Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Must Have" Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a good basic car. Maybe you should sell it to me. You REALLY do need full leather! lol
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by barihunk
I don't think it's essential to get the S at all. I have to respectfully disagree with the "go S or go home" folks. Save the 15k or so and take a nice vacation or something. Which isn't to say the S is a bad car, but I see where you're coming from (Cayman S to 911) and one shouldn't be caught in the perpetual upsell, which Porsche is expert at.

Get the car you want, and order it that way.
+1

I have a lightly option base too, and it is a brilliant car and arguably the purer sportscar, truer to the 911 roots than the S is ! But that is all blabla offcourse. What is not blabla is your own situation. In your case, when pushing the limits of your budget to upgrade from a cayman to a 991, keep it pure. It is a great, great car, even lightly optioned and miles better than a fully loaded cayman s.
I know I love my base !
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 AM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
As my eyes wander from the 2014 Cayman S to 911s, and I get caught up in how nice the 991 is, my budget starts getting higher and higher. I doubt any of you have ever been there, but that's where I am. ;-)

So, as previously posted, I am looking for a base 991, not heavily optioned, that I can fit in my ever expanding budget. This means either a lightly optioned used 991, or maybe, possibly, a leftover new 991. Or even a custom build this winter for spring delivery of a 991 with what I consider only the essentials.

Living in Chicagoland, I need heated seats. And I want a good stereo. And I thankfully, from a budget perspective, prefer a manual. Are there any other "must have" options? I might go for a glass roof as well. I probably am willing to live without carbon fiber ash trays and red seat belts. ;-) And I won't be tracking the car. Opinions?
What are you going to use the car for? Any track days in your future? Daily driver or weekend toy? Keep forever or flip in three years? Without this information, I'm not sure how anyone can chime in on options.

Love the fact that you like the Base Carrera over the S. Drove one at the Porsche World Roadshow in June. Only car I liked more was the C4S, but conditions were a bit greasy on track so that may have influenced my thinking.

If you are moving your budget up from a Cayman S to a Base 991, I would be quite selective of options and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised by the price differential, especially if you are lucky enough to find a used one spec'd the way you like it. Unfortunately the MT choice will limit used options but I agree with MT over PDK.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM
tangram
Racer

Originally Posted by bccars
+1

I have a lightly option base too, and it is a brilliant car and arguably the purer sportscar, truer to the 911 roots than the S is ! But that is all blabla offcourse. What is not blabla is your own situation. In your case, when pushing the limits of your budget to upgrade from a cayman to a 991, keep it pure. It is a great, great car, even lightly optioned and miles better than a fully loaded cayman s.
I know I love my base !
Ahem. MILES better? Cue the hyperbole.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by tangram
What are you going to use the car for? Any track days in your future? Daily driver or weekend toy? Keep forever or flip in three years? Without this information, I'm not sure how anyone can chime in on options.

Love the fact that you like the Base Carrera over the S. Drove one at the Porsche World Roadshow in June. Only car I liked more was the C4S, but conditions were a bit greasy on track so that may have influenced my thinking.

If you are moving your budget up from a Cayman S to a Base 991, I would be quite selective of options and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised by the price differential, especially if you are lucky enough to find a used one spec'd the way you like it. Unfortunately the MT choice will limit used options but I agree with MT over PDK.
Daily driver, but low miles -- probably 3,000/year unless we use it for longer trips. No track -- I've done that with my first 911 ('89), but I think insurance coverage changes will preclude me from considering that again, which is fine. I tend to buy myself the right car and keep it 6 or 7 years. I currently have a 2004 M3 that I still think is a great car, it's just that I started test driving Porsches.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
John O'
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a well optioned '12 991S with 3,800 miles that I want to sell. I have an opportunity to get a build slot for the new Turbo. The original MSRP was $117k and has all of the must have options. The color is Red/Tan.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by John O'
I have a well optioned '12 991S with 3,800 miles that I want to sell. I have an opportunity to get a build slot for the new Turbo. The original MSRP was $117k and has all of the must have options. The color is Red/Tan.
Sounds perfect, except for the price!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:45 AM
John O'
Track Day

I am thinking that $97,500 is the price I will want for the car.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by John O'
I am thinking that $97,500 is the price I will want for the car.
When you add in legal costs and the divorce settlement, it gets to be a really expensive car.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:54 AM
John O'
Track Day

Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM
tangram
Racer

Daily driver, but low miles -- probably 3,000/year unless we use it for longer trips. No track -- I've done that with my first 911 ('89), but I think insurance coverage changes will preclude me from considering that again, which is fine. I tend to buy myself the right car and keep it 6 or 7 years. I currently have a 2004 M3 that I still think is a great car, it's just that I started test driving Porsches.
The fact that you are keeping the car a while leads me to suggest that you should option it up a bit more than if you planned on having the car a couple of years. Not much of a commute!

Given the crappy roads in Chicago I would get PASM. I continue to scratch my head when it comes to the popularity of PSE. I am in the minority thinking there are better ways to spend my money. Most owners LOVE it. Boys will be boys. Spring for the Sportdesign steering wheel. Not expensive and a really nice wheel. Perhaps Bose? I have it and it is okay but haven't compared to the base stereo. Leather interior is also very very popular. I went with the standard interior in black and honestly I think it is very high quality and looks great.

So I started saying that you should option a bit more and then ended with recommending very few options. Hmm. Porsche's profit margin is likely off the charts on options (that's why the base cars are very basic) but in terms of driving enjoyment, the base car with zero options is, dare I say it, good bang for your buck.

Incidentally, I just optioned a base Carrera the same as my recently purchased Cayman S and the price difference was a whopping $25,000 here in Canuckistan, home of automotive highway robbery.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

When you add in legal costs and the divorce settlement, it gets to be a really expensive car.
Just explain that PSE gives better mileage.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Chiboy
Racer

I'm actually joking about the divorce. My wife is perfectly fine with whatever I get, at least so far. But I can hardly believe I've talked myself into spending $70k to maybe $80k, and just refuse to get going up and up. Sorry, I'm sure that's not a popular sentiment around here, LOL.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
My $.02, either spend the extra for the S; or get a Boxster S or Coxster S instead. To be honest, given the read above you should really be looking at the 981 S models. They are now equal in performance with the base Carrera models while costing over $20k less. I personally don't see a reason for the Base Carrera model to exist given the complete lack of performance advantage.

BTW, unless you order it yourself you won't find one that isn't heavily optioned. Out of my 3 local dealers, the lowest stickered base Carrera is $99K; and it is the only one any of them have below 6 figures. Also, if you want a clutch pedal you will also most likely need to order. Most dealers no longer spec manual cars anymore unless it is a customer order.

One last thing to consider, you may be able to get a remaining 997.2 S model for a bargain price or look at a CPO. One of my coworkers was looking to trade his 09' C2S in on a new 991S. Prices of all the cars were so high, he instead bought a remaining brand new 997.2 Turbo Cab for $20K off; actually less than any new C2S Cab on the lot.
or find a used/CPO 7.2 GTS!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the 7.2 GTS!

Quick Reply: "Must Have" Options