Sponsored by:

Sport plus or not sport plus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:56 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Sport plus or not sport plus?

I spent two days on the track at Watkins Glen last week. I am in no way an expert driver, and was using the sport plus setting when on the track. I had an instructor with me, and on my third 30 minute track session he told me to turn off the sport plus.

Believe it or not, I got a lot smoother! I could feel the car settle into the turns much better. My times got better. It just seems that the sport plus suspension took away some of my connection with the car, and it felt like I was working harder to keep it on line.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, what did you think?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

What do you mean by "sport plus suspension"? The firm mode damper setting? That can be set in either mode regardless of if you're in sport plus or not. I have a feeling the computer is making instantaneous decisions anyway in terms of firmness settings when speed really begins to pick up.

To me the car only feels "right" in sport plus when I'm trying to hustle it. The throttle map and power delivery in "normal" mode and even Sport just don't do it for me. The PDK's behavior changes significantly, too. I always use manual mode (the paddles) but shifts get done so much faster either way.

I can't imagine driving on the track, or even my favorite backroads, in anything but sport plus, but if it helps you and makes you smoother that's what counts.

FWIW, PSM has the same "mental" effect on me. When I did my first DE in the 991 (not first DE), I was beginning to drive more raggedly as I got up to speed in the car knowing I had the safety net of PSM ready to step in if I was too aggressive with the throttle. When I turned PSM off on the last day a healthy respect for the car's limits returned and my driving smoothed out considerably, so much so that my instructor that day commented that "we should've turned PSM off a long time ago."
Old 05-27-2013, 03:28 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet you will find Sports Plus faster as you get more used to driving on the track. You have to be working pretty hard to get the most out of it (shifting at redline, holding the gear longer, etc.). Personally, I prefer Sport for brisk street driving but only use Sport Plus on the track.

Also I sound that the rear brakes get hot enough to smell on the track when not in Sport Plus probably due to the PSM and PTV intervening sooner and more aggressively.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 AM
LotF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rennlist has a Racing and DE forum where you might get a more professional opinion than in this forum. IIRC higher corner speeds require a stiffer suspension. Slow in, fast out is smoother. I suspect you were overdriving the car into corners with your experience level with the stiffer suspension.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM
GT325
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
I spent two days on the track at Watkins Glen last week. I am in no way an expert driver, and was using the sport plus setting when on the track. I had an instructor with me, and on my third 30 minute track session he told me to turn off the sport plus.

Believe it or not, I got a lot smoother! I could feel the car settle into the turns much better. My times got better. It just seems that the sport plus suspension took away some of my connection with the car, and it felt like I was working harder to keep it on line.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, what did you think?
Green DE here. Did my first DE in my 991 C2S at lime rock a little while back. My instructor did the same thing PLUS one. He had me drop it into NORMAL mode, no sport or sport plus. He did have me put the suspension (PASM) into sport mode. But the PDK and throttle where in normal mode. He had me shift manual and stay in 4th gear the whole track.

This was after trying sport mode and letting the PDK shift. As I am a beginner he wanted to run in normal mode 4th gear so that I could learn the line and to FOCUS on smoothness. Have to say that it worked for me once I followed his advice my "times" improved dramatically. Driving on the track was a totally different experience than expected.

My instructor did mention many times that he was concerned that the car would shift mid-corner and upset the balance of the car and send it into the weeds. Not sure if this would happen with the PDK or not.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The best way for a beginner to learn instinctive driving would also to start out in a less powerful car but turning the sports plus off was a good choice. The comment out connection to the road however makes no sense. There are many reasons I would have a beginner turn off sports plus, the biggest being the threshold limit on PSM. The second would be throttle mapping even in manual mode. Just my two cents.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 AM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input all. I believe my throttle management and braking néed some work. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go back to the track!
Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Now you're talking, brother! . Nice choice in exterior color by the way!

Last edited by holminator; 05-27-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Dang ipad
Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 314 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
Thanks for the input all. I believe my throttle management and braking néed some work. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go back to the track!
That belief will make you a better driver no matter how many times you go to the track!!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:03 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

I'm with Chuck on that!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only done one track day w/ the 991 so far, and I started each session in sport and when oil temps warmed up went to sport plus. This worked well as it allowed me to warm myself up for a half lap or so as well. If you're driving it very easy on the track, sport plus is a little jerky and overeager, but you'll appreciate it when you get up to speed. I wouldn't use it until you're comfortable threshold braking and applying full throttle on the straights w/ standard sport. To clarify, when I am speaking about sport plus above it's with regards to the throttle mapping features, not the PASM, which I recommend you keep in firm at all times on the track. Just IMHO of course.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:57 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Thanks again! Great support here! I know I can be good, just gotta get some more track time. I'm working on the schedule now.

One thing is for certain, I really love the way this car drives!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are off to a great start and I agree it is a really fun car on the track. In fact I think to really enjoy the cars capabilities you have to take it to the track. Just be prepared to replace the pads, rotors and tires more often, but its a small price to pay for the fun and education you will have.

Quick Reply: Sport plus or not sport plus?