Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KY Rocks His New 991 Guards Red Carrera S Cab in TX!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013 | 11:45 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Default KY Rocks His New 991 Guards Red Carrera S Cab in TX!

Finally decided to pull the trigger and acquire the 991. It was a hard decision because I really didn't need it. I have the GT3 RS for the track and had an '09 C4S cab (my first Porsche) for the street.

My mistake was driving the 991S Cab hard during a solo test drive... It was a way more refined vehicle and easier to drive at higher levels. It was just plain fast and fun. I have always been a manual guy, but this PDK won me over. It is great when in DFW traffic and I got sick of clutch in and clutch out in heavy traffic. It was okay when I lived in Iowa since there was no traffic, but here it is different.

I almost went Ferrari California, but I have 5 kids and 3 like to ride with me top down all the time. The 991 just had more room in back and was cheaper. Plus, I always want the latest with respect to performance, luxury, and technology. My plan was to get a base Carrera cab. I drove the base and S back to back and, unfortunately for my wallet, the decision was very easy. The base cab was "slow". My wife's previous Cayman R seemed faster - both were PDK. I know that no one needs the extra power of the S for daily driving, but I have quickly found out, if I don't buy the fastest/best right away, I'll end up doing it later and probably spending more money in the end. The S cab was the way to go for me.

My C4S cab was basalt black over Carrera red and I loved it, but I wanted to go more bold on the outside. I was bored with white, gray, and black. Yellow was a little too flashy so I narrowed it down to Guards Red and Aqua Blue Metallic. My wife really wanted me to get the blue (her favorite), but I wanted Guards Red like my previous 997.2 GT3. Plus, my good friend 4forme on RL just got an aqua blue one....I couldn't copy him!! (his color combo is phenomenal by the way)

I didn't order the car, but I found one with specs I liked:

Guards red with black cab top
Full black leather interior
PDK (I can't believe I did that...I'm getting old! )
PSE
Sport Design steering wheel
Electric folding mirrors
Power steering plus
Sport Chrono
Wheel caps color
20" Carrera classic wheels
Premium package plus
Bose Audio
Power sports seats (14 way)
Porsche crest on head rests
Center console painted GR
Interior package painted GR
Sport Chrono wart in GR

My first impressions are that the car feels way faster than the 997.2 C4S cab I had. I understand this may be partly due to the PDK vs manual. The car feels bigger to drive, but is responsive and handles extremely well. The PDK in auto mode shifts better than previous version. I have never had it switch to wrong gear like our previous PDK Cayman R. Overall it is definitely more of a grand touring sports car rather than a sports car that tours well. That was what I was looking for. It is difficult to drive slow. Perception of speed is non-existent. I frequently find myself looking at the speedo and inadvertantly doing 80-90 mph. Fortunately I have a convertible so I can sense the wind sound and slow down. The cab top is way improved both inside and outside. It is firm on the outside and less lines are visible. The open/close mechanism of the top is similar and seems to be slightly faster (I haven't looked up the times compared to 997.2). PSE is worth every penny. I love mods and exhausts, but the PSE is perfect on this car. No aftermarket needed. The leather feel and new PSM is great. Having automatic lights and electric steering adjustment and folding mirrors is bringing Porsche into the 21st century...finally. The steering is lighter than previous cars and has less twitching and road feel. It is luxurious steering rather than race car steering and I like that for this car; not on my RS though. The power steering plus in parking lots makes the steering Cadillac-like and easier to park. The Porsche Entry and Drive is stupid...I understand you can keep the key in your pocket and just turn the fake key to the left of the steering wheel, but if you're gonna have true keyless entry, you need a push button. The new windscreen button is cool and convenient by raising and lowering the windscreen, but I think the windscreen of the 997.2 looked better when up (less rectangular shaped in older cars). I think the seat heating and cooling is better in the newer cars as well. The Bose audio is okay, not great, but is better in the coupes. The sound system quality is similar to 997.2. I do not like the fact that the engine is more hidden and less accessible. Lastly, the 20" wheels look great on the car and no center lock is okay.

