Sponsored by:

Loaded C2S vs. GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Unless you are a track junkie, GT3 is OVERKILL.
I think that entirely depends on what one is used to driving.

However I agree there are posers out there... Of all Marques. I think most SUV drivers are complicit.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andy1
<snip> I don't think the Carrera S power pack is worth $18k ...
<snip>
Certainly the powerkit is a bit spendy, but it does include:

Modified cylinder heads and camshafts
Intake system
Center radiator
Sport Exhaust System
Sport Chrono Package including dynamic engine mounts
Revised engine control unit

So you get the $2950 Exhaust, the $1850 Sport Chrono with dynamic engine mounts, higher flowing heads and more agressive cam shafts, an improved intake, the center radiator, and a revised ECU (effectively a tune) all with a factory warranty.

You might get more bang for the buck in aftermarket parts, but retaining the warranty on a new car with a nice bump in performance is where the powerkit shines.

Ryan
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM
andy1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
[snip]

So you get the $2950 Exhaust, the $1850 Sport Chrono with dynamic engine mounts, higher flowing heads and more agressive cam shafts, an improved intake, the center radiator, and a revised ECU (effectively a tune) all with a factory warranty.

You might get more bang for the buck in aftermarket parts, but retaining the warranty on a new car with a nice bump in performance is where the powerkit shines.

Ryan
Ah, thank you-- I didn't realize it included exhaust and sport chrono package, plus a tune. It's starting to look pretty good, actually.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

I thought the 991S is faster around the ring than 997 GT3? Or am I misinformed?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
I thought the 991S is faster around the ring than 997 GT3? Or am I misinformed?
No you're not misinformed .... http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

But I always ask myself... is that important when buying a car, if you're not planning to track the car?
And even if you're planning to track a car, I just can't imagine that it would be a decising factor. You're probably never gonna match those times, since they've been set by professional racing drivers.

Or is it just me being a female and thinking that other things are more important haha

Suzy991
Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
No you're not misinformed .... http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

But I always ask myself... is that important when buying a car, if you're not planning to track the car?
And even if you're planning to track a car, I just can't imagine that it would be a decising factor. You're probably never gonna match those times, since they've been set by professional racing drivers.

Or is it just me being a female and thinking that other things are more important haha

Suzy991
Besides that- the N'ring is huge so anything less that a large time difference is immaterial in normal use.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM
andy1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I think I have a pretty good idea here. My choices now are between the following two configurations:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PE9NEL69 -- basic C2S with power pack and aero kit. $134k
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PEMNDM37 -- basic GT3 with front axle lift. $136k

That's the cheapest I can get either car with the options I want. The GT3 is only $2k more than the C2S. Tough choice!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't everyone just finish telling you all the reasons why you should not get GT3?
PL
Old 08-13-2013, 02:52 AM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The GT3 will hold its value way way better than the C2S when it comes time for you to sell it! So the cost of ownership will be significantly lower! For me the extra performance and just overall wow factor of the GT3 along with the much much lower production numbers if you can even get one there is no other choice in my eyes! However unless you have. A very good contact somewhere you will be waiting for one a long time is my guess.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but you will also get less of an initial discount on a GT3. Straight MSRP vs 7% equals about 10k.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

OK I think I have a pretty good idea here. My choices now are between the following two configurations:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PE9NEL69 -- basic C2S with power pack and aero kit. $134k
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PEMNDM37 -- basic GT3 with front axle lift. $136k

That's the cheapest I can get either car with the options I want. The GT3 is only $2k more than the C2S. Tough choice!
Ah- so you are not comparing a 997 GT3 to a 991S any more. No one here has any actual experience in one,but from the magazine and web tests, the 991 GT3 seems 1) to be a bargain, 2) not optimal for the use you described for it, but 3) a car worth experiencing in any case, if waiting is no longer of concern to you. If it turns out to be too much of a compromise as a daily driver not for the track, you should be able to move on with very little loss.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Your first post mentioned a long wait for the GT3. Do you already have an allocation for a GT3? I don't believe anyone is certain of how many units Porsche will build, but i am fairly certain that for the next 6 to 9 months there are going to be very few slots that become available. There is a lot of excitement surrounding the new GT3 and the waiting lists are long.

Personally I wouldn't use a GT3 as a daily driver, it just doesn't fit my needs. While my day job involves a desk, my daily driver is a diesel pickup that often gets a workout hauling goodies for my various hobbies.

I would certainly never tell someone not to buy the car they want, life is short - if you can afford it, buy it and enjoy it. If you want the GT3 and can stand the wait, put your order in and hang on. Based on all the initial media coverage it is different from previous GT3s, but awesome nonetheless.

If you do not have an allocation and feel you may get squeezed out, or you want a new car sooner, the C2S with the powerkit would be loads of fun on the street, canyon, etc. and very trackable if you decide to try a little HPDE in the future.

Ryan
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
True, but you will also get less of an initial discount on a GT3. Straight MSRP vs 7% equals about 10k.
This is a good note, if you go C2S you'll likely find dealers offering a nice discount. I've heard of forum members receiving as high as 8%.

At the 7% mentioned the separation between your C2S config and your GT3 config is $11k total.

Ryan
Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reidry
This is a good note, if you go C2S you'll likely find dealers offering a nice discount. I've heard of forum members receiving as high as 8%.

At the 7% mentioned the separation between your C2S config and your GT3 config is $11k total.

Ryan
...........and thats if, and a big if, the dealer lets it go for MSRP. To be the first on the block it will cost you additonal markup. IMHO of course. The dealers on this site can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
...........and thats if, and a big if, the dealer lets it go for MSRP. To be the first on the block it will cost you additonal markup. IMHO of course. The dealers on this site can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
There has been some discussion on this topic over in the 991 GT3 forum, at least for rennlister's we seem to be sticking to MSRP as the limit. When I was getting my allocation I found a few unscrupulous US dealers that were asking 5k to 20k over MSRP for a GT3 allocation. That was two months back so I imagine even those slots are gone now.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Loaded C2S vs. GT3?