Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker vibration or unusual sound issues anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  125 hz tone.JPG
Views: 3306
Size:  72.1 KB
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

Do you guys hear this with the audio on or off? I assume with audio on.

I seemed to hear some ticking/ creaking on the passenger area with audio off. And the car has less that 1000miles!

Not sure if the felt tape fix will work for me.

And to Shumi_9, what do those specific frequencies mean? I am no physics guy, so please educate me. I do know what Hz means though.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 PM
spourreza
Pro

Add Content
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine is now mainly an issue with audio on. Which is still unacceptable.

Last edited by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom; 05-03-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Argh! I have this same problem since day one.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:58 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dyim

I seemed to hear some ticking/ creaking on the passenger area with audio off. And the car has less that 1000miles!

Not sure if the felt tape fix will work for me.

And to Shumi_9, what do those specific frequencies mean? I am no physics guy, so please educate me. I do know what Hz means though.
Audio only for me...all other noises have been taken care of.

Regarding the graphs...I have a test CD which has tones at different frequencies. These tones are very narrow in terms of bandwidth, so let us say a 25 HZ tone signal should only output a response with a peak at 25 Hz and no other freqencies. In reality this is only possible in a anechoic chamber with no reflections from walls, windows , etc..so, other frequencies are expected to be excited but the level in db should be very low. I used a calibrated microphone placed in the driver's listening spot to record the response of the system to the each test tone from the CD. As you can see from the graphs, the frequency response in the bass region for my Bose system shows excitation of frequencies as high as 2000Hz when these should be silent. It is an indication that mechanical parts in the car are vibrating/resonating adding sounds to the music which are not intended to be there or, putting in another way, distoritng the original soundtrack.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by shumi_9
Audio only for me...all other noises have been taken care of.

Regarding the graphs...I have a test CD which has tones at different frequencies. These tones are very narrow in terms of bandwidth, so let us say a 25 HZ tone signal should only output a response with a peak at 25 Hz and no other freqencies. In reality this is only possible in a anechoic chamber with no reflections from walls, windows , etc..so, other frequencies are expected to be excited but the level in db should be very low. I used a calibrated microphone placed in the driver's listening spot to record the response of the system to the each test tone from the CD. As you can see from the graphs, the frequency response in the bass region for my Bose system shows excitation of frequencies as high as 2000Hz when these should be silent. It is an indication that mechanical parts in the car are vibrating/resonating adding sounds to the music which are not intended to be there or, putting in another way, distoritng the original soundtrack.
Thanks. So this should be problem with the non-audio parts of the car rather than the audio then? Would Burmester have the same issue?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dyim
Thanks. So this should be problem with the non-audio parts of the car rather than the audio then? Would Burmester have the same issue?
Yes, parts vibrating or resonating at certain frequencies which should not like door panels, door switches, etc...Not sure about the Burmester. It depends on where the subwoofer would have been located.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

My instrument cluster is now also creaking (in addition to the symphony of door rattles) and only stops when I push it HARD into the dash.
I plan to tear this car apart and put every offending panel back with the appropriate tape and felt.
Madness..
Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 AM
nash667
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madness is correct, sorry to revive such an old post, but ive been back and forth with the dealer about this issue and no permanent solution.

People complain about Bose audio quality, but with this door rattle problem i don't even listen to music anymore...

Car is going back in for the last time, hopefully it gets solved... but it grinds my gears that i have to put up with this for so long.

Anybody get a solution?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

I just took my car in for buzzing and resonating in both doors. The tech identified the offending panels and put felt strips between the panels. There was also a window switch buzzing and they replaced it. All the resonance is gone now and I can listen to music without grinding my teeth.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 AM
nash667
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ski thats great news, if you dont mind can you post a pic of the job sheet?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ski, do you go to the SLC dealer?

Last edited by Duke I; 08-17-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

Originally Posted by nash667
Madness is correct, sorry to revive such an old post, but ive been back and forth with the dealer about this issue and no permanent solution.

People complain about Bose audio quality, but with this door rattle problem i don't even listen to music anymore...

Car is going back in for the last time, hopefully it gets solved... but it grinds my gears that i have to put up with this for so long.

Anybody get a solution?

Mine has been fixed for a while now with no recurrence. It does look like the dealer finally got it done. Like you, I also had to go back several times. The key was to find the right music to play at the dealer to show them the problem. I think in my previous posts I mentioned the CD and track . The dealer eventually replaced the side mirror **** with an updated version. NO more buzzing/rattling.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

For help tracking down vibrations and rattles, adjusting your system and more, get this XLO CD
Amazon.com: XLO/Reference Test & Burn In: Music Amazon.com: XLO/Reference Test & Burn In: Music
Or download… http://kickass.to/xlo-reference-reco...-t4077189.html

Some of the claims may have people rolling their eyes, but I've used this on several systems over many years, more than enough to know everything works as advertised. And not just to rarified audiophile ears either- even 'normal' people easily hear the difference.

For vibrations and rattles, one track is a sweep from about 60 Hz to 20k. Another is I think a 40 Hz tone that gradually fades out. These are intended to demagnetize the system (and they do) but work great for tracking down rattles.

Quick Reply: Speaker vibration or unusual sound issues anyone?