Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my 7MT, but I'm only 5'6'', Pedal Extension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Love my 7MT, but I'm only 5'6'', Pedal Extension?

So I'm only 66 inches tall. Not a terribly big deal, but with the 7MT on the 991 I do have to sit a tad closer to the wheel & pedals than I'd like to get full and positive clutch travel. I'd like to angle my seat more in an F16 style with the thigh support a bit more elevated, but I can't raise the lower front seat area too much without making it a slight strain to comfortably press the clutch all the way down.

I just found this: http://www.creativecontrolsinc.com/p...pedalmates.htm

I'm going to try it! Anyway, am a little bored downstairs with family playing Jenga upstairs (I was humiliated already and left them to it so..just thought I'd share this amazing discovery. hehe!

Merry xmas all, thanks for the learning and sharing of these amazing automobiles.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe just fully collapse the telescopic adjustment in the steering column and move the seat forward. That'd make more sense. My wife is only 5 4 and she can sit in a 911 MT and her foot reach is adequate. Her only problem is she can't drive manual. Hehehe....phew.

Just remember the optimum driving position is not laying down or having you arms fully extended.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
So I'm only 66 inches tall. Not a terribly big deal, but with the 7MT on the 991 I do have to sit a tad closer to the wheel & pedals than I'd like to get full and positive clutch travel. I'd like to angle my seat more in an F16 style with the thigh support a bit more elevated, but I can't raise the lower front seat area too much without making it a slight strain to comfortably press the clutch all the way down.

I'm going to try it! Anyway, am a little bored downstairs with family playing Jenga upstairs (I was humiliated already and left them to it so..just thought I'd share this amazing discovery. hehe!

Merry xmas all, thanks for the learning and sharing of these amazing automobiles.
I just spent the evening learning "train dominoes" and being humbled by the younger generation. (Fifty-year-old whippersnappers.)

Cindy and I often had this problem with cars over our fifty years. She was only five feet and I am six. Pedal extensions work just fine and those look more sturdy than the ones I usually installed on our cars. The only thing I found annoying is they are designed to be removed when the car is resold. Not those necessarily, I mean in general. As a result, the usual fastening technique is some sort of clamping action with a set screw. Things loosen. I was younger then and crawling down to tighten them up once a week was no big deal, but it does lack elegance.

A Porsche owner deserves better. I recommend buying those units on line -- they can't be terribly expensive -- but then discussing the problem with the foreman of your Porsche dealer's shop. What I would like (if I still had Cindy sharing my drive) is a welded or brazed extension of each pedal. The foreman might find a part already conceived with that in mind. If he comes up dry, you'll have a chance to get their tacit approval of a shop attaching those extenders semi-permanently. I can't see how extenders would affect any other car system and if you discuss it with your dealer's shop in advance, they will have a chance to reach the same conclusion. They won't raise unfounded objections when doing future work.

Definitely get a solid connection of some sort. If anyone does notice the extenders at trade-in time, which is unlikely, they will be easily removed.

I'm off to study tactics for a Train Dominoes rematch.

Merry Christmas one and all.

Gary
Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Thank you kindly for the advice, Gary. I've tried many seating positions over the last few months (I actively use all 3 seat memory positions and switch between them with different shoes, etc) and think this might help. I am comfortable driving, but sometimes in stop and go traffic or driving around neighborhoods, or even some spirited clutch-work on a deserted, remote strip of road, I wish I was just two inches taller.

Train Dominoes eh - I'm lucky to have escaped Jenga with my skin, sometimes they get a little competitive It's UNO now, but am getting a bit tired. Bed soon. G'nite sir, and thank you.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

just a quick update. Got the clutch pedal extension kit. Contains two different lengths but I just installed the pedal extension against the anchor without needing them, maybe 2 inches or so. If anyone is looking for a kit like this, this one is very high quality, heavy, welded seams. All nuts and bolts also heavy, high quality and included. Good stuff. It's definitely solid and works.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

just a quick update. Got the clutch pedal extension kit. Contains two different lengths but I just installed the pedal extension against the anchor without needing them, maybe 2 inches or so. If anyone is looking for a kit like this, this one is very high quality, heavy, welded seams. All nuts and bolts also heavy, high quality and included. Good stuff. It's definitely solid and works.
what all did you add to your car.. is that speaker for the alarm?

