Carrara White 991 owner's opinion/experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Carrara White 991 owner's opinion/experience

Hi everyone,

There have been threads before asking for an optimal colour choice, and ultimately it boils down to personal preference. The most popular options appear to be white, black, silver and agate grey (all classics in my opinion, and all beautiful).

I've secured my order (with perhaps a week or two to make any last minute adjustments) for a 911 Carrera S in Carrara White - I've picked this colour based on my personal taste, but I have to admit that I'm not 100% committed or tied to this option.

Could I ask those of you who own a white 911 whether or not you have had any negative experiences with this colour choice?

The primary cons I've thought of, which have created some doubt in my mind, are as follows:
  1. Somewhat bland
  2. Fairly common - definitely the colour I see most
  3. Difficult to keep clean - shows every mark/scratch
  4. My daily drive is also a white car - but now I'm being picky!

To be honest, my list of pros is much larger, hence my current preference.

I'd love to hear from other white 911 owners as to whether my concerns above are completely unwarranted, or do in fact raise some alarms, or if there are other concerns I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:48 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White is definitely a great Porsche color. With that said, if you drive white all week, you might like to have a different color along with the toy driver on the weekends. It really makes it a bit more special.

I chose black because I'm OCD and since it only stays pristine for 15 minutes after it's cleaned, it's really special to me. Good luck with your choice and wait. After all, waiting makes it sweeter when you get it.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I think it is a myth about keeping a white car clean. Black and other dark colors are far more difficult. Keeping your wheels clean is a much greater factor in how a car looks. The bigger issue is the interior color with a white exterior as it is such a dramatic contrast. You can go from typical - black to striking - red and anywhere in between. White is also the easiest color to blend/match if you should happen to damage the car.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

BTW, the current "white" from the standard color pallet is NOT Carrera White, it is simply White. IIRC, Porsche changed from Carrera White to White with the 2013 model year. The new White is a little brighter and "whiter" than Carrera White.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 AM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really not a fan of white cars. When looking to order my 991 I was leaning strongly toward Dark Blue or Aqua (now Sapphire) but was also considering White. Really wanted a light Silver but didn't want to pay $3000+ for the GT Silver. Drove several hundreds of miles to different dealerships to look at colors in person. Finally went with White with Beige interior. The car is stunning in White! I have now tinted the windows which makes it even more attractive. My only complaint is that it shows dead bugs much easier than other colors. But I tend to look at this as a positive as the bugs would still be there if I had chosen another color but the White makes them stand out which in turn makes me get them off sooner (better for the paint). Good luck with your choice!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a white 991. I love that color on a Porsche. When I first got the car I noticed alot of brake dust on the side of the car even after just a few miles. My son who has the ceramic brakes on his Porsche said I shoud have got the brakes like him. He has no dust. Now that my car has 3000 miles on it the dust has gotten alot less. The other thing it does stay cleaner than a dark colored car. I also have two black cars. I got a small chip on my front bumper and it was so easy to fix with DR Color chip. A few coats and you can't see it. The nice folks at Brumos also tell me that white Porsches are the fastest. Good luck with your new toy it is going to be fun.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Mine is white with the red full-leather interior and it looks great. I'm not generally a big white fan, as white only looks good on cars that have beautiful design; not so much on ordinary cars where it often looks like a rolling refrigerator. The Porsche really looks classy in white. The red interior really compliments it well and adds the "missing" color. I think that the Luxor Beige looks good with it as well.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:46 AM
lspain
Intermediate

Color is always highly subjective and I am not strongly opinionated (unlike the wife) on the topic. Is there a "bad" color for these cars? I have not seen (either in person or in a picture) a 991 where I would not look back to enjoy the car while walking away.

My previous '08 Cayman S was white (color selected by the wife) and got favorable comments everywhere it went. My sister bought the car (the first used car she has ever purchased) so after 5 years it still seems to have a wow factor for some. My current 991 is basalt (color approved by the wife) and seems to get less attention than the Cayman (not a bad thing) although I think the 991 is the more striking car.

My wife thinks the grey and silver colors are bland but does not think white is bland. My advice, suspect as it is, is pick the color that will make you look back every time you walk away from the car. No bad choices exist here as long as that happens.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Classic looks.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:50 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 155 Posts

IMHO, white is the best color for a 911. Mine is a white on black 991s.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

In the past I have found white to be one of the easiest to keep clean. Coming out of a black car, my first black car, I vowed never again. I went with silver which is also easy to maintain. I have no doubt there will be another white car in my future.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

For a sportier look, my choice would be white but IMO, it needs the Aerokit/SportDesign package to really pop, otherwise it looks too simple for a $100+ car.
On the other hand, silver enhances the bulbous línes much better, looks more refined and elegant, and is the easiest color to maintain.
The new Rhodium silver will be a hot seller, no champagne/blueish/greyish hints to deal with, just pure, cool silver.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Jon Y
Track Day

Hothonda.....absolutely BEAUTIFUL white 991. Those classic wheels really make it look classier.

I suggest the carrera S wheels with shade for a more sportier look.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:29 PM
meine911
Racer

White is good. Not hard to clean. Makes the car look bigger. Go with what turns you on. Just make a conscience decision about whether you want painted front and back aprons and side mirror posts. They make a big difference with a white car. And you could like either way (painted or black).
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Love the white!

Quick Reply: Carrara White 991 owner's opinion/experience