Sponsored by:

Gary Sims passed away

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm deeply saddened by this news.

I always looked forward to Gary's posts and his great insights. His enthusiasm towards Porsche, and cars in general, was exemplary as well as his posts. He will always be missed greatly.

May he rests in eternal peace!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How very sad. As so many have acknowledged already, Gary's posts were and should remain a constant record of entertainment, fascination and boundless enthusiasm, not to mention the sheer quality of his writing. Though I never had the good fortune to meet Gary anywhere but online, I shall miss him and his contributions greatly.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,245 Likes on 2,424 Posts

I'm deeply saddened to hear this. I never met him, yet this news makes my eyes well up. He was a truly special man, a rare breed whose presence uplifts us all. Over the past couple of years, I learned much from him, and not just about cars or driving. Clearly, he will live on in the hearts and minds of many people. Let this sad occasion be a reminder to us all of how abruptly and unexpectedly our journey on this planet can end, so do make the most of your limited time and stay close to your loved ones.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

You know you could almost sticky all of his posts, they were that valuable. And he was a great driver instructor.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary and I talked about marriage and other topics (somewhat) related to Porsches and driving, over several PM's in the short time I knew him. Always his PM's had the same magazine-quality, artful and descriptive titles as his posts. I wanted to share some of the pictures he sent me. Gary and Cindy were a truly great couple in love for all of their lives. Married 50 years, he lost Cindy in April of 2012 and loved her every day they were apart.

In Gary's words, from one of our last private conversations, "The Dutchess or the Ducktail".

Here we are about 1964 with the Lin family who rented their third floor to us in Taiwan while we lived there:

Here we are in Greece after I was injured. A friend saw her sitting beside me with my leg elevated and took this picture. I love the possessive way she has my injured leg in her hands. And she smiles!

I noticed that what mattered was me being with her. In the late eighties, after a friend's wedding, we rode horses up into the mountains and got this picture:

She smiled so wide her jaw should have been hurting. Then in the nineties, we tried out a camera in our office. She isn't elegant or aloof. Just happy:

Gary never seemed to me a man alone - Cindy was always with him. And to them both I say, thank you so much for teaching me about long term successful marriage. As I've been married only one and a half years and am still balancing the wife and the car things..your advice and counsel have been truly helpful and will be missed. I want what Gary and Cindy had, a friend and partner right to the end. Thanks, Cindy, for helping to shape Gary into the man he was, a man able to truly reach out and connect with others in his unique way. And thanks Gary, for being a friend to me and sharing some of your values and ways to make things work a lifetime. I will remember your teachings, sir.

Last edited by Nicoli35; 03-06-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I have to tell all of you who have been sending such wonderful remembrances. I spent most of a day with Gary on a business trip last year and we became fast friends He was about to drive from San Diego to San Francisco in remembrance of a trip with Cindy. We talked about people we knew in common from early professional activities, and on an on about cars and of course his new one. But a serious topic of conversation was how much he enjoyed the banter and the people that he found here. It really meant a lot to him.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary enjoyed who he was, and being a verbal guy he also enjoyed what he said. Reading that he was gone was a bit like tradi
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Pressed the wrong button. He was sure of himself and his opinions and many of us us loved him for it. He never pretended to certainty but he he knew his mind and was never afraid to express it. That set him aside from most of us. Wish I knew him.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

One of most insightful writers I have encountered on RL. He will be missed for sure. He is now with his beloved.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
PcarFL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is such sad news... Just as recently as 2/14, 2/15 we were messaging and Gary was helping make final decisions about two different cars I was considering. His responses were so toughtful and comprehensive, made you feel like he was an old friend looking out for you. Can anyone say what happened to him that brought him to his final resting place? Was he sick? Was there an accident?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarFL
... Can anyone say what happened to him that brought him to his final resting place? Was he sick? Was there an accident?
I do not know the exact details of the final event, but I know Gary had several serious health issues he dealt with for several years. His passing was sudden though; it appears that he was alone when it happened and he had no chance to seek help.
After his wife passing last April, Gary, with support from family and friends, made a serious effort to live his life -- traded cars, made several road trips, visited friends, took an official PCA instructor position, and was looking forward to other adventures. Life is short though and often the best laid out plans are cut short.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM
PcarFL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thank you for your response. he would be happy to know that i took his advice and purchased the c4s he was leading me to choose.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM
LPB
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very sorry to learn of Gary passing. Although I am new to this forum I respected his comments and enjoyed his writing. Everyone on this forum knew that Gary had a genuine passion for Porsche and life.

This is truly a loss to all of us.

My sincerest condolences to Gary family and friends.

Louis Bertoia
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

I like LPB am new to the forum, but even in this short time, his enthusiasm and passion could clearly be seen in all his posts.

My condolences to his family.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM
P76
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

His posts were awesome.

Will miss him even though I never met him. I always wondered what the story was behind his avatar pic...dude chillin with his dog and drinkin a mystery beverage

Quick Reply: Gary Sims passed away