Sponsored by:

PCCBs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
DRPye
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCBs

My mechanic recommended buying PCCBs and then selling the calipers, rotors and pads for less than their replacement cost? Any interest? My new '13 991S will arrive in June and I have to decide by April 24. What's a fair price?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do you want PCCBs? My guess is your mechanic just wants to make an extra buck (or a few thousand extra in this case)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

WHY?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

save yourself the 8K and don't get the PCCBs.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd find a new mechanic.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I think what he's getting at, is the factory PCCB option cost is FAR LESS than replacement cost. He seems to be saying order the bargain cost option, sell the brand new gear, mount big reds and pocket the diff.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I think what he's getting at, is the factory PCCB option cost is FAR LESS than replacement cost. He seems to be saying order the bargain cost option, sell the brand new gear, mount big reds and pocket the diff.
Ah, it makes a little more sense when you read it like that, but still very strange.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As the saying goes, they are only worth what somebody is willing to pay for them. In theory sounds like a great idea, in practice, probably not worth the hassle.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

That is true. However, you would be hard pressed to sell new PCCB's for what they cost as an option, let alone above that price. And then you still need to buy new rotors for your own car. Really does not make sense.

On the other hand, ordering sport bucket seats could be a sound financial move.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Not a very good idea. If you want stronger brakes for your 991S, buy the Brembo front and rear 15" GT kit. Still cheaper than PCCB as an option, and you still have a set of new stock brakes for when you sell the car (or you sell them to a 991 owner ). If you track the car, a strong set of steel brakes may also be preferable to carbon ceramics (cost of parts, risk of hitting and cracking a rotor, etc). Not trashing PCCB here, the lower mass and pedal feel are impressive. Just not sure many people would be interested in retrofitting...
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the idea is to replace the brakes no matter what, then I guess you could make an argument for gettings PCCBs in terms of net cost and ease of sale, especially if pre-arranged as DRPye is trying:

1. resale value on stock calipers is the same either way, it's just paint, thought might get an extra buck for the yellow to someone valuing the color scheme (?)

2. resale value on the steel rotors is probably 80% of the spare parts price max.

I get at least 20% on parts over the counter from the dealer, there's often incentive schemes on labor and arts. You'd really have to scope out the market pretty exhaustively, but at least, if you did sell the PCCBs, they're done and gone, whereas the steels are harder to sell and coule just end up on the shelf for ages.

If you had any interest at all in spec'ing the car with PCCBs and playing with them, that would be fun, too.

Personally, I'll offer $2500 for rotors and calipers, to a least put a floor on the market. : )
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

It's a hassle...you're buying a $100K plus car...why going with what your/some "mechanic" thinks or says...seems like a ridiculous idea. Shelve it.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
It's a hassle...you're buying a $100K plus car...why going with what your/some "mechanic" thinks or says...seems like a ridiculous idea. Shelve it.
I agree it's crazy, but there's perhaps method to the madness.

I've been involved in more than one case where a guy buys a new 911 and barely drives it around the block before having at the suspension, brakes, transmission, engine, aero, safety gear, etc.

If the expectation is to have a little fun and sell the PCCBs in a pre-arranged deal rather than end up with the steels on the shelf or having to put just as much, or more effort into selling the steels (based on personal experience, it can be a helluva time sink) then why not at least sound out the market?

All else being equal, I'd go back to fire principles and suggest the brakes are no weak link in 991S and that's not where I'd start with upgrades, plus the aftermarket is just not ready with real improvements for this model yet.

If the objective is an arbitrage to reduce the cost of purchasing the car, that's really not going to work! : )
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 PM
DRPye
6th Gear

Sorry for the cryptic question. Yes, I'm proposing to sell the complete PCCBs to a buyer. The Porsche list price is $20k. Suncoast has a conversion kit for $15k. The front rotors alone sell for $9k and the rear rotors alone cost $8k. I can buy the PCCBs for $8,500, much less than these cited costs, but would need to buy and install replacement S brakes, plus the hassle and risk, splitting the difference. Any interest in buying the PCCBs? What's a fair price? Just testing the market.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRPye
Sorry for the cryptic question. Yes, I'm proposing to sell the complete PCCBs to a buyer. The Porsche list price is $20k. Suncoast has a conversion kit for $15k. The front rotors alone sell for $9k and the rear rotors alone cost $8k. I can buy the PCCBs for $8,500, much less than these cited costs, but would need to buy and install replacement S brakes, plus the hassle and risk, splitting the difference. Any interest in buying the PCCBs? What's a fair price? Just testing the market.
I might be interested. PM me a fair price and I'll consider.

Quick Reply: PCCBs