Sponsored by:

Porsche sport driving course

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche sport driving course

Has anyone taken the 2 days driving course and what are your thoughts and comments on it?

https://www.porschedriving.com/Perfo...ng-Course.aspx
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't, but I would love too I've heard usually positive things about it.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also curious. I was considering it. It's a little pricier than the competition, but I like that I can do it in all PDK cars (I asked).
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have one word: GO! I am not on commission I went in August 2012. Previously attended skip barber and have done a BMW program, too. This was awesome. I was hot lapping with Hurley Haywood within an hour of arrvijng at the track. Ill try to post my in-car video (which they provide on the second day) with telemetry. Was so much fun learned a lot. I am going back for the masters class next month with some of the people I met last August. Different than skip barber but very high quality instruction, technical explanation, excellent feedback and coaching, and fun attendees. Dinner and food surprisingly good. First rate experience and as I said above: highly recommended based on my experience last August.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 PM
2012GTS
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty much a must-attend for any Porsche owner. I was at the 2-day PSDS course earlier this month, and I highly recommend signing up. I too had done the BMW course previously, and the PSDS course far surpassed the BMW experience. The biggest difference (besides the cars, obviously) is the fantastic Barber track. Over two miles of highly technical turns with meaningful elevation changes. The cars included 991S, 997 turbo, BoxsterS, Panamera GTS and Cayenne. The 991S were evenly split between PDK and manual cars, and I ended up driving the manuals (very impressed) for the entire second day on the big track. Your skills will improve dramatically over the span of two days. I also can't say enough about how the PSDS course is run in terms of quality of the facilities and the great instructors. Next up will be the Masters Course for me sometime next year!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

I went 2-3 years ago and loved it. The track and facilities are excellent, the instructors are very helpful and the other people there were just excited to be there as I was.

I'm going back in 2 weeks.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been twice. I want to go to the 3 day course next. Just go.

M.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Now if any of you have suggestions on convincing a wife to spend 4k on a trip to just drive cars. :-)
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been considering this, too. Frankly, some parts of the agenda for the first-level class to me don't look too appetizing. For example, I have no interest driving a Cayenne off-road. Learning how to use launch control in a Turbo is not something I want to spend time / money doing. I learned how to do that the first day in my 991. It's definitely fun but I don't want to spend money just to do it in a different car.

I'm far, far, far from a grizzled track pro but I've had enough instruction at various points over the years where I feel like this wouldn't be great value.

Personally, I'd love to start with the two-day Master's course then come back for the three-day Masters + and get my license.

Will they let you do this?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are not interested in driving the Cayenne or launch control, just take the first day class. You'll get to drive all the cars, skid pad, slalom, braking and of course lots of track time. I went in March and it was one of the best times I have had in my life. I had never done autocross before and thought that it would be lame but boy was I wrong it was a blast! They don't hold you back on the track either. As the day progresses, you can go as fast as you want. All the instructors are former race car drivers and have driven that track thousands of times so you will not be faster than they are. If you are gaining on them, they just speed up, they don't slow you down. Do the one day class, then come back for the Masters. I guarantee that you will be glad you did.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Zucc
If you are not interested in driving the Cayenne or launch control, just take the first day class. You'll get to drive all the cars, skid pad, slalom, braking and of course lots of track time. I went in March and it was one of the best times I have had in my life. I had never done autocross before and thought that it would be lame but boy was I wrong it was a blast! They don't hold you back on the track either. As the day progresses, you can go as fast as you want. All the instructors are former race car drivers and have driven that track thousands of times so you will not be faster than they are. If you are gaining on them, they just speed up, they don't slow you down. Do the one day class, then come back for the Masters. I guarantee that you will be glad you did.
Cool, thanks for the insight. I'll consider that option.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Can you do that? 1 day and then the masters? It wasn't clear from the info online if they required the full course to move on.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

I've been doing a little research in some other threads and it appears that you can go straight to the two-day masters course. I would imagine you have to discuss this with them beforehand so they are assured you're coming in with the required background / skills to do this.

I'll call them next week when I've got more time to discuss and see what the options are.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Online it says that you have to do the Performance (2 day deal) but when you finish the one day course they invite you to sign up for the Masters. I also received some follow up information that said I could take the Masters course next. One other benefit is that if you book your next visit within 30 days after taking the course you will get a 10% discount on your next visit. That's the deal they offered us, I'm sure they offer it to all attendees.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

There is one thing you need to be careful of with the driving school. They make you sign waivers saying it's dangerous and you could die. They are not liable. And once you are in the school you realize it's nothing to worry about. What they really need is a warning for when you leave the school and head back out onto the highways. Holy cow. How quickly you forget being around sane Porsche-loving drivers for two days that everbody else is nuts. On my way home from the driving school, after dodging a few distracted drivers, I glance over and the driver in the car next to me is reading a book.

Quick Reply: Porsche sport driving course