Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ ^ ^ ^ Wow.

+1
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudyman
Stay away from costly options, and do all of your desired customizations in the after market after you have driven a no option car for a while. It is fascinating how good the base car is with no options! Options are such a personal thing... Personally, I thought I needed PSE, PASM and PTV. But after 12,000 miles in the 991 C2 I have decided that my no performance option car is perfect for me as is. Take your time and don't fall victim to the marketing spin machine that makes you think you need/want something.

I bought a brand new 991 in December for less than $78k. Same price most pay for Boxster/Cayman S.

Negotiate!
+1

Base is a great car. I personally did leather (hard for me not to at the price point even the base starts at and I wanted the interior to be more premium than my SUV or sedan...) but left the performance parts as is and got a MT to boot. It's a really fun, fast, natural feeling, and beautiful car that seems to get a lot of unwarranted put-downs.

But of course, this entire thread is going to be the opinion of every person who likes their car the way it is, so definitely look / test drive before listening to anyone else.

(And no, I don't track and don't sit in traffic with it, FWIW.)
Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a brand new 991 in December for less than $78k. Same price most pay for Boxster/Cayman S.

Negotiate!
Thanks. That is my fall back position. I think I can do something similar this winter/next spring.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

Stay away from costly options, and do all of your desired customizations in the after market after you have driven a no option car for a while. It is fascinating how good the base car is with no options! Options are such a personal thing... Personally, I thought I needed PSE, PASM and PTV. But after 12,000 miles in the 991 C2 I have decided that my no performance option car is perfect for me as is. Take your time and don't fall victim to the marketing spin machine that makes you think you need/want something.

Negotiate!
Must be pink with green interior. The dealer just offered me 90K for my Blk/BlK C2S with 7K miles
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Well, "S" is one of the most expensive letters in the Porsche alphabet.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM
ymg91150
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Well, "S" is one of the most expensive letters in the Porsche alphabet.
S for stitching? :-)
Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chiboy
As my eyes wander from the 2014 Cayman S to 911s, and I get caught up in how nice the 991 is, my budget starts getting higher and higher. I doubt any of you have ever been there, but that's where I am. ;-)

So, as previously posted, I am looking for a base 991, not heavily optioned, that I can fit in my ever expanding budget. This means either a lightly optioned used 991, or maybe, possibly, a leftover new 991. Or even a custom build this winter for spring delivery of a 991 with what I consider only the essentials.

Living in Chicagoland, I need heated seats. And I want a good stereo. And I thankfully, from a budget perspective, prefer a manual. Are there any other "must have" options? I might go for a glass roof as well. I probably am willing to live without carbon fiber ash trays and red seat belts. ;-) And I won't be tracking the car. Opinions?
After 10k+ miles, the only option I would say is number 1 if you intend on REALLY hitting the twisty back roads and using launch control is PDCC.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Michael T
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I always think of resale. I ordered the sunroof and PDK, must have options for me and on resale. The sport steering wheel is a must have with PDK.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I specified the 3.4L versus the "s" because Top Gear and Robb Report both said it was the "sweeter" of the two engines, and so far I'd have to agree.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Key Left
I specified the 3.4L versus the "s" because Top Gear and Robb Report both said it was the "sweeter" of the two engines, and so far I'd have to agree.
Not to make this a stupid "S" versus Base conversation b/c to each his own...but I took an intermediate race class at NJ Speedway a few days ago with an instructor for 5 hours and had an opportunity to race/test Base, "S", C4 and C4S. Did hit about 135mph so did push them modestly. To be completely honest, it was freakin tough to tell the base and S from eachother. Instructor (was a PCNA instructor in Alabama as well) agreed. He said he preferred the 3.4 over the 3.8 and he thought Porsche was on to something. But who knows, its all opinion. I know for me, I only miss not getting PSE. Wouldnt turn back from base, especially after the back to back experience on the track.

I know some have said there is no point to the base model with the new 981…I tracked the 981 2 weeks ago and it definitely was not as much fun to drive (the 991 felt more grounded but I couldnt say that about my 997.2) but again, thats my opinion.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:10 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
..... I know some have said there is no point to the base model with the new 981…I tracked the 981 2 weeks ago and it definitely was not as much fun to drive (the 991 felt more grounded but I couldnt say that about my 997.2) but again, thats my opinion.
I don't know why you are so surprised. The 991 is known to be faster that last years S, and its aural qualities are wonderful- free them up with PSE!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 AM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
I know for me, I only miss not getting PSE.
Me too! I might need to add PSE someday. I absolutely love my base:
- PDK + Sport Chrono + Sport design steering
- Full leather (blue!)
- Bose
- Glass sunroof

It didn't break the bank and after 16,000 miles, I can't think of anything I should have added - besides PSE! I've tracked it a couple of times and it far exceeds my abilities.

Honestly, I would be very happy with an absolutely bum-basic base - zero options MT.

Do not be tempted by PASM, PTV, PDCC. My base on 19'' wheels feels so lively, so happy to wag its tail, it's simply intoxicating.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hepmonk
- Full leather (blue!)
Interesting combo with the yellow, pictures please.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@mtbscott, here are pics of yellow and blue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7469...l#post10346181
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hepmonk
@mtbscott, here are pics of yellow and blue: