Sponsored by:

Am I the only one...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM
CHLW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one...

So I had my 7MT 991 cab for slightly over a month now, what I find is that the brake pedal seems a bit too high in relative to the gas pedal and it's awkward to 'bleep' the throttle. I thought it could be the driving position (I am 5'-7") so adjusted the seat back, bit more comfortable but now my left foot will need to stretch full straight (no leverage) on the clutch in order to change gear and it happened to me on few occasions where I couldn't get into gear because the clutch is not fully pressed as I thought it was, dangerous! I drove other automatic vehicle (not the 991 PDK) and it seems more balance, granted, you won't be doing 'hill-toe' on an automatic, but still shouldn't the MT be at the same
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by CHLW
So I had my 7MT 991 cab for slightly over a month now, what I find is that the brake pedal seems a bit too high in relative to the gas pedal and it's awkward to 'bleep' the throttle. I thought it could be the driving position (I am 5'-7") so adjusted the seat back, bit more comfortable but now my left foot will need to stretch full straight (no leverage) on the clutch in order to change gear and it happened to me on few occasions where I couldn't get into gear because the clutch is not fully pressed as I thought it was, dangerous! I drove other automatic vehicle (not the 991 PDK) and it seems more balance, granted, you won't be doing 'hill-toe' on an automatic, but still shouldn't the MT be at the same
check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7439...ls-2013-a.html

also just below you posting
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM
DKC64
Advanced

I thought it was me too! Been driving my 991 C4S for 3 weeks and can't find a comfortable driving position. Keep trying to work out what's wrong but what you said is exactly true! Although mine is a PDK I have the same problem!

Is there a way to lower the brake pedal?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

I have the opposite problem but with similar outcome. I am 6'3" and all legs. Once I position the seat to an optimal steering wheel distance, my legs are flexed. Heel-toe becomes acrobatic as I am trying to rotate the hip, knee, ankle and all other joints between them counter-clock when its built for flexion. I have blamed aging and related stiffening of body parts in the wrong places. But then, there is "rev-matching"! Solved all problems!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For anyone wishing a bit more reach or a bit less pedal travel, this made my car perfect for me: http://creativemobilitygroup.com/shop/pedal-mates/

(the pedal covers are custom by SRP racing) - I am 5'6'' and the clutch extension lets me sit comfortably..everything is a natural extension of my body now. Sublime 7-speed awesomeness.

Here is my thread regarding this subject from several months ago https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7329...extension.html
Attached Images    

Last edited by Nicoli35; 05-30-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kimf70
I have the opposite problem but with similar outcome. I am 6'3" and all legs. Once I position the seat to an optimal steering wheel distance, my legs are flexed.
Interesting...you look so much smaller in your avatar...or perhaps it is just the enormity of the new larger 991
Old 05-31-2013, 02:08 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

That is my Mini Me.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Okay, so I will throw in another quirk I think the gas pedal is too vertical and can be very uncomfortable if you drive a long distance. I know that cruise control can help but I get some pain near my shin after a long drive.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Drove 5 hours yesterday (1st long drive -- freeway & mountain roads) and was very comfortable. I was able to find a good driving position w/out any problem (5'8"). But, I recall having been afflicted w/ this problem in other Porsches. Perhaps it is our quest to match an infinite number of seat settings w/ our desire to find the perfect fit?!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
kosmo
Race Director

For me, when i had a stick, i found that blipping the throttle was hard to do at moderate speeds. In other words I could only do it at fast and hard braking situations, i.e. at the track. I think if you jam on the brake pedal you may find it easier to roll your foot over to the throttle.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:48 PM
SB
Instructor

The reason the brake pedal is higher is for heel and toe. Under braking, gas and brake pedals will be just about even. Otherwise, the brake pedal will be deeper than gas under braking and you wouldn't be able to heel and toe. I think pedal placement is bang on for heel and toe. In automatics, there is no need for heel and toe, so pedal height doesn't matter much..... its one leg per pedal.

Originally Posted by CHLW
Old 05-31-2013, 05:57 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

No complaints here. Pedals are perfect. But best use your heel instead of rolling of the brake with the right side of the right foot.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 AM
manibot
Intermediate

I have 14 way sport seats and am 180 lb 5'10. One issue that I am having is the pressure on my shoulder blades when driving more than 20 min. It seems the upper back of the seat dont let the shoulder to fit in. its odd, when i took a test drive, i did not feel it but its frustrating. Is there anything I am not aware of. Any comments

Quick Reply: Am I the only one...