Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does The 991 Have any Competitors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does The 991 Have any Competitors?

There's a long list of sporty grand touring cars in the $100K - $150K range, but is there any one car that is a true competitor of the 991? The 991 has become so refined that it isn't just a raw sports car but a luxury sports car. All the rest, IMO, are sporty grand tourers like the Mercedes SL, BMW M6, Jaguar XKR, Maserati Granturismo/Grancabrio, Nissan GT-R. Only the Viper and Corvette ZR1 are in the $100K price range and are true sports cars, but lack the finesse & panache of the 991.

This article sums it up really well with a good deal of humor, for example, "But the $50k Corvette isn’t cross-shopped with the 911, which costs $90k, or $2.4 million with options."

Here's the article:
Does The Porsche 911 Have Any Competitors?
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...y-competitors/
Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Why do they have a picture of a 997?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM
indecisive
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the refinement of the 991 sort of takes away from it a bit. Something is just missing from it. Don't get me wrong, it is a marvel of engineering in every way. But, there is just a bit of soul missing from it.

I think the Viper has finally gotten close(r) to the refinement of Porsche - though the customization is no where near as close. I think the ZR1 will be getting into the Viper league as well, though both aren't to where Porsche is.

The ~$100k range is bizarre at the moment, there isn't a whole lot out there that is exciting IMHO. The <$50k performance market has a ton of fun cars and the $200k+ market does as well. There is just a void it seems between the two, all subjective of course.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe the cayman/boxster S is vs the 991 Base.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by indecisive
I think the refinement of the 991 sort of takes away from it a bit. Something is just missing from it. Don't get me wrong, it is a marvel of engineering in every way. But, there is just a bit of soul missing from it.

I think the Viper has finally gotten close(r) to the refinement of Porsche - though the customization is no where near as close. I think the ZR1 will be getting into the Viper league as well, though both aren't to where Porsche is.

The ~$100k range is bizarre at the moment, there isn't a whole lot out there that is exciting IMHO. The <$50k performance market has a ton of fun cars and the $200k+ market does as well. There is just a void it seems between the two, all subjective of course.
Are you sure?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 PM
indecisive
Track Day

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Are you sure?
All subjective anyway
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

All subjective anyway
If I was ready, I would look seriously at the new C-7 and F type before buying my next Porsche.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

this

Local dealership having an unveiling event tonight. 3 in their showroom. I can predict all of the comments. Only 2 seater, no stick... Say what you want, but it's extraordinarily good looking IMHO
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
indecisive
Track Day

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
If I was ready, I would look seriously at the new C-7 and F type before buying my next Porsche.
I was in line for the new Viper, but canceled my order after being 5 months behind...

Trying to decide if I want a 991 or wait a year and see where things are. Wife is pushing for a 991, so I may have my mind made for me.

The C7 looks good, though I'd wait for the Z06/ZR1 equivalent to roll out. Bravo to Chevy and Dodge for finally realizing that there is more to a car than how fast it goes, that fit and finish for the interior matter...
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

I was in line for the new Viper, but canceled my order after being 5 months behind...

Trying to decide if I want a 991 or wait a year and see where things are. Wife is pushing for a 991, so I may have my mind made for me.

The C7 looks good, though I'd wait for the Z06/ZR1 equivalent to roll out. Bravo to Chevy and Dodge for finally realizing that there is more to a car than how fast it goes, that fit and finish for the interior matter...
Clearly you have to give in to her wishes. Don't wait. Compromise before she changes her mind! Sport PASM, X51 and aero packages, full leather.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
maybe the cayman/boxster S is vs the 991 Base.
Exactly.

Other than this, I cross-shopped the GT-R and a Lotus Evora S, but never seriously considered either. The GT-R is too boy racer and waaaaay too heavy to even be called a sportscar IMHO. I love Lotus, too, but that interior and a Toyota Camry V6 for pushing 6 figures? Let's get real, Lotus. That's a Cayman competitor priced at the base 991 level.

But, there is just a bit of soul missing from it.
I'm really not trying to be a troll here, but have you actually ever driven this car yet? What are you basing that statement on?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

I was infatuated with the C7 Coupe and would have ordered it if my wife was a willing participant, but she's never been a fan of the Vette. Too blue collar an image for her, I guess.

She and I saw a Guards/Luxor Cayman on display at the Fort Myers airport and gave her blessing. Within minutes of our return from NY I was sitting in a Cayman and determine that my size and shape isn't comfortable in the Cayman but felt right at home in the Carrera. One thing led to another and now we have our car ordered and it is supposed to arrive at the dealer on or about Sept. 13th. She will share this car with me but probably only 10% of the time.

Our C2S will be in Guards/Luxor and leather up the yin-yang, all stitched in red.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself but it's the only to release my excitement!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM
gjnockie
Intermediate

I think you would have to through the Audi R8 into the mix?
The V8 is priced like a nicely equipped S Coupe. And the 14 now has a Dual Clutch Tranny like the Porsche.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by gjnockie
I think you would have to through the Audi R8 into the mix?
The V8 is priced like a nicely equipped S Coupe. And the 14 now has a Dual Clutch Tranny like the Porsche.
Definitely! I don't know how I missed that.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
indecisive
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I'm really not trying to be a troll here, but have you actually ever driven this car yet? What are you basing that statement on?
Yes.

Something just felt missing. It feels too "perfect." It is a fantastic car, don't get me wrong. Perhaps I should give the manual a go... The sport exhaust probably is the most energizing sound I've ever listened to while driving. Compare it to the M5, which has recorded engine sound being played, lmao.

Quick Reply: Does The 991 Have any Competitors?