Sponsored by:

Carrera -Ordering, Options and Observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carrera -Ordering, Options and Observations

This thread speaks to the non-seasoned Porsche purchaser, a first time buyer or someone coming back to Porsche after a long absence, like myself. Except for importing a few grey market 911's in the '80's I have't even sat in a 911 until recently.

I see alot of threads asking "what should I order? or must have's and really have this or that budget in mind".
The not so insignificant base price of the "Carrera" is $84,300, this model I consider to be the iconic Porsche. Period. Others have said, and I believe this to be Porsche's intension, base does not mean stripped, it comes with all the proper bits that would represent Porsche's "There-is-no-substitute" car philosophy.
Finding one on the dealer's lot with exactly what you want and nothing else is nearly impossible so like myself you want to personalize your new ride....... build your way. You strap in and spec it out. I do suggest you configure it first at home and not go straight to the dealership, you may fall victim to order-remorse.
Anyway, you consider yourself a rational consumer.......right? But even if you are the least bit compulsive the MSRP goes up 20%, if you have no restraint whatsoever you could effectively double the price of the car.....yep $170+k !!
So the point is this, for newbies like myself, "Porsche" is the driving experience we are after, don't be pressured into purchasing options that may stress the experience,relax, it's a Carrera for gosh sakes.

Best, Bret.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Carrera that is pretty stock. The only options I got were the sunroof, sport design steering wheel, and 20" carrera S wheels. I like my car a lot. I do think it's silly to add $20K of options, but that's just my personal opinion. It's easy to go crazy with options. Some people like that, so that's their thing.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Like a kid in the candy shop.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 PM
byk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the person. I rather get regular 991 instead of 991s, but I will get important stuff like PDK , Parkassists, Bose (very important for me) and Carrera S wheels. This all together will already add up to $7-8. Porsche options are very expensive. and also some people want to have some nice stuff like Sport steering wheel - $300, red seatbelts and red speedometer - all together around $1k, sport exhaust not to go with after market - $3k, seat heating is also kind of important depending on geographical location.

Everyone chooses the car properly and I am sure almost no one spends extra big $ for the options they don't need. I bet very almost no one here got Ceramic brakes for $8500.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM
spourreza
Pro

Porsche is a marketing genius. Charges for options that normally come standard on cars and makes certain buyers believe that they need ceramic brakes, LED lights or a 5k stereo in a small cabin with heavy interior noise....someone pays for these options, loses every penny on them and the next buyer gets them for free. But thats PCNA. They create a market for mostly useless wizardry which most people will never use unless on track. And all geared to improving performance by 1/4 of a second. Got to love it
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I have a Carrera that is pretty stock. The only options I got were the sunroof, sport design steering wheel, and 20" carrera S wheels. I like my car a lot. I do think it's silly to add $20K of options, but that's just my personal opinion. It's easy to go crazy with options. Some people like that, so that's their thing.
I might do something similar, although I would skip the 20s and get Bose and heated seats (Chicago car). And opt for the glass roof since it looks so nice with a white car.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by spourreza
someone pays for these options, loses every penny on them and the next buyer gets them for free.
Everyone says that, but why can't I find a car that remotely fits that description? Every 991 I see in the used market is asking $10k over base sticker if it has a few of those expensive options.

OK, here's a challenge for you: find me a 991, with some options (but not PDK) for under $80,000.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Have you tried to order one?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Have you tried to order one?
It's my fall back position if I can't save some money on a used one this fall. I'll order in winter for spring delivery. I think I can be happy with a $90k white with glass s/r, Bose and heated seats car. Hopefully for $82-83k. I'm such a simple guy with simple needs.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 PM
spourreza
Pro

