Sponsored by:

991 PSE + aftermarket exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
dr bit
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991 PSE + aftermarket exhaust system

I ordered my first Porsche finally after 43 years of dreaming with it ( 991 cs) with PSE, but want to enhance the sound and if possible performance as well. Keeping PSE valves , my first option is FABSPEED headers + FABSPEED competition intake.
If I see this is not enough, I m thinking getting the side mufflers by the same brand or Secondary Exhaust Muffler BYPASS DESIGN TEK, this last seems a pretty good option science the car drops a lot of weight and much better price than FABSPEED side mufflers, the problem is that in Their web, the description says " not causing drastic drone".
Has anyone tried already this last option?
What's your opinion about the rest of my possible solutions?

Thanks
H

Last edited by dr bit; 07-13-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 AM
advantyper
Instructor

my advice would be not order the PSE and get an aftermarket exhaust. Thats what i did, I when with FVD exhaust, it deleted the secondary mufflers and zero DRONE, with around 20% louder then PSE. not to mention save like 40 pounds to the rear and HP gains.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

you forgot to mention it sounds louder than an F1 and scares little children and old women
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I would also recommend not doing PSE if you are going to do aftermarket. FVD is a very good choice for the 991. IMO, every fabspeed I've heard or driven has a lot of drone. That being said, I haven't driven a 991 with it.

Just stick with PSE. It's a very nice sound. You will not notice a dramatic power increase with aftermarket anyway.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have PSE and love it... A number of aftermarket has or is developing either side mufflers which can be used with PSE, or their own versions with built in valves... Having the button on the dash is nice, even with aftermarket, to tame the sound a bit at times...
Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM
dr bit
Rennlist Member

Yes, i just found out fvd, Cargraphic and tubie carries systems compatible with PSE button which was my main concern.
Now just have to decide on which brand should I go.
Tendencies are in favor of FVD...
Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 PM
E36325is
Intermediate

Supersprint and Akrapovic are also compatible with the PSE button...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Haha yes it does, still haven't heard my car from outside..always driving..haha

Originally Posted by trysixty
you forgot to mention it sounds louder than an F1 and scares little children and old women
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM
advantyper
Instructor

i didn't order my car with PSE, so my car don't have the PSE button. I don't feel like I need it to be honest. as soon as I press the sport button it gets louder and as soon as I punch it, the values automatic open, if I press the sport+ button, now it just get nasty loud..haha

Trysixty can comment on how my car sounds..hehe We been on so many crazy aggressive driving with the other 991 members

Originally Posted by trysixty
Originally Posted by dr bit
Yes, i just found out fvd, Cargraphic and tubie carries systems compatible with PSE button which was my main concern.
Now just have to decide on which brand should I go.
Tendencies are in favor of FVD...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 AM
advantyper
Instructor

I agreed with Fabspeed with drone, my friend have one of their exhaust on his 997, FVD suppose to get 10HP and 10TQ, but its so minor you wouldn't notice the bump, but the weight you save on the rear end helps IMO, every pound helps

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I would also recommend not doing PSE if you are going to do aftermarket. FVD is a very good choice for the 991. IMO, every fabspeed I've heard or driven has a lot of drone. That being said, I haven't driven a 991 with it.

Just stick with PSE. It's a very nice sound. You will not notice a dramatic power increase with aftermarket anyway.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually guys our 991 Side Maxflo mufflers are very popular for guys with PSE. They add that little bit of extra sound that you hoped you would get with the PSE option. See this thread here for a review & clip:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7430...r-install.html

We are working on a solution for mufflers for 991's without PSE as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 PM
mgent
Instructor

I think Sharkwerks has some new ones too... I like the flexibility for when the wife is in the car - I can stand a bit more noise than she can... I'm also close to fitting a baby seat for my 6m old, and less noise is likely a bit better for him as well...
Old 07-19-2013, 03:33 AM
dr bit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgent
I think Sharkwerks has some new ones too... I like the flexibility for when the wife is in the car - I can stand a bit more noise than she can... I'm also close to fitting a baby seat for my 6m old, and less noise is likely a bit better for him as well...
I will be in your same situation next year, my wife is 3 months pregnant, so by the time I get my car (October), I don't know how are the red guard seat belts going to hold them lol. But I think PSE would work perfectly in off mode when I'll be driving e them. I read side mufflers or bypass secondary muffler only works when PSE is off, so it would better not to touch those parts if you want to keep the quiet version, so that makes you go for center muffler x pipe or headers.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:50 AM
David Berry
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Wrong thread

Last edited by David Berry; 10-17-2023 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 10-17-2023, 10:12 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 584 Likes on 296 Posts

PSE and aftermarket exhaust is actually the way to go.

-When PSE is off/closed, the exhaust goes through the side mufflers and the rear muffler.
-When PSE is open/on it bypasses both side mufflers and primarily only goes through the rear muffler.

By replacing the rear muffler with an aftermarket one you get the best of both worlds. Since it deletes the rear muffler, if you have PSE you can drive the car almost oem quiet with everything closed (when the wife is in the car and just wants a quiet drive) due to the oem side mufflers still being used, or you can hit the PSE button and the car instantly becomes a menace on the tarmac. The PSE & Aftermarket combo will bypass the oem side muffler and dump the exhaust straight out after the headers/cat. It just gives you the option to choose loud or quiet. Non-PSE and aftermarket exhaust is louder all the time.

Quick Reply: 991 PSE + aftermarket exhaust system