Sponsored by:

Who's the U-boat commander?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
That would be me... long story short, in a rush to get to a meeting, flash flood water nearly a foot deep, traffic keeps moving through it for miles, one stretch ahead looks very menacing. There are stalled cars and even the occasional SUV but people do continue to drive through the section ahead. I'm sitting in pretty deep water already and can feel the wave action rocking the car! Turning around would be difficult and means driving through very deep water again anyway, so I jump in behind a car plowing the water out of the way a bit - the wake from cars coming the other way is washing up my hood! Unf-ing believable but I can't stop or turn around now! I drive past a shocked tow truck driver getting ready to tow a car and the water is just below his knees (pushing 18" deep). At this point I know the engine is nearly submerged as are the door openings.

The car motors through without a sputter! No water into the interior either.

Yes, I know this was crazy, especially with a new $100k sports car, but there is a strange "got to keep moving" instinct in these situations... Certainly not endorsing anyone attempt this, just wanted to say Porsche builds an impressive water resistant car (at least when they're new)!
Maybe it's that floating VW bug DNA?
Good for you. I probably would have wetted the seat myself in that situation!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just don't try it in reverse!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:27 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Toll! Gute Arbeit.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM
carmmel04
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad you made it through. But way risky!! Curous though, if the exhaust pipes got submerged would the car not stall?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the technically adept could explain, why the tail pipe was not flooded and the motor did not stall. Or is it that the air intake is high, so all that gas needs to exit...which keeps the tail pipe open ?.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Exhaust system did flood and steamed for a while afterwards. Water would not present enough back pressure to stall the motor.
Anyway, a week and about 300 miles later, I guess I dodged a bullet. Right after the soaking I had a 100 mile high speed drive which would have dried everything thoroughly. I do admit to some paranoia regarding longer cranks, unstable idle and strange noises, but the car did this before... right?

Quick Reply: Who's the U-boat commander?