Sponsored by:

Break-in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in Oil

This may have been covered in the forum but I can't seem to find the answer.

In the 991 from the factory, is the engine oil the standard Mobil 1 0W40 or does Porsche put in some special "break-in oil"? My dealer seemed to tell me that the oil is special and that changing the oil early (say ath 2000miles) is not good for the car.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 201 Posts

A40 spec mobil 1 0w-40 in mine.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

My understanding is that there no longer is any type of break-in oil so no need to change early.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

oops

Last edited by Dr.Bill; 05-20-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: oops
Old 05-20-2013, 07:47 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just standard Mobile One 0/40 and there have been lots of posts about when to change it. Porsche recommends after 10,000 miles or 12 months. Lots of "old school" folks, me included, like changing it earlier. I changed it at 2,500 miles. This can't cause any harm, but might be wasteful (the oil is expensive) and "less green."

I had the dealer change it after a year a second time. They charged $250 whereas I think the oil and filter cost me about $80 when I did it myself. Here is a link with more info:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...Topping-up-oil
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
Its just standard Mobile One 0/40 and there have been lots of posts about when to change it. Porsche recommends after 10,000 miles or 12 months. Lots of "old school" folks, me included, like changing it earlier. I changed it at 2,500 miles. This can't cause any harm, but might be wasteful (the oil is expensive) and "less green."

I had the dealer change it after a year a second time. They charged $250 whereas I think the oil and filter cost me about $80 when I did it myself. Here is a link with more info:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...Topping-up-oil
That's what I thought and I'm old school as well so planned to change it at around 2000miles. The reason I asked is that when I asked my service manager his answer implied that the factory oil is different and that early change (before 10,000miles) is not a good idea.

If the factory oil is just plain normal Mobil 1 0W40 then other than "wasteful" I can't see why not to change at 2000miles.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I too am "old school" - had mine changed at 3000 mi and intend to do so every 10K or 12 months in the future. My dealer charged me cost (oil and filter and washer are $80 DYI so he got me for a bit there) and 1 hour labor- which I thought quite reasonable. I DYI'd most everything on my Porsches for 40 years and the 991 is so easy I felt guilty. Bu not so guilty that I won't let them do it again.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

spoke to my service tech a couple weeks ago when I hit 2500 miles on mine. He recommended NOT changing the oil. I drive my car a fair amount, almost daily. He suggested if I felt like I absolutely thought I needed to change the oil earlier than the recommended interval I should just plan on doing it late in the fall since it is more likely to sit extra days if the weather is bad during the winter.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:01 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

It has always been my understanding that oil used during break in should be changed because as the engine wears/beds in/breaks in/whatever term you want to use, it causes little pieces of metal to come off and into the oil that then get circulated around the engine therefore changing it often and early during break in was a good idea.

Is that not the case anymore?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Given the quality of the milling equipment these days, tight manufacturing tolerances, and the fact that they run these motors pretty hard in the factory, it must not be an issue anymore.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

I really don't understand why some people think or are led to believe that they shouldn't change the oil during break in or as often as possible for that matter. Having fresh oil in an engine is a good thing,if you can afford it,change it often. Having fresh additives in an engine,especially during break in is an advantage not a disadvantage.
SOME service advisors(and please observe I'm emphasizing the word '' SOME '') are merely salesmen and are no different than the one that sold you the car,in which category you can find SOME that don't know the difference between a Sport Chrono car and a Non Sport Chrono car for example. Please do not take technical advise from them.
If you want to speak with someone qualified,try researching for a good experienced technician the dealership might have and speak with him. And by experienced I mean Porsche Factory trained with a good reputation,no oil change,tire rotation etc kind of '' technicians ''.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Re the comment about the engines being run pretty hard at the factory. This is incorrect. They only run a very small % of the engines at all. All testing done on a "dry" basis without starting the engines for a test. At least this is what the Factory guide person indicated on 3 different tours of Zuffenhausen factory in 2012.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Re the comment about the engines being run pretty hard at the factory. This is incorrect. They only run a very small % of the engines at all. All testing done on a "dry" basis without starting the engines for a test. At least this is what the Factory guide person indicated on 3 different tours of Zuffenhausen factory in 2012.
good to know. thx. (plus I'm jealous...three tours in a year?!)
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neanicu
I really don't understand why some people think or are led to believe that they shouldn't change the oil during break in or as often as possible for that matter. Having fresh oil in an engine is a good thing,if you can afford it,change it often. Having fresh additives in an engine,especially during break in is an advantage not a disadvantage.
SOME service advisors(and please observe I'm emphasizing the word '' SOME '') are merely salesmen and are no different than the one that sold you the car,in which category you can find SOME that don't know the difference between a Sport Chrono car and a Non Sport Chrono car for example. Please do not take technical advise from them.
If you want to speak with someone qualified,try researching for a good experienced technician the dealership might have and speak with him. And by experienced I mean Porsche Factory trained with a good reputation,no oil change,tire rotation etc kind of '' technicians ''.
I don't disagree with you, and am lucky enough to have a service guy i trust explicitly, implicitly and everything in between. He spent ten+ years under the cars, factory trained, I guess 6 or 7 years now as an advisor. You are right - this is the kind of guy everyone should have access too.

Regarding the oil change, I suspect one of the things that has evolved with all the tech developments over the years is what constitutes "fresh" oil...at least in these cars, I'm not concerned that changing it at 5k instead of 2k will make a material difference. My 964 and 993 were a different story for sure. Happy motoring!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhh.....anooooother oil question!!!

Quick Reply: Break-in Oil