Overall, the car is exactly what I want for a luxurious daily driver that I can drive in a sporty manner. It is the perfect grand touring sports car that I can fit my kids in and enjoy in Texas weather. It is larger and more planted then the 997.2. It is faster and better than the 997.2. However, it is not as raw as the generation it replaces. In my books, raw is for old cars and race cars, so not being raw is perfect for my fun DD. This car (even with PDK) is just as much fun to drive as the 997 and the PSE rocks. Good job Porsche on the 991 S cab. Now don't screw up the GT3 RS by making it similar!

KY
Attached Images      
Old 04-14-2013 | 11:46 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Some more pictures...
Attached Images      
Old 04-14-2013 | 11:53 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

nicely optioned and congrats
Old 04-15-2013 | 12:00 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Well done KY. Love the new ride.

Next time we buy new Porsches (991 RS) lets coordinate Euro delivery for lots of hot laps at the Nurburgring.
PS. you are right base cab does feel slower than CR, but I do love the 7 speed manual here in IA
Old 04-15-2013 | 01:01 AM
Gruson
Instructor

Great color choice and love the painted console, etc interior. Best wheels too.
Old 04-15-2013 | 10:47 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

well done looks great. Enjoy it in good health. I do love guards red on the 991.
Old 04-15-2013 | 11:37 AM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Congrats!! I have almost the same car as you, C2S guards red cab except not full leather and no power steering plus (which I didnt want). Guards red and Aqua blue are the two best colors on the 991!
Old 04-15-2013 | 11:44 AM
docmalone
Racer

Guards red is hot! A real head-turner. I agree with you about how living in DFW completely changes your opinion on a manual transmission, which I also preferred prior to moving here. I have about 4500 miles on my 991 now and it is truly the best top-down drive of any convertible I have owned and without question my favorite car to drive.
Old 04-15-2013 | 11:59 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyrocks
The Porsche Entry and Drive is stupid...I understand you can keep the key in your pocket and just turn the fake key to the left of the steering wheel, but if you're gonna have true keyless entry, you need a push button. KY
+1

That fake key with the unpainted black plastic just looks cheap.

At least you do not have to hold that key at the crank position to start it. So it is definitely not a stretch for Porsche to turn that into a push button.
Old 04-15-2013 | 02:50 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

That's pretty Congrats on the new purchase and enjoy.
Old 04-15-2013 | 05:56 PM
Trimmer
Track Day

Looks nice!
Old 04-15-2013 | 06:35 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

nice write up by someone who obviously knows and loves porsche! enjoy that gorgeous car!
Old 04-15-2013 | 06:57 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Looks great! Pure luck that the child seat matches so well?
Old 04-15-2013 | 10:29 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4forme
Well done KY. Love the new ride.

Next time we buy new Porsches (991 RS) lets coordinate Euro delivery for lots of hot laps at the Nurburgring.
PS. you are right base cab does feel slower than CR, but I do love the 7 speed manual here in IA
Agree with Euro delivery and Nurbrgring!!!

Originally Posted by Gruson
Great color choice and love the painted console, etc interior. Best wheels too.
That's what I think too. Although the new techno wheels are kinda cool too.

Originally Posted by docmalone
Guards red is hot! A real head-turner. I agree with you about how living in DFW completely changes your opinion on a manual transmission, which I also preferred prior to moving here. I have about 4500 miles on my 991 now and it is truly the best top-down drive of any convertible I have owned and without question my favorite car to drive.
Good to hear. I thought I was just getting old! I live in Southlake, we should meet up sometime.

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Looks great! Pure luck that the child seat matches so well?
I didn't even see that in the picture...it is actually a coincidence that it matches!
Old 04-16-2013 | 12:23 AM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Very nicely written summary, thank you. I agree with this being a grand touring car that drives like a sports car rather than the other way around, which is good and bad given what you use it for.
It definitely feels and looks bigger than the 997, which I personally don't like. I also don't like the lack of "feel" in the steering. The precision is definitely there and turn in is way better than my 997 (have a C4S) but there is no feedback to your hands.
Everything else is an improvement. Can't agree more on PSE.
I wish there Porsche would have made all the 991 changes (with exception of the electric steering and the poorly designed side mirrors) but kept the car slightly smaller and offered a true lightweight RS version - I'm not referring to a GT3 RS version - but a more low key true sports car without a huge fixed wing and gigantic front spoiler.

Quick Reply: KY Rocks His New 991 Guards Red Carrera S Cab in TX!