Sponsored by:

Porsche World Roadshow

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche World Roadshow

Anyone attended this event and if so what was your impression?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
owng
Advanced

Was there last time it was in California at California Speedway in Fontana and it was a nice time. Did some autocross and tested 911's on the track. It was well attended and organized.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 318 Likes on 193 Posts

The one I did last summer at Summit Point was great. Had a chance to drive everytng Porsche offers, including new Boxter S, Carerra, Carrera S, Panamera GTS on decent segments of the track. Well organized with outstanding folks to answer questions and no sales bull. Go to one if you can.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Attended in Colorado last fall. Excellent event...would have loved more than one lap on the track per vehicle, but I understand the logistics issues with that. Great chance to speak with Porsche driving instructors and try out a lot of different vehicles. I agree - if you get the invite, you gotta go!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I am very interested in the opportunity to get on the track, not something you get to do often.

Although from the video we don't get to drive too fast. How much did they allow you to push to the limit?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by adamsclubs
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I am very interested in the opportunity to get on the track, not something you get to do often.

Although from the video we don't get to drive too fast. How much did they allow you to push to the limit?
We were on one of the shorter configurations of the local track. I hit 110 or so in each of the cars, groups of four cars led by an instructor car.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The last time this came around our parts, the focus car was the new 991. I'm guessing with the new Cayman just arriving, it will return soon. I missed it last time, will make sure to go this time around.

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hammer911:10375647
Originally Posted by adamsclubs

We were on one of the shorter configurations of the local track. I hit 110 or so in each of the cars, groups of four cars led by an instructor car.
Awesome! Did they group the four drivers based on their driving experience or skill shown during the 3-hour course?

Obviously I will pay great attention throughout the course, but if they group according to your skills shown during the course, it compels us to really perform well so to get on that fast group.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

We had 3 runs on a nicely set up autocross type course in Boxter S PDKs. One follow the leader around a longer part of teh course in Panamera GTS, Carrera and Carrera S - got to 115, 119 and 110 in each at the longest part of the course- the Porsche world pro in the lead did not hold back and I just stayed with him out of faith lol. Around a skidpad we drove three Cayanne models at a good clip to get a feel for the acceleration and handling. No divide by skill and not really needed. It was not like a track session. All under control but still a blast.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

No, it's not like a track day or driver ed day. Large groups are pre-assigned, no skill assessment, then two people per car. Follow the leader around the track, instructor in the lead giving radio instructions to keep up/keep proper spacing. All the groups go the same speed. Cones mark the apex of the curves. Nobody can really cause or get into trouble. Take one lap, switch places with partner, take another lap, then switch to the next car. Four cars plus lead car at a time on the track.

Everyone sits through a brief "educational" session to start. Groups will move through autocross course, a short demo course, and the track. I think I was there for three hours maybe? Thoroughly enjoyed it.

We had Panamera GTS, C2, C2S and Boxster
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuckbdc:10375929
- the Porsche world pro in the lead did not hold back and I just stayed with him out of faith lol.
Like that

One more question, did they allow video cameras, or provide videos in car and outside? If not, can the passenger shoot some videos on the courses/track?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

They didn't provide any. I did not notice anyone attempting pics on the track. Lots from trackside from friends. I have one so bad I am not postin it!

It was sort of in and out of the cars fast given the lines waiting a chance.

I don't think it a good idea or that they would allow loose cameras with one timers trying to go fast.

RE following the PCNA pro: I have a LOT of track time and know the track section we were on. I was however not prepared for how fast the Pano GTS, and Carrera S would be on the track (mine had not yet been broken in and driven as aggressively as I did with their cars) - they are monsters. I just figured that if he got through and slowed enough for the next corner, so would I! PS- I already owned one and left more impressed than expected.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

You are right regulations would not allow loose items in the car, I forgot about that. There is clearly no time to install fixed cameras.

Also do they allow people to bring their own helmet?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Not so much "regulations" - more like standard operating procedure for tracking. Potentially loose objects are potentially unfriendly at the speeds reached.

They had a good selection of good helmets- but some people had their own.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried to register for the Sonoma event this morning and was told they are full. Sh_t! Anyone who is registered and needs to cancel, I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Porsche World Roadshow