Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 606 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by tangram
You'll get used to it. After all, you've only been a member for a month.

Ha ha! That's pretty funny.

As someone who has invested his short career in the Cayman, and as a team that races both 911s and Caymans, I love them equally. Yet still, our building new Caymans with 991 motors doesn't create the grounds for the perfect argument. Until a Cayman and a 911 cost the same AND make the same power, it's not fair to compare them.

I don't even think it's fair to compare the fact that one is a 2+2 and the other not. While the seats may be small, they recline all the way, which makes napping on 1000 mile road trips feasible! I think I'll go argue this some more among myself now that i'm all spooled up!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 458 Likes on 297 Posts

I've got a Cayman (2007) and a 911 (2003). I love' em both. It's like having two kids and you love them equally, but for different reasons.
Attached Images    
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The journo, Sutcliffe, has his reputation already. I don't think he stands on credibility, just opinion and he has access by virtue of the circulation of the magazine.

In that context, those comments were standard issue Boxster/Cayman review rhetoric -- arming the buyer with things they can think as they decide on a car as a rationalization for not buying a 911. It's a bit bass-ackwards, but it's been that way since '97.

I think all the pommy journo's are trying to ease into copying the monkey (when in doubt, drive a bit quick and get the tail out) which misses the point of listening to opinion of the review, rather than it being another drift video.

As many have observed, if only Porsche would put the Carrera engines in the Boxster and stop this absurd model "differentiation" and pecking order, I don't think 911 sales would suffer and I VW/Porsche would benefit. Now that VW is lining Porsche up beside Audi and its other marques, it's all a bit "corporate greed" and not enough "engineers made the car win races, then snaked around the laws to make it road legal."

Porsche is leaving money (my money) on the table by not making a Cayman GT3 and a Cayman Turbo ... by whatever name ... just literally the 911 engine flipped around and stuffed into the ample belly of the Cayman. If they would have continued the logic of the Boxster Spyder (no PASM, no nuttin') this Cayman could be a sensational machine.

It seems to me, in the Ferrari slice of my brain, there's a lot of aging 360 and 430 drivers who (vocally, publicly) lament not having a new Ferrari to buy. The 458 is too expensive and Ferraris are now too quick to depreciate if driven, the California is a bulging boulevard cruiser and neither car has a third pedal.

A Cayman (or Boxster) around 400-450 horse and lighter by hundreds of pounds than a 458 (or 911 ...) and with a manual gearbox ... come on!
I would like to clarify some impressions.

BTW I have a 2011 987 Boxster S which I love and I traded in my 360 for a 2012 458 Spider. I like the way the Boxster S handles compared to 911s I have driven.

The Boxster is great in the twisties. Am concerned that the new Cayman/Boxster has a numb steering feel. One of the hallmarks of Porsche is the fantastic steering. The manual gear box on the Boxster is fantastic...the best I have driven. I am wondering if the new AW steering on the new 911 Turbo will make the car as nimble as the Cayman/Boxster. And wondering how long it will be before AWS is available on all 911s.

Comparing the 458 Spider and 987 Boxster S:
458 rides better. the electromagnetic shocks work well. they should for over $200k more. the seats are more comfortable. the seat back on the Boxster elec seats with memory is too hard for my old back so I use a cushion. Fcar cabin is roomier...don't elbow the wife in the passenger seat.

With 562 hp the car moves very fast. and the car handles the twisties as well as the boxster...the car pivots. no understeer or oversteer at sane speeds (I do not do insane speeds) LOL

Boxster S has more storage. I like many of the ergonomics better. the Nav is easier to use. like the air cooled seats which is an option only on the FF.

Depreciation:
458s at less than MSRP are hard to come by unless it is an off color or not well optioned. 458 spiders have a 1.5 to 2 year wait depending on the dealer and go for $40-$100k over MSRP depending on color, options and mileage.

Best
Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 606 Likes on 270 Posts

I think that a 981 Boxster is in good company if someone who owns one of the greatest road spyders evers, likes driving them both just as much!

Quick Reply: new Porsche Cayman any day over 911