Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenace and detail?...try three black beauties

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 AM
bboerit
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Beautiful... Very impressive... Thanks for the posting and pics!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your cars are gorgeous! They look absolutely beautiful in black.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! What products do you use? Do you clay, wax and polish every week to get that shine?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the detailing lessons from the color correction on my wife's M Coupe, I have learned "less is more". I do not clay. I wash the cars once a week in the manner I described. I really try to not "touch clean" them in between. I have found that really leads to alot of localized scratches. The surface of the cars is only touched with a microfiber towel when I soap them up and if I am using a wax or sealant. Some like to use a small diameter power brush for that. I feel more comfortable doing any waxing by hand. The two biggest aids in keeping the surface scratch free is using deionized water and blow drying the surface.
Since water stains don't occur with the deionized water, there is no need to wipe anything with a towel unless it's bird doo or bug juice. Then there are gentle ways to soften and remove the mess. I find with the sealants, the bird doo doesn't etch into the clear where it requires alot of hard rubbing.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great LonnieR! It's a labor of love for sure.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Since the detailing lessons from the color correction on my wife's M Coupe, I have learned "less is more". I do not clay. I wash the cars once a week in the manner I described. I really try to not "touch clean" them in between. I have found that really leads to alot of localized scratches. The surface of the cars is only touched with a microfiber towel when I soap them up and if I am using a wax or sealant. Some like to use a small diameter power brush for that. I feel more comfortable doing any waxing by hand. The two biggest aids in keeping the surface scratch free is using deionized water and blow drying the surface.
Since water stains don't occur with the deionized water, there is no need to wipe anything with a towel unless it's bird doo or bug juice. Then there are gentle ways to soften and remove the mess. I find with the sealants, the bird doo doesn't etch into the clear where it requires alot of hard rubbing.
You touched on the keys to keeping a black car free of swirls: 1. less is more, so minimize the times any wash or dry cloth comes in contact with the paint; 2. soft water however you get it is essential; and 3. blow dry the surface. Because I live in the country with lots of pollen, I find it necessary to wash and dry my car in the garage. Of course dust accumulates quickly, but the car still looks great from 5' + away.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
You touched on the keys to keeping a black car free of swirls: 1. less is more, so minimize the times any wash or dry cloth comes in contact with the paint; 2. soft water however you get it is essential; and 3. blow dry the surface. Because I live in the country with lots of pollen, I find it necessary to wash and dry my car in the garage. Of course dust accumulates quickly, but the car still looks great from 5' + away.
You would do well using the Optimum polymer. There is essentially no washing. All you need is a capful of the polymer in a bucket with about a quart of deionized water. You wash a small area with one microfiber towel and dry it with another. You could do the whole car in 15 minutes without a mess, without spray, and without marring the clear coat.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lonnie, thanks for the insight! I will have to reconsider how I wash my car. I use micro fiber sponge and regular water to wash then micro fiber towels to dry it. I wax it regularly and have clayed it once in the 18 months I have owned it. It looks pretty nice, but not like your car for sure.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Amazing!! Excellent job!

Quick Reply: Maintenace and detail?...try three black beauties