also, 5'6" isn't that short... did you try collapsing the steering column into the dash and adjusting the seat properly?... my ex was 4'11" and could drive all my cars w/o any problem at all. just would push the telescoping in and seat forward and she could drive like the best of us...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rijowysock
what all did you add to your car.. is that speaker for the alarm?

also, 5'6" isn't that short... did you try collapsing the steering column into the dash and adjusting the seat properly?... my ex was 4'11" and could drive all my cars w/o any problem at all. just would push the telescoping in and seat forward and she could drive like the best of us...
Just trying something of an experiment - and in the process, posting information about a quality clutch extension that will be archived here and searchable via the web for anyone looking in the future.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe a dumb question on my part, but if you need the clutch pedal extended, how about the gas and brakes?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I never said I needed it extended. Just wanted to try it. Pedal travel on the clutch goes past gas/brake.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM
gordonfc
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: 5' 7" and Porsche clutch.
Ditto here. Male age 73 maybe 5' 8" with shoes on.
U
ntil recently I owned a 2011 Honda CRZ 'sporty' hybrid, 6MT also deep clutch.
About 1 1/2 years ago I ordered a 'Clutch Pedal Extender' from 'Pedal Mates.
WIth a few minor adjustments to get rid of unwanted parts it worked perfectly.
Gave my ~ 2 1/2" more 'move seat back' room.
I now have a 2008 Porsche Cayman 5MT.
Same pedal extender as on the Honda.
Installed in 5 minutes. Also works great.
All I used for parts was the pedal /pad, the 2 bolts, washers and nuts and the backing plate.
I clamped these directly on top of the Cayman clutch pedal, tightened the bolts. VOILA.
I'll send you a JPEG of it installed.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

From what I'm reading here there is no need for clutch extenders. There is a need for, as rijowysock already said, adjusting the seat properly. Slide it forward until your leg is comfortably extended with the clutch fully in. Tilt the back to where you can sit with both shoulders pressed into the seat back and keep them there while placing both wrists on the top edge of the wheel. "Problem" solved.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Hehe, well, I've driven with my clutch extender for what, several thousand sprited miles over a year or more. I'd buy one again, very happy
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

User PhilD, in the Autocross Forum https://rennlist.com/forums/autocros...tocross-2.html after adjusting his seat as described above:

"I just adjusted the seat 2" forward and quite a bit more upright. What a difference! I would never have thought it would make so much difference to how I feel in the car. At first it felt a little odd, kind of like I was driving like a kid, in some ways reminded of driving a kart. However, I did feel much more in touch with the car and more "at one" with it. It definitely makes me feel more in control and part of the car, rather than just a distant driver. The only drawback is that it did make me want to drive faster!"
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I can only speak for myself, but I tried that, and it's fun and all to be squashed against the firewall (I guess), but after trying the clutch extension, it was immediately obvious the slight extension distance made all the difference.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gordonfc
Re: 5' 7" and Porsche clutch.
Ditto here. Male age 73 maybe 5' 8" with shoes on.
U
ntil recently I owned a 2011 Honda CRZ 'sporty' hybrid, 6MT also deep clutch.
About 1 1/2 years ago I ordered a 'Clutch Pedal Extender' from 'Pedal Mates.
WIth a few minor adjustments to get rid of unwanted parts it worked perfectly.
Gave my ~ 2 1/2" more 'move seat back' room.
I now have a 2008 Porsche Cayman 5MT.
Same pedal extender as on the Honda.
Installed in 5 minutes. Also works great.
All I used for parts was the pedal /pad, the 2 bolts, washers and nuts and the backing plate.
I clamped these directly on top of the Cayman clutch pedal, tightened the bolts. VOILA.
I'll send you a JPEG of it installed.
Almost forgot - thanks for the information, Gordon! Welcome to Rennlist!

Would love to see a pic if you get the chance.

The pedal covers above are from SRP Racing, btw. Highly recommend, great quality.

Quick Reply: Love my 7MT, but I'm only 5'6'', Pedal Extension?