Sponsored by:

New 991 Build Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:12 AM
PaulATX
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 991 Build Feedback?

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of placing a 991 build order & I'd love to get some feedback/suggestions. This is my first post here, but I've read enough to tell there is a lot of knowledge & experience out there. A couple of things about the build. My goal is to have an all weather/season car that strikes a good balance between touring & sport. I've also always loved guards red w/black, so that's a recurring theme for the exterior.

The code is PEY98EW6 if you'd like a pull it up on www.porsche-code.com & check it out.

C4S Cab
PDK
Guards Red
Black cab top
Black Carrera S Wheels
Black Bi-Xenon (Not sure if this is be too much? My thought is if I'm going for red/black, might as well go all out)
Black/Luxor Beige two tone full leather interior (IMO has a classic look & I was happy to see they brought the combo back. Have not seen it in person though on a 991 & has a very different look than the more common grey &/or black)
Premium Package Plus
18 way seats
Burmester
Headlight cleaning system painted guards red
Power folding mirrors
Park assist front/rear
Deletion of model designation
Power steering plus
MF Heated Steering Wheel (would have loved to go with paddles vs. buttons, but the heat was a must have & it seems like with all the data/controls that are available having the ability to scroll from the wheel would get a decent amount of use)
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
Door sill guards in stainless
Adding in additional leather (Dash, PCM, Center Console, Instrument Panel, Storage Lid, w/crest, Tunnel & Seat Back Shells) in an attempt to carry the leather theme & "tighten up" the interior. Thought about adding in a little red like on the chrono clock or seat belts, but I was concerned it would be too distracting from the overall feel. Curious what others think about the interior in general as it currently stands.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 AM
ColoradoCayenne
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I really like the build and think you picked a great platform for both seasons in Austin - Hot & Hotter. Year round, a Cab makes sense in TX and the Southern states, in my opinion.

Here are my thoughts, as if they matter, but you asked:
C4S Cab
PDK - Nice
Guards Red - Beautiful choice
Black cab top - Perfect
Black Carrera S Wheels - Yes, sir.
Black Bi-Xenon (Not sure if this is be too much? My thought is if I'm going for red/black, might as well go all out) - Agreed. This will look great against the black top and wheels.
Black/Luxor Beige two tone full leather interior (IMO has a classic look & I was happy to see they brought the combo back. Have not seen it in person though on a 991 & has a very different look than the more common grey &/or black) - This color combo is great. You get the classic tan leather with a black dashboard which kills the windshield glare. It looks fantastic in person. I would also recommend considering the deviated carpet in black as well. The darker footwells look nice, and wouldn't be out of place against the black wheels and top.
Premium Package Plus - Nice
18 way seatsThese are subjective. Sit in the various versions before committing.
BurmesterVery nice.
Headlight cleaning system painted guards red - Great choice.
Power folding mirrors - Yes.
Park assist front/rear - I wish Porsche would just make this standard. Great choice.
Deletion of model designation - Cool.
Power steering plus - I haven't experienced this, but the description from Porsche sounds like this may be a nice choice.
MF Heated Steering Wheel (would have loved to go with paddles vs. buttons, but the heat was a must have & it seems like with all the data/controls that are available having the ability to scroll from the wheel would get a decent amount of use) - Agreed. Plus shifting with the "paddles" on the MF steering wheel doesn't take long to get used to. I prefer the additional function and heat as well.
Sport Chrono- YES!
Sport Exhaust - Double YES!
Door sill guards in stainless - Nice.
Adding in additional leather (Dash, PCM, Center Console, Instrument Panel, Storage Lid, w/crest, Tunnel & Seat Back Shells) in an attempt to carry the leather theme & "tighten up" the interior. Thought about adding in a little red like on the chrono clock or seat belts, but I was concerned it would be too distracting from the overall feel. Curious what others think about the interior in general as it currently stands. - Again, totally subjective. If you like leather, go nuts.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Great build! Dont forget the smokers package.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Galion
Great build! Dont forget the smokers package.
Only problem with the smoker's package is there is no little nook or cranny to easier place small objects you want nearby. The smokers package limits the space by having a cover, etc.

Sounds like a beauty...good luck with it.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a nice ride! My comments, FWIW...

heated steering in Austin TX? wouldn't have thought that is a "must have"
Power steering plus - haven't driven it, based on what I've seen posted people either love it or hate it. I assume you have test driven both
18 way seats - I have them, love them, but I can see where they might not work for everyone. Again, test them all if you can.
Burmester - I didn't pay up for that...between engine sound and with the top down, I don't think you get the aural benefit of the higher fidelity that you pay handsomely for. I enjoy the Bose. I would, however, do the Burmester in a Panamera.
Smoker's package - I didn't order this. the little hole works great for change,etc. Power outlet in center console and passenger footwell are enough for my needs.
Model delete- I went so far as to delete all lettering on the back of mine. Would leave the PORSCHE on a non-C4 car though, and paint it body color.
I also highly recommend the PDCC.

