Sponsored by:

1 year report

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1 year report

I have a 991S with Stick shift, Aqua Blue with Beige full leather. Got the car a year ago, traded a 2009 C2S.

Two gripes - I cannot figure out how to turn off the lights at front of the car. This car is already easily noticed by State Troopers and others , I don't need the extra attention of the lights. Let me know if anyone has figured out a way to shut them off. Second - the price. The car is now very expensive and although most of us can afford it wthout much hassle, it does put the car out of reach for some, and it makes you think twice, especially if the car is one of a few that you might own and is really just a toy not a DD.

Positives - The new balance due to the longer wheelbase and the engine moving slightly forward works! The 991 is really amazing in fast and tight corners and is realy much faster than the older platform - guys like me with average track skills can go much faster, I'm sure that really skilled drivers can get a lot more performance from the car. The engine seems to have more than 15 HP more than the old car. It really responds with more vigor and has a wonderful power band. I even like the way that the shifter is positoned closer to the wheel, it allows for better control on fast corners at a track.

It is subjective but I like the new interior, it looks more refined and the quality of the materials is better than in the past (they should be for the price increase).

Overall, the car is an absolute blast, it is really fun to drive and it makes running simple errands fun. I hope all of you enjoy your cars much as I like mine. Nice job Porsche.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto, I've had mine 11 mos now and am still thrilled every time I take it for a spin. I have the C2S cabriolet Carrera white with full beige leather interior. Only thing I regret not getting is the PSE, I'm probably going to add it someday, just that I've had terrible service from my LPD and hate to have to deal with an out of the area Porsche dealer. I too traded a 2009 C2S Cab in on this one and it was a great car but am loving the increased performance and refinement of the new gen. I'd also like to do something with the Sport Design wheels...like the style, but the dull argent silver paint has got to go. I'd like to have them polished and clearcoated I think. The white cab with brown top just wouldn't look good with the blacked out wheels (IMO). If it was a coupe, I would go with the blacked out look though.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by clembo
I have a 991S with Stick shift, Aqua Blue with Beige full leather. Got the car a year ago, traded a 2009 C2S.

Two gripes - I cannot figure out how to turn off the lights at front of the car. This car is already easily noticed by State Troopers and others , I don't need the extra attention of the lights. Let me know if anyone has figured out a way to shut them off. Second - the price. The car is now very expensive and although most of us can afford it wthout much hassle, it does put the car out of reach for some, and it makes you think twice, especially if the car is one of a few that you might own and is really just a toy not a DD.

Positives - The new balance due to the longer wheelbase and the engine moving slightly forward works! The 991 is really amazing in fast and tight corners and is realy much faster than the older platform - guys like me with average track skills can go much faster, I'm sure that really skilled drivers can get a lot more performance from the car. The engine seems to have more than 15 HP more than the old car. It really responds with more vigor and has a wonderful power band. I even like the way that the shifter is positoned closer to the wheel, it allows for better control on fast corners at a track.

It is subjective but I like the new interior, it looks more refined and the quality of the materials is better than in the past (they should be for the price increase).

Overall, the car is an absolute blast, it is really fun to drive and it makes running simple errands fun. I hope all of you enjoy your cars much as I like mine. Nice job Porsche.
The LED daytime running lights can be turned off in the "Vehicle" part of the menu in the instrument display. It's under something like "settings" and "lighting."

My wife drives ours as a daily driver, family school bus, but only to the tune of 6K miles in over a year. She thinks it's nearly perfect. Ample for shopping, school bags, etc. Our car has PDCC and it feels too harsh and generally too much tire road noise, but otherwise, it is comfortable for 2+2 covering 200+ mile weekend sojourns and a lot more fun than just about anything else for around town. All it lacks is a backup camera.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The LED daytime running lights can be turned off in the "Vehicle" part of the menu in the instrument display. It's under something like "settings" and "lighting."
Please note the exact sequence if you have done this with your car, as numerous previous threads have indicated that not even US dealers with their PIWIS can alter this setting.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backup camera? Why would you need a backup camera in a 911?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Please note the exact sequence if you have done this with your car, as numerous previous threads have indicated that not even US dealers with their PIWIS can alter this setting.
Right! My mistake. Though I don't understand how I'm making the mistake. I know for a fact as certain as any in my noggin that I reached that setting. Maybe in the Panamera or Cayenne (loaners?) But I just can't quite figure it out because I'm certain I wanted those "everybody has bloody LED decorations to identify their car these days" DRLs off. I might be thinking of the 997.2 ... I'll have to go check that one next time I can get it out of the trailer ... just to confirm another data point that I'm losing my mind ...
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ricster
Backup camera? Why would you need a backup camera in a 911?
It's a well-worn topic. Just search these forums for "backup camera" and there's a laundry list of pro's and con's. For me, just the dollar savings of a bumper scratch repair and time/peace of mind saving when backing out and not rolling over a kid/dog/lawnmower is ample justification. Some argue against anything that smacks of "soccer dad minivan" convenience gizmo. I say it's impossible to maneuver in the paddock at the track without a lot of time-wasting neck-stretching and clutch slipping. Once you're in HANS and have a halo seat and helmet and harness cinched down, the blind spots expand to the point of real risks. If you're a one-man-band at the track and don't want to be asking chance passersby to spot you each time you need to back up, then the dead weight of camera seems like a fair compromise.

As a f'rinstance, a friend borrowed our Benz GL350 to run some "pickup" errands -- in an unfamiliar underground garage on a steep slope, they ignored the full picture of the back-up camera and backed on top of a parking spot concrete wheel-stop, sending its bolt through the tire. A nice person and anyone could have made that mistake (and I imagine that garage has had numerous such instances and is fully at fault in negligence, but as with my case, who's going to pursue them to fix the problem?) A lot of wasted time to be towed, avoiding any wheel rash, a new tire ('spensive!) and a day of logistics getting the car back, luggage unloaded, etc. Of course this illustrates that you have to have a particular device and you have to use it, but it was a simple example of how no "beep beep" backup sensors would have helped, but a very real obstacle that was there to be seen and avoided in the camera image.

I believe the ever more bloated US road laws are going to require vehicles to have backup cameras as standard "real soon now" and another example is the guy who scraped his F250 against the front of my then brand new C4S Cabrio two years ago. He was a good guy and honest and paid for new paint film (no damage but the paint film took a lot of paint off the Ford.) If he had a camera, he wouldn't have had to "guess" and guess wrong.

I drove a new SUV recently with 360 cameras integrated into the nav display. Cameras all over the car: in the front bumper corner markers, in the door mirror "puddle lamp" locations, etc. Great for rock-crawling and knowing exactly where each tire contact patch is going. Also great for impatient people with land yachts trying to maneuver around San Francisco's antiquated roads.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I def think the Cab, w/ its huge blind spots, could benefit from a camera.
It would be soo easy and cheap for P to add this. Of course they'll prob charge $1000 for a $100 camera!

Frankly, its just a matter of time before the govt will require them.

Last edited by kosmo; 05-06-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 1 year report