Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gary Sims passed away

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Witteried
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have emailed a link to this thread to Gary's relatives. I already miss our after breakfast drives with Gary.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest that all respect Gary's wish for privacy. This thread was started to inform the forum and beyond that it should remain private.
I have not seen anything that indicates Gary had a preference for privacy. Please share if you are in possession of such information. He touched many of us through this forum as it appears several members are in need of understanding more than is out there regarding his passing. For me it is not gawking or being nosy. It just may help deal with a tragic and sudden loss of someone who was important to me.
While I defend your right to your own opinion, may I suggest that advising others on how to behave is a job best left to a spouse.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Just FYI. When I met Gary in December he mentioned that he planned to be with a neice for the holidays, and to meet with some Rennlisters on the trip he was about to take to San Francisco. I may be misremembering, but I believe he told me he had no children.

Not suprise to anyone reading this, Gary was very open about his loss of Cindy, and about how much of a struggle he was having recovering. He told me how much appreciated new friends and old helping him recover and get on with his life and how much his 991 was right in the middle of that.

Like some of you , I was affected more than expected by his passing despite barely knowing him. Part of that is that we were both the same age (e.g., old) shared a history of technology, cars and racing, and with similar new toys. But on reflection i think it was because one seldom is touched by someone so bright, fierce, open and going about finding and building friendships. Clearly he suceeded.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM
brochalm
Track Day

Thank you to all of you who took the time and effort to write about my brother. He was a wonderful person and a great brother and an inspiration to me all my life.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:42 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

RIP
Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't frequent this board much, having gone in a different direction, so I regretfully missed this news. I'm stunned at his passing, I only came across this as I tried to figure out why my last PM to him had gone unanswered.

Like many others, I am relatively new to these boards but fast came to love Gary's contributions. We never met (I had hoped to come to an event he was instructing), but I reached out in PM to thank him for sharing his infectious passion for and knowledge about our cars. In fits and spurts we exchanged a dozen PMs, Gary sharing his loss of Cindy and his battle to go on without her. His sagelike advice for success in love and life. Like others, we fast became friends as he selflessly but never imposingly shared his wisdom. I gushed to my wife how touched I was by his thoughts. I am much younger than he was, and having lost my own father near the time he lost Cindy I doubly appreciated the teachings he shared.

Someone previously mentioned hoping to work on a book with Gary. It sure seems like he shared several books worth of knowledge and opinions in this (and the NSX forums), perhaps posthumously they could be collected in to a collection published in memorium? Just a thought.

I feel compelled to share a message he sent me. It is, true to form, poignant and inspirational, and I hope Gary would approve of yet more of his knowledge benefitting the wonderful community here.

On coping with his loss:
I had no idea. Compared to this, losing my parents a few years apart... well, it simply does not compare. Nothing makes it acceptable, but two things have made it survivable:

*About forty years ago, I believed some advice to never leave anything in your marriage un-mended that you will regret in later years. No pious details. We all know what that means, and how hard it is day after day for a lifetime, but it's also essential.

*One has to leave and one has to stay. That's what that oath really means. When we're young, we think about what seems toughest: living up to that first item until death do us part. The oath also means one of us has to end up staying behind. Doing what I'm doing now. This last ten years it's been clear Cindy wasn't strong enough for this and I started making sure my health would stretch longer. Toughest promise I ever kept, Corey. No kidding.

I am thankful the brief exchanges with him, and that many others shared even the same experience. A true treasure to this community, he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Corey
Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 AM
brochalm
Track Day

Default Wisdom

Those words spoken are so true, eloquence of love with profound penitrating and yet resonating insight that us Men need to heed and understand. We are to lead our families not by force and might, but by love and guidance, preparing the way without expectation. Both of my brothers Gary and Dale are perfect examples of this. Thanks for posting this quote. What a pleasant surprise.

Blessings
Larry
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 AM
brochalm
Track Day

Default 1980 Whale tail, I am hooked

OK I was not sure how to begin a new post but thought that maybe someone here could assist me.......
I admit I am new to Porsche forum and to be honest it is a lifes dream to even think about owning one. Let me begin years ago. In 1980 I was stationed in Ramstien Germany. I was just a Sgt walking through the officers barracks when I saw my first Porsche and that was the moment I fell deeply in love!!!

She was a deep colbalt blue 911 with what I call a whale tail fin on the rear. Brand new. It had the largest white ribbon and bow I have ever seen. Attached to the bow written on a small card in a elegant cursive writting was a series of words that made my mouth open wide and drop to the pavement. Just waiting for that lure to gently plop into my mouth. But Hey we are talking about a Porsche here. No plopping here just straight up shove you aside and blow you away with the magic of the curves this charriot of the Goddess presented in all its glory. I now know how a hooked trophy fish felt. Just thinking about those words flash back to me as if it was just yesterday, "I hope this makes up for last night!" I was so stunned that I could not even believe my eyes, I reread the note, thinking to myself this is one lucky Officer and someday I will get one of these! Cars I mean!!!!

So it is now 33 years later,and I am embarking on this adventure after inspiration from my brother. So joining this forum is a guiding light for me. I am hoping that someone out there can give me an insight as to key areas and known failure points for 911's for this year. What to look out for and what they were known for, Basically the western information, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Well here is to a wonderful oppourtunity to make new friends and begin a great life.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:40 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Welcome - You have big shoes to fill on this board but you're among friends here.
It never ceases to amaze me how generous people are when it comes to their time.

At the top and bottom of the forum page you'll see a greyish "Post Topic" box.

Click away and enjoy.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Welcome to the community. Just fire away with comments and question and ignore anything that seems not constructive. Most here are knowledgeably and friendly. Everyone is opinionated!! The more you know about a Porsche and the more Porsche people you meet, the better it gets.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started a new thread for Brochalm titled "Posting on behalf of new member Brochalm"

Felt like we should reserve this thread for Gary...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just found out. I feel crushed. Like so many of you have said, I never knew the wonderful guy, but his amazingly bright and generous posts jumped out almost immediately when I picked up my first 911 and joined the forum. It's been a long winter, my time and interests have been distracted. Today I came back to the forums and immediately felt the emptiness... I did a search and find this...

What a huge loss. His warmth, intellect and generousity will always be remembered and missed.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thinking this post was supposed to go somewhere over here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-for-sale.html

Quick Reply: Gary Sims passed away