991 hasn't been around that long. Not many available. I got mine as they were first being delivered. To test my theory, go and see the price of fully optioned 997's. even when the 991 wasn't around, the depreciation of the 997.2 was noticeable. Point, I purchased a 2011 997.2 fully loaded with less than 800 miles on it for 82k...MSRP was nearly of 108k at the time and this was before 991 was ever seen. Even my dealer joked how much these guys depreciate. Unless you have a 993, u are getting wacked on depreciation. Problem with your situation is that u are trying to test this theory with a car that hasn't been around long time. Wait a year. Options have zero monetary value to the next buyer since the original buyer already paid for them. Options may make a car easier to sell but the seller won't see anymore in their pockets. Maybe cents on the dollar for each option

Originally Posted by Chiboy
someone pays for these options, loses every penny on them and the next buyer gets them for free.
Everyone says that, but why can't I find a car that remotely fits that description? Every 991 I see in the used market is asking $10k over base sticker if it has a few of those expensive options.

OK, here's a challenge for you: find me a 991, with some options (but not PDK) for under $80,000.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Chiboy
Racer

991 hasn't been around that long. Not many available. I got mine as they were first being delivered. To test my theory, go and see the price of fully optioned 997's. even when the 991 wasn't around, the depreciation of the 997.2 was noticeable. Point, I purchased a 2011 997.2 fully loaded with less than 800 miles on it for 82k...MSRP was nearly of 108k at the time and this was before 991 was ever seen. Even my dealer joked how much these guys depreciate. Unless you have a 993, u are getting wacked on depreciation. Problem with your situation is that u are trying to test this theory with a car that hasn't been around long time. Wait a year. Options have zero monetary value to the next buyer since the original buyer already paid for them. Options may make a car easier to sell but the seller won't see anymore in their pockets. Maybe cents on the dollar for each option
Wow, you got a heck of a deal. Well, I am going to look through this fall before building one, so hopefully something compelling will show up.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM
991 C2S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I bought my 2013 $20k less MSRP with just 1800 miles on the odo
Old 08-29-2013, 04:43 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 991 C2S
I agree, I bought my 2013 $20k less MSRP with just 1800 miles on the odo
OK, but when did you get it? Lately? If so I look at it this way............

So, with a $130k MSRP minus 8% (discount if you work it) minus 5% 1 year depreciation (2013-2014) and 3-5% used car discount........sounds about right.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
OK, but when did you get it? Lately? If so I look at it this way............

So, with a $130k MSRP minus 8% (discount if you work it) minus 5% 1 year depreciation (2013-2014) and 3-5% used car discount........sounds about right.
In your example, what is the difference between 5% 1 year depreciation and 3-5% used car discount? And how can I find a seller who will accept all that? ;-)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

The 5% cost devaluation is for the '13 to '14 MY price difference as realized upon resale within 5 years.
This is about understanding new and used car economics, not what the dealership is or is not willing to accept.

Since new Porsches have a 10% MSRP to invoice ratio, successful negotiating is important to maximize initial depreciation losses.
Used vehicles, IMHO must be viewed from purely a value prospective, typically a savvy consumer's purchase will be priced somewhere between wholesale and retail for a used car.

My definition of wholesale (also my definition of value):
Purchasing a vehicle and having the ability to sell that same vehicle (including all incurred, costs: shipping, tax, tags, inspection, etc) the very next day for the same exact price (or more) with full history disclosure and zero issues............. ( In other words, NO monkey business)

So in this example, 20k off the price of a newly purchased used '13 with an MSRP of ~130k (and the car being essentially new-no stories) and a majority (this is important!) of the warranty in effect, seems to be in line with under retail pricing.
Anyway.
New or used, private or "Porsche Certified", on the lot or ordered, it is up to the individual to decide what is the most appropriate and tension free direction he or she wants to acquire a Porsche (or any specialty car for that matter). Because remember this is not basic transportation and in some instances a dream car, the pain-in-the-*** factor should be relatively low.
You are stressin' your self out way too much...............Just write the friggin' check and start enjoying the Porsche !!!!!!!

..............and smile Dammit !!!!

Quick Reply: Carrera -Ordering, Options and Observations