Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A year with a 991

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Your story is so great even quoting John Denver couldn't ruin it for me! It seemed like forever, the old-timers rule was never buy the first new model year. Too many problems. Takes them a year or three to wring 'em out. Now I'm getting the impression the first model year is fine and they are down to the first month or three of the first new model- and that even then its pretty mild stuff. Nothing even remotely close to porous engine castings, for example. Those stories relating your earlier Porsches warm this Porschephiles heart. 10k+ miles is pretty good for a 2nd car. Good to know you're enjoying it so much. And you don't even seem to mind how big she is. Clearly a union made in Stuttgart, where they hold that engineering raised to a high level is art. Congratulations on your first anniversary together!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Your story is so great even quoting John Denver couldn't ruin it for me! It seemed like forever, the old-timers rule was never buy the first new model year. Too many problems. Takes them a year or three to wring 'em out. Now I'm getting the impression the first model year is fine and they are down to the first month or three of the first new model- and that even then its pretty mild stuff. Nothing even remotely close to porous engine castings, for example. Those stories relating your earlier Porsches warm this Porschephiles heart. 10k+ miles is pretty good for a 2nd car. Good to know you're enjoying it so much. And you don't even seem to mind how big she is. Clearly a union made in Stuttgart, where they hold that engineering raised to a high level is art. Congratulations on your first anniversary together!
Thanks Chuck- and everbody for your kind words.

Re quality. It would take a lot of typing to list what Porsche owners used to shrug off and just modify. Astounding amounts could be done with the tool kit, and it really was not so hard to get a supply of band aids and drop the engine a few inches. There was already oil on the garage floor, so why not? Times change.

I do admit to taking extra caution parking the 991. It is not the size. Porsches were always relatively large for sports cars; they just shrink when in motion. It could be age. I just tell myself there is so much text on the back end that I would hate to see the story rearranged.

Quick Reply: A year with a 991