Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gary Sims passed away

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This really is a sad news, I enjoyed his writeups and was looking forward when he said he's gonna do comparisons for s and non s.
Condolences to his family and may Gary rest in peace.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Very sorry to hear that. Now he is with his wife. Was it natural causes?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I met Gary while in California last year a few weeks after he got his 991, after contacting him on here. We shared a couple of good meals between drives in his new pride and joy, top down, PSE on, around sunny San Diego. You may remember a picture of it on in a thread here, parked safely between the palms. As it turned out we had some colleagues in common from times long past, and similar racing war stories. Gary had a distinguished engineering career in the Air Force and aerospace industry and a long love affair with sports cars, second only to his recently departed wife. A true gentleman. Rest in Peace Gary.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 03-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Sad news. : (
Tony thanks for starting the threads.

We disagreed a couple of times but Gary was always a true gentleman with remarkable writing skills.
His posts and passion will be missed from Rennlist.

As a symbolic gesture we have extended his Rennlist membership to indefinite expiry and added a RIP tag under his user name.

Here's a photo that Gary recently posted when he was racing cars in Greece , just down the road from my house..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Marv.Frazier
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who never met Gary in person but who enjoyed his writing very much - he was a fine gentleman. Witty, thoughtful, great engineer, teacher and philosopher. I would like his family to know that I enjoyed his time with us and I wish them peace.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM
kbalch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so sorry to hear this. Shocked and saddened doesn't begin to come close.

I hadn't heard from Gary in weeks. My Dad's been in the hospital and not expected to live, so I've been necessarily distracted from my normal reading & writing routine. He made a significant turnaround last week and I got up this morning with the thought of writing to Gary, catching him up on things here, and seeing if he was feeling any better (his New Year's resolution was to rouse himself from the doldrums). I checked the forum first and found...this.

Though our acquaintance was limited to email correspondence, he and I were of like minds. His background in engineering and aviation, in combination with my flying history and our mutual love of the well-crafted written word resulted in an all-too-brief friendship that will now remain forever unconsummated, as it were.

We'd discussed the possibility of doing a book together - an assembled collection of his thoughts and writings on sports cars, racing, and Porsche - edited (it wouldn't have taken much) by me. Just working on the project with him would have been sufficient reward.

Gary, I'm sorry that we're not going to have that dinner we'd planned. Your experience, intelligence, wit, good humor, and friendship will be sorely missed.

Ken
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
996C2Cabriolet
Advanced

That is sad news. Although I never met him, I truly loved reading his commentary. I thought he was an auto journalist due to his love for the automobile, specifically Porsche and the way he described events in such detail as if you we're there along side him. His humor, wittiness, and perspective will be dearly missed by all. May he rest in peace.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow what a shame. His posts in here what truly amazing, great info and it's obvious he spent a lot of time crafting his responses. he will be missed
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Very sad to hear this. May his soul rest in piece. I've enjoyed his posts just like everyone. It's a big loss to the Rennlist community.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

I already miss him and his wonderfully written posts. I am shocked.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for letting us know. I was actually concerned as I hadn't seen him on any posts. Never met him, wish I had. Rest in Peace Mr. Sims.

To the rest of us...time is short, drive your car.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Richard_911
Advanced

This forum and the Porsche community has suffered a real loss with the passing of Gary. May his memory be for a blessing.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 578 Posts

Wow what sad news. I'm on my way to another funderal today. Hug your loved ones and enjoy every day. Truly a class guy.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is sad news. I too was wondering why he had not posted recently.

Having joined the board just a few months a go, I noticed Gary's posts quickly, because of their quality. He had a rare combination of good insights and judgment, and delivered them with consistency, so I welcomed each time I saw his comments posting. He was generous with his time on the forum and conveyed a genuine interest in seeing others benefit from his perspective. An all-around good guy.

RIP Gary Sims.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a shame, I wondered what happened when his updates stopped.

Quick Reply: Gary Sims passed away