Have fun! keep us posted on delivery, and have your camera ready!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Great build, including the must-have Sport Chrono and Sport Exhaust! Do remember to do the steering column casing in leather and include the "smokers package". I also think that red seatbelts would look great with that interior, given your red exterior. One exception to your build from my standpoint: I MUCH prefer the steering feel at lower speeds without the Power Steering Plus.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Very nice build.
Consider losing the following;
- Power steering Plus.
- Heated Steering.
- Black Bi-Xenon. (Perhaps too much black and not enough contrast)
- Definitely check the seats out in person before committing.

Your ventilated seats will really help with the dreaded sweaty back syndrome.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 PM
PaulATX
6th Gear

Thank you all for your comments. Keep them coming! Will definitely look into changing the carpet to black & adding leather to the steering column. Many people, including the dealer, have brought up the smoker's package. It would be perfect if the little cubby hole had a retractable/disappearing lid without adding the whole ashtray/outlet assembly. I guess it'll stay on the list of "minor" items to mull over.

I should have mentioned this earlier. While my primary residence is in Austin, I split time in NJ & MN as well. Ideally the car will be in TX in the winter & up north during summer, but it doesn't always work out as well as it sounds on paper. Hence the heated wheel, seats & partial deciding factor for going with a 4 vs. 2. The road trips in between are also where the Burmester will get the most action.

Power Steering Plus has been removed after taking another test drive. During my previous test drives I wasn't really concerned with this option & was occupied with bigger questions, like PDK vs manual & 2 vs. 4. The normal steering feels fine & if anything the plus gave it a floaty & artificial feel, IMHO.

Last edited by PaulATX; 05-24-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: re-test drive
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM
indecisive
Track Day

Burmester, while nice, seems like a waste to me. The beautiful sound of the engine would make the upgrade a loss, IMHO!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM
PaulATX
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Sounds like a nice ride! My comments, FWIW...

heated steering in Austin TX? wouldn't have thought that is a "must have"
Power steering plus - haven't driven it, based on what I've seen posted people either love it or hate it. I assume you have test driven both
18 way seats - I have them, love them, but I can see where they might not work for everyone. Again, test them all if you can.
Burmester - I didn't pay up for that...between engine sound and with the top down, I don't think you get the aural benefit of the higher fidelity that you pay handsomely for. I enjoy the Bose. I would, however, do the Burmester in a Panamera.
Smoker's package - I didn't order this. the little hole works great for change,etc. Power outlet in center console and passenger footwell are enough for my needs.
Model delete- I went so far as to delete all lettering on the back of mine. Would leave the PORSCHE on a non-C4 car though, and paint it body color.
I also highly recommend the PDCC.

Have fun! keep us posted on delivery, and have your camera ready!!!
Can you elaborate on the PDCC recommendation? Pros & cons (if any) from your experience?

Thx for the lettering paint tip. I didn't know that was an option. May think about body color or black.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build. I love the blacked out look on a guards red car.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulATX
Can you elaborate on the PDCC recommendation? Pros & cons (if any) from your experience?

Thx for the lettering paint tip. I didn't know that was an option. May think about body color or black.
Snoop around for some other threads on the PDDC. In my opinion, I felt the difference the first time I drove a car with PDCC...compared to my 997.2. To me it just feels more grounded around corners and less (or no) body roll on sweeping curves.
Some speculation that the tires wear more evenly and get longer life, but I have no scientific or anecdotal evidence to share on that, I'm only a few thousand miles into mine.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,221 Likes on 479 Posts

Great build, you will love it. A few comments:

1. the upgraded stereo on this car seems pointless; my Cab came with the Bose upgrade, it is pointless. Sounds like garbage, plus I like the way the engine sounds better. Burmester is great for Panamera or Cayenne, not for a Cab.

2. get the leather on the dash with contrast stitching, it looks great. If you were getting full black leather I would recommend red stitching and red seat belts, however with the Luxor/black the red seatbelts may make things a bit too busy in my opinion, too many colors splashed around. The clock may fit in with that as well, however taste is subjective.

3. the black wheels are really nice looking but a pain in the you know what to keep clean. Had them on a prior 991, a lot of work. with the classy interior choice maybe your should try the Carrera Classic Wheels?

my 2 cents, enjoy this incredible car!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

You ask for our opinions so I will give it but please understand I am not being critical. You have an incredibly loaded up car which you will no doubt enjoy but understand that if you are buying the car as opposed to leasing, you will get very little for those options when you go to sell the car. The two tone beige and black looks good although I saw the gray and black and it looked fantastic. I have the Bose radio and it stinks because there is no side to side separation - everything sounds like it is coming out of the center front speaker no matter how I adjust it and I don't think it is unique to the Bose. PDK without the paddle shifters just isn't cool - no other high end sports car has anything other than paddles. I have power steering plus and it only comes into play at very slow speeds and parking.

Quick Reply: New 991 Build Feedback?