Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optioning a Base 991 for most 'feel'

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Base car here with none of optional add-ons. I would say the electric steering is a step down in feel from my 996 and 997. Not a great deal, but some.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by LotF
030 used to mean ROW (rest of world). 030 used to be the lowest passive suspension available from the factory and was standard ROW.

US customers complained about stiffness and scraping the front and rear due to the lowered ride height. Thus 030 became an option in the US.
Not exactly. The 030 option code has always been the 'sport suspension' option, both here and elsewhere; it was not standard on ROW models. However, the option has only been available sporadically on US Porsche models. For instance, the 997.1 had a 030 non-PASM ROW sport suspension option. When the option changed to a PASM-based sport suspension with the 997.2, it became available as an option for the US.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Most 'feel' and 'involvement' a la Spyder would be a car without PASM or SPASM. With 'active' dampers there is a layer of computer intervention between your butt and the road - and therefore less of the analog 'feel' that the Spyder is all about.

Your butt will feel less forward thrust in a base 991 compared to the Spyder as well...
Thanks for this input as it seems to be in line with my experience as well.

It could be the extra refinement of the 991 that could and altering the butt dyno, but yes I agree - the spyder seemed to have a bit more perceived thrust. Not sure that it was moving any faster but certainly very close to the 991 cab.

You are also sitting lower in a spyder with the buckets, there is more noise and the shifter has slightly shorter throws than what I experienced in the 991 cab.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 'Performance Sport Suspension' Option on 991...

Originally Posted by Skeptikal12
What would you select on the option list if you were getting a 991 but were interested in the most road 'feel'? Coming from a spyder and getting into a Carrera, I'd like to retain as much of the involvement as possible.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Most 'feel' and 'involvement' a la Spyder would be a car without PASM or SPASM. With 'active' dampers there is a layer of computer intervention between your butt and the road - and therefore less of the analog 'feel' that the Spyder is all about.
I am wondering WHEN Porsche will offer the 'Performance Sport Suspension' without PASM in the base 991. This would be the equivalent of the 'Performance Sport Suspension' option, code X73, which costs only $1,235 in the 981 Boxster or Boxster S! According to the configurator, the 'Performance Sport Suspension' includes more stiffly tuned spring and damper units, adapted anti-roll bars, and a reduced ride height of 0.79 inches (20 mm). Interestingly, it is not yet offered on the 981 Cayman or Cayman S!

But on a 991 Base Coupe! The combination of a Manual Transmission, 19" Wheels and Performance Sport Suspension (reduced height 20mm, stiffer springs & damper units)....that would be one sweet, sporting & economical (best value category!) 991! Perhaps we might see it in MY2014 when Porsche might feel the need to give their base 911 model some needed 'love & attention'...and to help shore up sales! We will see if that comes true!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Old 05-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Eduardo,
I hope you are right. I've been considering a base 991. I really never used the sport setting of PASM on my RS and I'd prefer a sports suspension like the spyder in a 991.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
I can believe that for the track; it's nowhere near any limits on the stock base on any roads around here (be it smaller back roads, out by Shenandoah, etc.) at least not without looking at a reckless citation if a cop notices you. Having a bit of roll and some bumps passed along lets the car feel like it's at least thinking about the road in normal street driving, at least for me.
The issue for the OP was maximum feel. The improved feel is there at legal speeds too. You can obliterate speed limits and get arrested or cause accidents in a Prius as easily as a base 991 with a standard radio.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The real problem is what constitutes "feel." Is an electronic damping control system, ie PASM/SPASM the ticket if you are going for raw "feel?" In 2005, the so-called "purists" said no on this website.

I'm just shocked that eight years later good people are talking about road feel and electronic suspension systems like it was a raw non-electronic system. Why do something half assed? Get the best electronic system there is to fully communicate with the road in a way that is the most efficient means of managing tire contact with the road? PDCC. If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly. The 20th century is over, but I'm sure there's a good old Miata out there; they have excellent 20th century style road "feel."

Last edited by holminator; 05-16-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
But on a 991 Base Coupe! The combination of a Manual Transmission, 19" Wheels and Performance Sport Suspension (reduced height 20mm, stiffer springs & damper units)....that would be one sweet, sporting & economical (best value category!) 991! Perhaps we might see it in MY2014 when Porsche might feel the need to give their base 911 model some needed 'love & attention'...and to help shore up sales! We will see if that comes true!
I've been hoping for exactly such a 911 since the 997 debuted - perfect for the Club Sport moniker. Fingers crossed that the inevitable 50th Anniversary car will be so configured...

Quick Reply: Optioning a Base 991 for most 'feel'