Sponsored by:

OEM Knock Off Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyway,

If you are strictly going for the look and don't have a ton of money to spend. Those wheels are just fine. all those wheels have to meet certain quality standards, meet all mechnical requirements. They may not be TOP quality wheels, but they are just fine for everyday driving.

If you are going for lighter, stronger wheels to improve your performance, racing on the track. Then get a well known wheel maker/tuner wheels. They usually cost a fortune though.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yxc145
You do know that a lot of the OEM wheels are made in Taiwan and other parts of the the world. Probably the same companies that are making those aftermarket wheels.
I believe you will find that Porsche does not source its wheels anywhere but in Germany. Virtually all Porsche wheels over the past years have been made, OEM for Porsche by BBS in Germany. BBS also makes many of the wheels, again on an OEM basis for both Mercedes and BMW.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:14 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
I believe you will find that Porsche does not source its wheels anywhere but in Germany. Virtually all Porsche wheels over the past years have been made, OEM for Porsche by BBS in Germany. BBS also makes many of the wheels, again on an OEM basis for both Mercedes and BMW.
Very well. They cost $5000+ a set at the dealer. They better be made in Germany.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
911crazed
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys, lots of good input. I don't know what I am going to do. I don't really want to put cheap crap on my car and I don't want to spend 5K on a car that I will most likely upgrade to an C2S in 2 years.

I think I was too much of an eager beaver on this one...should have held out for different wheels.

I do really like the plasti-dip idea...sounds simple enough. Does anyone know of any So Cal shops that will do it for me? I don't want screw it up...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911crazed
Thanks Guys, lots of good input. I don't know what I am going to do. I don't really want to put cheap crap on my car and I don't want to spend 5K on a car that I will most likely upgrade to an C2S in 2 years.

I think I was too much of an eager beaver on this one...should have held out for different wheels.

I do really like the plasti-dip idea...sounds simple enough. Does anyone know of any So Cal shops that will do it for me? I don't want screw it up...
a nice set of wheels in good cond will hold value, so you can resell them. also you can sell your current wheels to offset the purchase. BTW i wouldnt buy wheels from a dealer unless its on special or something.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by 911crazed

Look for a used set of quality wheels if you don't want to spend 5K. You'll get a used set of BBS, Champion, HRE in like new condition for 3K, give or take $500. Take good care of them and they hold their value as opposed to some of the Ebay variants that last about as long as the tires. Frankly, I don't even like the looks of the knock-offs when brand new. $200 wheels will not present themselves as $1,200 wheels for obvious reasons.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM
yxc145
Instructor

I love the Vorsteiner wheels. They are expensive though.. But people are right about those wheels holding their value. I think you still need to pay about 3-4G for a set of used good condition wheels.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:49 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
if you do go w/ knock offs, pls stay off the track.
+1. I would never run knock offs at the track. A cheap set of wheels is not worth spending a month in traction.

Originally Posted by yxc145
You do know that a lot of the OEM wheels are made in Taiwan and other parts of the the world. Probably the same companies that are making those aftermarket wheels.
True, but we're talking about Porsches here. Porsche OEM wheels are made in either Japan or Germany, and must pass TUV. Other OEMs probably don't test their wheels under the same loads and speeds that Porsche does given the speeds their cars see.

Quick Reply: OEM Knock Off Wheels