Sponsored by:

which 991 is right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which 991 is right for me?

This will be my first porsche. I live in Illinois. We get snow. I would drive the car for 3 seasons, as I have a winter car. However, I would like to be able to drive in rain, etc.
Dont want a convertible.
I am considering the Standard Carrera vs the 2S vs the 4S (vs a 4s of a 997)
It seems like the standard carrera 2 would meet my needs? Is it ok in the rain, etc? I worry about pushing the rear end out and losing control.

I would be buying a 2013 model. They all drive pretty similar, but I didnt drive them at the limit, and the weather was 50 and sunny. So hard to tell.

Thanks for your opinions. I expect to put on 8k miles per year in highway (75%) and city (25%) driving.

thanks
Sam
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I used to live in Iowa and, as a result, bought a C4S. I also drove it for 3 seasons and had a winter car.
In my opinion, the C2S is great and all you need. It drives better. It is great in the rain. That being said, if you like the wider rear, rear red strip, want extra weather reassurance, and don't mind paying more, just get the C4S. You won't go wrong with either.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a CS2 but live in California where the weather is mild. If I lived where there was snow I would strongly consider the 4 or 4S. If I did not track my car I would have gotten the base model as well. It's plenty for the street.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Any 991 - 2 or 4 wheel drive- is very good in the wet. The 4 WD is better. They all feel great so you should drive them and get what feels good.

Tires are as important as all the rest in wintery mix conditions. All the S models come with summer performance tires which are just fine until there is any sort of frozen precip on the road, and which also get hard and have less grip when cornered hard or for emergency stops at temps below freezing. The easy solution- which you really need do if you plan to drive it when it is likely to snow, is to also have a set of winter all season tires.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just brought a 991 2S through winter here, but it was really mild - only snowed once, but plenty of temps in the 30's and lots and lots of rain. The winter tires were great, but after putting on the summer tires again last week, I can really feel a level of sharpness and road-attack only those summer tires can bring (temps now in the 50's +).

We did a first oil change last week, detailed the car after winter, and she sounds and drives better than I can even believe. In the rain again last night, warmed up of course, she had no troubles staying rock-solid at 4th gear redline on the summer pirelli pzeros. What a car. Someday, somehow, I will find a way to fit this huge beast in my driveway.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driven my base Carrera for over 10,000 miles in lots and lots of rain. In Normal and Sport mode, you will not lose control (with PSM on). In Sport Plus mode, more slip is allowed on purpose, so you can have some entertaining driving in the rain. Good gas mileage (30mpg) on the highway if you like that sort of thing. I've taken it to the track too and had tons of fun in Sport Plus (I'm still learning and couldn't possibly exploit the S fully - maybe in a few years). I have the glass roof, which is very nice in gloomy weather because it lets in more of the little sunlight there is.

I didn't even change the standard 19" summer tires and was perfectly fine. The temperature hovers around freezing here in the winter - still lots of rain. I've never driven it in actual snow.

I absolutely love the car! Just buy any 991 you like, you'll be very happy.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in Chicago and just picked my C2S up yesterday (first Porsche). I considered a 4S, but price and the fact that we have an Audi for all-weather made the C2S the logical choice.

I'll drive it all year around, but when snow appears she'll stay housed in the garage.

I don't consider rain an issue for the C2S. Obviously the 4/4S would be better, but drive a bit slower and it will be fine.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 AM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure I need the "S" version, i know there are more hp, but isnt performance about the same?
I would ideally like the standard carrera 4 (non-s), but I dont see them anywhere.
How does one go about ordering through a dealer - what are the pitfalls compared to getting one from the lot. Can someone recc a dealer in illinois or st louis?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
I am not sure I need the "S" version, i know there are more hp, but isnt performance about the same?
I would ideally like the standard carrera 4 (non-s), but I dont see them anywhere.
How does one go about ordering through a dealer - what are the pitfalls compared to getting one from the lot. Can someone recc a dealer in illinois or st louis?
The s has 50 more hp and some more standard performance features. It is faster. The thing is both cars come alive in the higher rpms. This is something to consider if you are accustomed to driving a torqued up turbo (bmw) like I was. I decided for street use the base was more than enough power. By the time I am snapping from second into third in sport plus WOT (one of my favorite feelings on earth) , I am well on my way to triple digits and in serious trouble should I encounter a piggy.

The major pitfall of ordering is the wait. Other than that you should be able to get a good discount 6-8%. If something has been on the lot for awhile and has a few test miles you may be able to get better than 8% but not without some hard negotiating. I have found it best to contact sales managers online and tell them this is what I want, this is what I am paying, I am buying this week. Usually you will get a head start when you do go into the dealer, as they know you are not there to pay the msrp. Keep in mind the dealer may be hesitant to quote you the basement price via email, so if they are a tad vague do not be alarmed.

Quick Reply: which 991 is right for me?