorative stitching XHS
Lid of storage bin with Porsche crest XPT
Extended interior package rear in leather CXN
Extended interior package dashboard trim in leather CZW
Multi-function steering wheel Carbon incl. steering-wheel heating XHL
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface P23
Burmester® High-end Surround Sound System 682
"Afford" in relative terms means different things to different people, so $11/day would be true if you were financing the car, otherwise it's $20k cash.

Great build BTW, which model?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never configured a car at the Dealer. Only with the Tech-Quipment guys from Germany at the car shows. They know the product way batter than some of the sales folks at the dealerships. Besides I don't like going to the Combination Dealerships. Audi-VW-Porsche, at least here in Bakersfield. I like stopping by Porsche in Beverly Hills and LA, is that downtown(?).

If Audi would have offered their Audi TT RS with PDK, like they did in Europe, I would have bought one of them. Silly acceleration for that low cost. Think PCNA objected to that.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:00 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

You are stressin' your self out way too much...............Just write the friggin' check and start enjoying the Porsche !!!!!
My wife said almost the exact same thing to me after my two months of Internet surfing and dealer phone calls. I was trying to find the 'perfect build' in a used 991 to save money. It didn't exist. So I got the green light to order a new one. Have I got a great wife, or what!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:46 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
My wife said almost the exact same thing to me after my two months of Internet surfing and dealer phone calls. I was trying to find the 'perfect build' in a used 991 to save money. It didn't exist. So I got the green light to order a new one. Have I got a great wife, or what!
I had a similar experience... except I toyed with idea of a used/new 911 for almost 2 years (started with the 997.2 then GTS and then eventually the 991S)

My wife basically said: "Just buy the damn thing, order it brand new and I don't want to hear another word about it!"

Except that she hears about it everyday when I gush about how awesome it is to drive

I was very hung up on the options and resale value (yes, the money being spent here is relative to one's personal financial position and risk profile), but ultimately the bottom line is the same, buy what YOU want with the options YOU feel you need, you could go crazy trying to second guess the appeal of your vehicle to a potential second owner.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

"Afford" in relative terms means different things to different people, so $11/day would be true if you were financing the car, otherwise it's $20k cash.

Great build BTW, which model?
Just a Carrera
Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Just a Carrera
Hehehe, right the 991 has been out for nearly 2 years now and I have yet so see one on the road.................rare birds they are.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems rather simple to me.

1. Porsche wants to please the high end buyer who loves to pick and choose from seemingly countless options, etc. so the car is personalized and perfect for them.

2. You can get most of that same driving experience by buying new with just a few essential performance options. You'll save a lot over option #1.

3. Buy used and save a lot over #1 and #2 and be willing to be flexible on preferences or be willing to have patience and wait for the right car.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Seems rather simple to me.

1. Porsche wants to please the high end buyer who loves to pick and choose from seemingly countless options, etc. so the car is personalized and perfect for them.

2. You can get most of that same driving experience by buying new with just a few essential performance options. You'll save a lot over option #1.

3. Buy used and save a lot over #1 and #2 and be willing to be flexible on preferences or be willing to have patience and wait for the right car.
Well said.

Quick Reply: Carrera -Ordering, Options and Observations