Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 10:40 PM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be.

My 991 is my only car so it is pressed into doing everything. Strangely 911 turns out to be a great all-rounder because of those silly back seats. They do have their limits however and that is why I got the roof transport system. It takes about 5 minutes to attach or detach with the included torque drive.

Here are some photos of the racks in action with the kayaks holders. I have a bike rack and ski/snow board rack as well so more photos coming of those.

I put the kayaks on this morning and drove up to the lake. Draw a bit of attention… seemed every other car on the highway was taking photos of us. Someone even sent me a photo of us that someone else had taken on the highway they had seen posted on FB. That was only an hour after I put them on the car.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
TennisGuy (10-17-2019)
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Nice kayaks matching calipers. PS the rest of the package ain't too shabby!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Gt3 drivers with their tiny spoilers have nothing on you man ! Very cool you can do all that in your 911 !
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love it! I was going to order the roof transport system with my car but the dealer talked me out of it. Said it took two people to put on/take off and he'd seen too many cars get scratched up in the process. Any issues for you? Is it the factory system or after market?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 PM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Love it! I was going to order the roof transport system with my car but the dealer talked me out of it. Said it took two people to put on/take off and he'd seen too many cars get scratched up in the process. Any issues for you? Is it the factory system or after market?
Honestly do any of these dealers know the first thing about the cars they sell? Mine was almost 100% wrong about everything I asked about.

I got the factory ones, the do not take two people to put on and off, they take one person and unless you are very careless there should never be any damage to your car. Takes 5 mins to put on or take off.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Morons. I'd be willing to bet they haven't sold a single 991 roof rack. I was the first to buy one from my dealer 9 months after 991's arrived and no one even knew how it mounted. I had to do an online search (which stupidly on my part) directed me back to our owner's manual that has almost four pages describing its use.
I use mine to carry bikes at least a few days every week. The first time mounting took me about an hour lining things up, now it's five minutes on or off like nmurray22 describes. It's a finely engineered piece, just like the car it rests on.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Great pics.
Yes, racks are great. Mine are on there for weeks at a time and have carried wakeboards, surfboards, and road and mountain bikes.
I particularly like the design that they never touch the painted surface. Not even rubber pads touch like most solutions would. Plus they are reasonably quiet (unless loaded up with accessories).
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That's a great setup! I'll have to look into that for my mountain/road bikes.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have to make permanent cuts in the rubber weatherstripping? I would love to have a roof rack for when I need it, but I don't want to make any permanent changes.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The weatherstripping pulls up to reveal the mounting tabs for the rack. When not in use, they fold back into the roof and the rubber snaps back in place. I've taken my rack on and off probably a 100 times and there's no signs of wear anywhere.
You can see in nmurray22's first picture how the weatherstip pulls up, then hides inside the tower when in use.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
The weatherstripping pulls up to reveal the mounting tabs for the rack. When not in use, they fold back into the roof and the rubber snaps back in place. I've taken my rack on and off probably a 100 times and there's no signs of wear anywhere.
You can see in nmurray22's first picture how the weatherstip pulls up, then hides inside the tower when in use.

Oh, I see that now. Perfect! I was discouraged from buying the roof rack because the one set of instructions I saw for installation included a step for cutting the rubber pieces! Oh hell no.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 PM
P76
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

HA! Props for the window sticker!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Oh, I see that now. Perfect! I was discouraged from buying the roof rack because the one set of instructions I saw for installation included a step for cutting the rubber pieces! Oh hell no.
We have the roof transport system on our 991 and there is nothing to cut and one person can mount, no problem, no scratches either. We have the large roof box and can travel for extended periods with all our stuff, our 80lbs dog's stuff, beach chairs an umbrella, etc. etc.. Plus have room to bring things home.
It's a wonderful life with this new Porsche GT!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

P.S. We also getting 30 mpg average with the 3.4 L.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How long does it take you to get it on and off?
I also have one for surf boards (dubai) but so far it's still in the box.

Quick Reply: Roof transport system. Allowing your 991 to be the minivan it always wanted to be.