Sponsored by:

Goodbye Black; Hello White 991S

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:49 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!!!

I had my first black car, the BMW 5 series two years ago. I completely regret getting that color. I took care of my car and made sure I use good only good cleaning products and towels to wash the car. But no matter how careful I was, swirl marks still appeared. Not saying it doesn't happen with the white or lighter color cars. It is just less visible with them.

I had the chance of taking a brand new C2S in black at 21% discount, but I decided to search for a white one. Glad I made the decision.

congratulations again!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Agate Grey hides a lot of the dirt and grime really well, in my humble opinion. After days of driving it in the rain it still looks pretty good until you get up really close.

With my Meteor Grey Metallic 911 (close the Agate) I have always been happy with how easy it has been to take care of and how I can go relatively long periods between washings if I have to.

Personally, I think a dark grey is the perfect color.
I've had a couple Meteor Grey cars, by far the easiest color to take care of.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that's got to be an expensive color change, but congrats!
I bought a lot car and at the time, the only other semi-comparable car in the city was black (versus my Guards Red.) It looked good all shiny and new at the dealer, but I'd had a couple of black cars before and pretty much sworn them off because of the issues you mention. White will be much easier to keep looking good.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 AM
jaycoe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The white 991 is a looker! What options did you lose/gain in the switch and any initial thots on the difference?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 993 is Iris Blue Metallic but it may as well be black. I have lovingly hand-washed, polished, waxed and garaged this car for 11 years. When they are at their best, there is nothing that beats a dark metallic car finish. And don't get me wrong, I spent 4 hours on the car last weekend and enjoyed myself thoroughly (yes, pathetic life). But my next ride is...yellow. And yes, keeping the car looking good without lavishing fetish-like devotion on the car was in the back of my mind.

Hard to go wrong with white. Looks great.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was my sales guy. Was it a lease swap? Or did you own car?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 AM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by monster911
Can anyone with Agate Grey comment on how easy or difficult it is to keep clean looking after rains etc...?
I have owned many many different colored cars. By far the easiest to take care of have been silver ( which I will never pick again, don't consider it a color any more) and my present agate gray which is my all time favorite....

you practically don't need to wash the car at all...unless you go on muddy roads. Rain does nothing to this color. But of course I wash the car every so often. you should see how beautiful this color is just before dusk. Highly recommend this color.............
Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tangram
My 993 is Iris Blue Metallic but it may as well be black. I have lovingly hand-washed, polished, waxed and garaged this car for 11 years. When they are at their best, there is nothing that beats a dark metallic car finish. And don't get me wrong, I spent 4 hours on the car last weekend and enjoyed myself thoroughly (yes, pathetic life). But my next ride is...yellow. And yes, keeping the car looking good without lavishing fetish-like devotion on the car was in the back of my mind.
I had a blue car in 1971. In those days Porsche had two blues, dark and light metallic. Mine was the dark metallic. The only problem was that when I brought the car back the States from Germany, I had a slight accident that dented the right quarter panel. My car was metallic and had clear coat which was not being used in the US at that time. I could not find a shop that could paint the car properly. They got the color right but no clear coat. For several years I had to wax that rear panel every week just so it might look closer to the shine of the rest of the car. Finally, the clear coat process came to the States and I had it properly repainted. I loved that color.
You will love the Porsche yellow. I had a '04 GT3 in Speed Yellow. It was great. It is easier to keep looking good than my current black 991.
Then again I use the maintenance on the car as therapy. Nothing like several hours of mindless dedication making it shine to keep ones balance..
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I saw this very nice white ducktail 991 a couple weeks ago:
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome to see and glad everything went smoothly. The white looks great by the way
Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I'm not looking to mask any dirt: you can usually eat off any part of my cars, regardless of their color. I'm retired and cleaning my cars is very relaxing to me.

The Black Carrera was a nightmare because it produced swirl marks even if you just looked at it the wrong way. The odd thing is that the black paint on my Jeep Wrangler is much easier to care for.

I just finished washing the white car for tonight's car cruise: what a dream. I still do recommend the deionized water, as it really does enhance the overall washing experience.

I'm probably going to apply the opti coat 2.0 next week, as a few of our members have had stellar results with the product.

I'll post some pictures afterward.

To answer another question: I'd purchased the cars outright. There was a hit, but life is too short to worry about mistakes that can be repaired. I believe that "living well" is truly the best revenge.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed...life is short...be happy.

Brings to mind a quote from the Dalai Lama:“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.”
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM
balakris
Instructor

Yeah white duck tails!!

Old 06-21-2013, 06:21 PM
SB
Instructor

Nice. Congratulations.

PS I wonder what kind of impact the ducktail has on aero, especially vs regular tail.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by balakris
Yeah white duck tails!!

Does the duck tail still rise at 75mph and when you press the console button?

Quick Reply: Goodbye Black; Hello White 991S