Sponsored by:

Who's the U-boat commander?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation Who's the U-boat commander?

That would be me... long story short, in a rush to get to a meeting, flash flood water nearly a foot deep, traffic keeps moving through it for miles, one stretch ahead looks very menacing. There are stalled cars and even the occasional SUV but people do continue to drive through the section ahead. I'm sitting in pretty deep water already and can feel the wave action rocking the car! Turning around would be difficult and means driving through very deep water again anyway, so I jump in behind a car plowing the water out of the way a bit - the wake from cars coming the other way is washing up my hood! Unf-ing believable but I can't stop or turn around now! I drive past a shocked tow truck driver getting ready to tow a car and the water is just below his knees (pushing 18" deep). At this point I know the engine is nearly submerged as are the door openings.

The car motors through without a sputter! No water into the interior either.

Yes, I know this was crazy, especially with a new $100k sports car, but there is a strange "got to keep moving" instinct in these situations... Certainly not endorsing anyone attempt this, just wanted to say Porsche builds an impressive water resistant car (at least when they're new)!
Maybe it's that floating VW bug DNA?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Umm... wow. That story is both scary with regard to your recklessness, and impressive with regard to your conviction in owning a solid car. :-)

In a similar note, I have a 2010 Mini Cooper that survived flood waters halfway up the door. No leaks. Just had to have the dealer inspect and clear out some dirt from the exhaust. New cars are impressive on their seals, I think.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Das Boot!

Quality seals are good.

Lucky is even better.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should add disclaimer to your post:
"Trained professional on closed course. Do not attempt to do this with your own car, use a rental. Kids- don't try this at home."
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you made it through, I was in one of those situations earlier this year and I had the same instincts as you and had to keep going. Keep telling myself no turning back now, it's going to be more of a pain to do that then try to make it through. I think if this problem presented it self again, I would choose an alternate route though.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Very Good Reason Why This Man Abandoned His Ferrari In A Flood

Just for Laughs
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Many years ago when I was young and reckless, I attempted to drive my Fiat X 1/9 through some high waters (at least a few of you will remember how tiny those cars were.) It got almost up to the window level and the headlights looked like swimming pool lamps going through the water. I was still going forward when water finally started coming in through the door seals. I drove up into a school where there was some covered parking, got out, and walked home. The next day I came to get it, most of the water had drained out of the weep holes but the carpet and jute lining under it were still wet.
Miraculously, the car started right up and never missed a beat, just took a few weeks of drying in the sun to get the wet (and smell) out. A local mechanic was amazed that it didn't ingest any water into the motor, and even more so that no electrical wiring corroded. I got lucky. I was 19.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fresh water?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whew! wow. Thanks for the story hehe!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM
jester
Intermediate

Wow. Scary. Cool. Might not call it wreckless since situations like this tend to be "unique". Sometimes one just needs to power through! Just so awesome that this worked. I've often wondered about what the wading depth these cars have because of where the air intake is - fairly high up right at the spoiler - and sitting at the back where you benefit from the wake.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow!! The same exact situation happened to me a couple of months ago. Water may not have been as high, but definitely high enough to get in the exhaust pipe. I was so scared, but there is no way back since it is a 2 lane/2 way small street with a huge line of cars behind me. I did exactly the same thing and stayed in the center of the road. I made it through. For a second, I thought I was gonna get stuck as I felt the car was slowing down.

I was pretty scared because I had a bad experience years ago. BMW stuck in flood, water came in the interior. Car was towed and cost $10,000 to fix.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:12 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow that is intense. Great line from a great movie!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i would never do it in the 991. but have in other cars... i was a pioneed in a flooded road with the smart the other day, but the engine is very high up... not much of anything to damage on it.. water was around 2ft deep..
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default U Boat memories...

Your mention of a U-boat reminded me of an experience I had when I was stationed in Germany in 1971.

I had a brand new 911T and I needed to garage it near where I was stationed near Stuttgart. I rented a detached garage from a German national (paid $10.month). After renting from him for about a year, he invited me into his house (Germans aren't too quick to invite strangers into their houses in those days). While he was getting the drinks, I wandered over to his fireplace and saw some pictures on the mantle. There he was, in one picture, standing proudly with his comrades on the deck of a U-boat! He was a U-boat captain during the war. Very strange feeling...
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

This is the image going through my head!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Who's the U-boat commander?