Sponsored by:

Entry/Drive option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Entry/Drive option?

Is it worth it? I do not feel that I want it. It is a part of the Premium Package Plus Pkg. which is a $2000 saving over having the options ordered separately. Are members satisfied with this option or is it a nuisance ?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that option in my BMW 650 and now also in the 991S. I specifically wanted it as it makes life so much easier not having to fish for keys in my pocket.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have this feature as part of a package. I'm mixed on it. The "key stub" that remains in the dash is ugly and I forget to give the key to a valet from time to time. So I removed the key stub and insert my key to turn on the engine. All other features work, like unlocking door just by pulling on handle. Using the key instead of the stub for turning on the engine also eliminates my one pet peeves: the frunk no longer opens automatically when washing the car. All in all its a nice feature but if I had to pay separately for the option I would probably skip it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it in my 2012 Cayenne turbo and my 12c and have gotten to really like it. I would order now on future cars if it were an option.

As a foot note, Ferrari's should have it. Instead, you insert the key, turn it on, then push the start button. Redundant steps!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

The systems I've had on my cars don't require the insertion of the key. So long as the key is in your pocket or inside the car, you start the car by pressing the brake and pushing a big, red "Start" button. On the 911 it's not that simple so the only benefit I see in it is the lock and unlock feature when you approach or leave the car. That's a great convenience in and of itself since it doesn't require you to have key or fob in-hand.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by alanjcook
I have this feature as part of a package. I'm mixed on it. The "key stub" that remains in the dash is ugly and I forget to give the key to a valet from time to time. So I removed the key stub and insert my key to turn on the engine. All other features work, like unlocking door just by pulling on handle. Using the key instead of the stub for turning on the engine also eliminates my one pet peeves: the frunk no longer opens automatically when washing the car. All in all its a nice feature but if I had to pay separately for the option I would probably skip it.
+1

I have done the exact same thing and it works fine for me.

I would have preferred a push button like every other car manufactured since 2010, since the stub is basically another (dummy) key!!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
+1

I have done the exact same thing and it works fine for me.

I would have preferred a push button like every other car manufactured since 2010, since the stub is basically another (dummy) key!!
+1.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Is it worth it? I do not feel that I want it. It is a part of the Premium Package Plus Pkg. which is a $2000 saving over having the options ordered separately. Are members satisfied with this option or is it a nuisance ?
I did not think so. Something about leaving something in the car (unless I misread the specs after 6 gummy bears & some scotch) that looks like a key freaks me out.

Last edited by holminator; 08-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it as part of the Premium Plus Pkg and went back and forth before ordering. Wasn't really sure I'd care for it all that much but now after five months I have to admit I really like it. Nice to be able to keep the fob in your pocket the whole time. I know some post that they forget to give the fob to a valet at times but for me, there is no way on earth any valet is going to drive my car so not an issue.

And thanks holminator for the video reminder of my college disco days!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I also like being able to keep the key fob in my pocket. The "key" stub bothered me at first but I kind of like it now.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't miss this on a weekend canyon carver like my NSX, but the 991 does double duty as a DD. For the latter, keyless entry is a real convenience IMO.

Spyder
Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really disliked having the "key" stuck in the ignition at first. I was concerned someone would look in the window, think "hey, this idiot left his key in the ignition!", break the window to steal the car and generally make a mess before learning it isn't going anywhere. But...I kinda like it now. It's convenient to forget about keys. I don't like having the fob open the front bonnet while I'm washing the car though. But if this is my biggest problem in life I think I'll be ok!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key stub doesn't bother me too much and I really appreciate the convenience of being able to lock and unlock the doors and open the frunk without removing the key fob from my pocket. I also ordered this option as part of Premium Package Plus because I have a problem in principle with a $100+k car without entry and drive, a feature that is found on most cars in the $20k range and up.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:47 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I also thought I would dislike it but absolutely LOVE the system after using it. It is an absolute must have on my future Porsches. And at first I felt the same as others about "why no push button" but then I realized I would miss the Porsche left hand key. If I want a push button start I can drive a Caddie or a Corvette or one of a dozen other cars. No thanks!!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have the leather key pouch matched to your interior, entry & drive makes even more sense, as to get the key out to insert, you have to unclip to let the key out of the pouch.

Quick Reply: Entry/Drive option?