Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are dealers assigned territories?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Are dealers assigned territories?

I found a car I want, but its in a different state. Salesman said he has to get manager approval to sell me a car.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 549 Posts

There are los of posters here that got their cars out of state. If your home dealer won't help you out, I assume you can always buy it direct from the out of state dealer. Then have it shipped back or drive it home yourself, helps to knock off those break-in miles!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My understanding is that dealers have a certain allotment of each vehicle. They want to be sure they have enough vehicles to meet the demand of their local market, as these customers are more valuable. They are more likely to service with you and return as a customer. Dealers get low ball offers from out of staters, and individuals looking to illegally export all day every day. I can imagine some dealers may be short of inventory seeing as last month was porsches best ever in terms of sales. Then again, this is all speculation on my part. It is certainly commonplace for vehicles to be sold out of state, so you should not have any trouble.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What carsrmyvice said. Local customers are much more likely to bring their cars in for service, buy parts and accessories, and make referrals for a dealer. Also more likely to do repeat business.
If their business is good and the particular unit should be a quick sale, there's not so much incentive to sell it to you when they'll never see you again. On the other hand, if business is not so great, a sale is a sale.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
chron3k
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could potentially go to a local dealer and have them do a dealer trade for the car in question... you may not get quite as good a deal on the car though (but it may be better than if you were to go direct to the OOS car)...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
naaranha
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rodrat PM me if you are interested in the out of state purchase. I purchased from out of state and had no problems with my C4S. Typically speaking it costs $1.00/mile to have the car shipped to you. Unless you do what I did and drove it home! You will be much closer to the break in period that way. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks guys. The dealer is now saying they will sell to me. We're negotiating now, but its gonna be tough to get them to give me a good number on my trade (2007 997S) without seeing it so I'm keeping my expectations low.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Their initial position was complete nonsense.
If that were the case, there wouldn't be a single dealer posting their new inventory on ebay, cars.com etc.

They can offer you a conditional trade-in value (sight unseen) based your honest description and the obligatory carfax report that they'll run.
The entire out of state process is very common and quite straightforward.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
They can offer you a conditional trade-in value (sight unseen) based your honest description and the obligatory carfax report that they'll run.
The entire out of state process is very common and quite straightforward.
I bought one car from Louisiana over a decade ago and had a trade-in. They made a tentative offer over the phone but would not commit until they saw the car which is fair enough. I just had to hope that they wouldn't lowball me upon arrival hoping that my "new car fever" would make me accept something foolish. Cover your bases as best you can and consider alternatives i.e. private sale, Carmax, local dealer buy for your car as well to keep them honest.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Bought my '09 from a neighboring state. Bought two earlier P-cars locally, and gave local dealer chance to help me find the '09. Gave him the wish list, told him I'm flexible, but he came up dry.

Got on here and reached out to a dealer who used to post often, and he, though without any direct benefit, steered me right to 3 vehicles meeting my specs.

Called the Sales Mgr at dealer with the one closest to my liking (cars were done for the model year and I did not want the new engine-version), had a couple discussions over price, in two days closed the sale, AND sent him complete updated pics of my pristine '04 C4S Cab and records. He made a reasonable offer on the trade, decent number on the turbo, and Intercity showed up at my warehouse 10 days later - dropped the turbo and picked up the C4S. Easy one.

Still prefer to go local when I can, but did not work out in this case. From my understanding dealers are not supposed to troll for customers out of their region, but selling to someone outside the region seems to be commonplace.

Good luck.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ferrari dealers cannot sell out of state, without repercussions.
Same with Steinway piano dealers. The company forbids price competition, and they've actually terminated dealership contracts to those who sell a new Steinway to someone out of their territory. (no prob. with used pianos though)

Quick Reply: Are dealers assigned territories?