Sponsored by:

Wireless OBDII with 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wireless OBDII with 991

Has anyone tried any of the wireless OBD2 (OBD-II) transmitters out there on the 991? I'm wondering if any of them work with Harry's Lap Timer.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I use the GoPoint BT1 with my iPhone 5 and it works fine.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Cool, thanks! I've also heard a suggestion of the PLX Kiwi 2 wifi. Both gets good to mixed reviews.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

HLT recommends compatible (tested?) devices.
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to hook up my valentine ONE through Savvy (OBD II). The OBD access is limited due to the incorporation of the OBD II within the fuse box. The entire area (OBD + fuse box) is covered by a large lid. Is anyone using the OBD II (Savvy) in 991? I am curious to see a DIY.

@John991. Do you have a picture of how you hooked up the GoPoint BT1?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Kim F
I don't have a pic but I just take the cover off and plug in the GoPro. At the end of each session I unplug and remove it. At the end of the day I put the cover back on and drive home. It is a bit annoying to have it sticking out of the fuse box but as long as you are aware it's there it's easy to avoid it when getting in and out.

If I wanted to leave it in more permanently i would get a second panel and use a dremel tool to cut out a hole for it.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The fuse box lid seems like a bit of a problem. I'd suggest ordering another cover 991.555.621.00 then cutting it to go around the OBD port, or around the whole bluetooth plug-in. Then I'd get some hobby glue or silicon or bondo and fashion some sort of "kick plate" by gluing a pyramid shape or a triangle of sorts to protect from shoes going in towards the pedals (or lifting out past the box when exiting the car.)
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

I have been looking for a more flush/flat OBD II connector so that I don't inadvertently kick it loose.
@Carrera GT. Thanks for the part number.
If I can locate a wireless OBD II connector that is flat or compact, I would be set.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kimf70
I have been looking for a more flush/flat OBD II connector so that I don't inadvertently kick it loose.
@Carrera GT. Thanks for the part number.
If I can locate a wireless OBD II connector that is flat or compact, I would be set.
I used to have a "Tektron" (from memory) flat ribbon (about 5 foot long) but the connector still wasn't all that flat. The "D" connector to the OBD-II is absurdly designed. I guess they wanted something isolated from the electric system that a random tech couldn't harm with mechanical force (which used to be true, I've never seen a failed OBD-II connector) but now it's in with the fuse board. I'm not sure I'm digging it. The design of a modern wiring harness does not require this approach to having the "junction box" (as it used to be called) isolated from the battery (which is high and dry and not exposed to engine temperatures and would be the ideal place, directly behind the dash, for all "top service' access points. I imagine the electrics OEMs are stubbornly resistant to making their "VIN specific" products bespoke to each vehicle manufacturer, so the same 90's technology is still in BMW/Audi/VW/Porsche. It's fun for the OEMs because they maintain a strangle on the supply side contracts, and who wants to certify their cars in each country just to improve the design (and reduce the weight and complexity) of the wiring loom? Imagine the impact on building production line equipment specific to a 911 if its dash wasn't installed in much the same way as the dash in a Toyota pickup?
Now, were was I?
Oh yeah ... the customer always comes last.

Anyway, looks like there are some maybe options for an OBD2 connector.
https://www.google.com/search?q=flat...=lnms&tbm=isch

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=1...6&tx=102&ty=85

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...30&tx=76&ty=82

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=3...6&tx=79&ty=110

http://www.tradeeasy.com/supplier/71...tic-cable.html

Actually getting one of these ordered from these places can be a trick. I've used alibaba and it was okay. I have a credit card with a very small credit limit just for these kinds of purchases, just in case.

Anyway, I think if you fiddle with a search for diagnostic cable or OBD2 variations on the description, something will be available.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thinking about adding the GoPoint to my (new) Harry's setup. On their site but can't figure out what the difference is between the BT1 and BT1A, other than the price of course.

Anyone know?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Just got the Kiwi 2 and it works great. Fast updating, super easy sync to HLT.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John's 991
Yes, I use the GoPoint BT1 with my iPhone 5 and it works fine.
Same here. I use GoPoint with Harry's lap timer for the overlay video.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 AM
Sujan Patel
Cruisin'

do you guys have videos of the obd2 data overlay?

I tried using mine but it was only showing throttle & RPM data not brakes or steering. Anyone have any idea how I ge braking & steering data?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m295O...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

OBD II does not monitor or report brake pressure or steering angle data. It's mainly engine and exhaust related data. You'd need to add sensors for both. I'm sure you could find an answer about the viability of doing this with HLT on his forum. He's usually pretty quick to respond if you can't find anything that's already documented.

Quick Reply: Wireless OBDII with 991