Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Porsche Cayman any day over 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

^Thanks! (Most people don't even know what a 2002tii is. )
Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotmetal
The Cayman is the perfect 911. The 2 seats in the back of 911 is a joke. Maybe only less than 1% of the owners use these Lilliputian places. Put the 3.8 in the Cayman and there is no more reason to the 911 to exist. And for people who really want back seats, they can go with the Panamera or the Cayenne. I think that Porsche is in a funny situation ... little brother is getting stronger l
Cayman is a fun car to drive and if you don't need the back seats, it could be the best Porsche with about 400 hp. The reality is, it doesn't have 400hp and more than 1% of the owners do use the rear seats daily. If you are 5'4" and under, it's comfortable, the avg American girl is 5'3" so I say, it's usable back seats. Sorry, the Panamera is hideous, would never own one and it doesn't handle like a 911. The Cayenne is a fine SUV but it doesn't handle like a 911 so you really don't have a choice but the 911.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 973 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Sorry, the Panamera is hideous, would never own one and it doesn't handle like a 911.
Have to agree with that. I'd buy a Tesla before a Panamera.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd buy a Tesla before a Panamera too, but I don't hate the Panny's looks so much. I just would prefer something else.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cayman is a fun car to drive and if you don't need the back seats, it could be the best Porsche with about 400 hp. The reality is, it doesn't have 400hp and more than 1% of the owners do use the rear seats daily. If you are 5'4" and under, it's comfortable, the avg American girl is 5'3" so I say, it's usable back seats. Sorry, the Panamera is hideous, would never own one and it doesn't handle like a 911. The Cayenne is a fine SUV but it doesn't handle like a 911 so you really don't have a choice but the 911.
400HP in Cayman would not be useable due to wheel spin/hop. Ypu'd need lead in the rear bumper like the 914/6 to utilize that extra HP.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Bradb, beautiful garage indeed. Funny you mention the Tii, my father had a 2800cs way back when. I still think both the cs and the Tii are just beautifully cars. Congrats.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
400HP in Cayman would not be useable due to wheel spin/hop. Ypu'd need lead in the rear bumper like the 914/6 to utilize that extra HP.
My '06 Cayman S (MT) would spin/hop with <300 hp. Had to be pretty warm (>80 degrees???) out to grab consistently when I would get on it off the line.

Once off the line, I think I could have put extra power down. Don't know how much though.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay-S
My '06 Cayman S (MT) would spin/hop with <300 hp. Had to be pretty warm (>80 degrees???) out to grab consistently when I would get on it off the line.

Once off the line, I think I could have put extra power down. Don't know how much though.
Thank you for reporting your Cayman wheel hop/spin experience. Porsche does not produce the 911 to be old fashioned, it does actually have an advantage over other types of engine weight placements. Does it need to be now changed? As someone once said "does the Venus Demilo" need arms?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 973 Likes on 459 Posts

Thank you for reporting your Cayman wheel hop/spin experience. Porsche does not produce the 911 to be old fashioned, it does actually have an advantage over other types of engine weight placements. Does it need to be now changed? As someone once said "does the Venus Demilo" need arms?
And the manufactures of rear tires heartily agree.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that someone was the insurance adjuster whos co wrote the insurance on Venus.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly don't see how anybody could say that the Cayman S is underpowered, at 325 bhp. There is no way I could see myself needing more power on public roads. Now, if we are talking track, that is another thing altogether. But let's face it, most (but not all!) on the 991 board aren't.

For those of you who think that the Cayman S is underpowered, drive one and report back.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tangram
I honestly don't see how anybody could say that the Cayman S is underpowered, at 325 bhp. There is no way I could see myself needing more power on public roads. Now, if we are talking track, that is another thing altogether. But let's face it, most (but not all!) on the 991 board aren't.

For those of you who think that the Cayman S is underpowered, drive one and report back.
Feels under power when you just got out of a C4S and into a Cayman S, It's a fun car no doubt and 325hp is plenty for most but not all.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I honestly don't see how anybody could say that the Cayman S is underpowered, at 325 bhp. [...]For those of you who think that the Cayman S is underpowered, drive one and report back.
Agreed. Compare back to the mid-80s - what was the hp output of the "king of the hill" 930? On a good twisty road, it's tough to even get fully into the throttle.

Feels under power when you just got out of a C4S and into a Cayman S, It's a fun car no doubt and 325hp is plenty for most but not all.
Perhaps, but beyond a 0-100 acceleration run it's really irrelevant. At most street-legal speeds, the Cayman S has enough power and torque to overwhelm the tires, anyway.

Of course, it is certainly true that too much power is never enough
Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Agreed. Compare back to the mid-80s - what was the hp output of the "king of the hill" 930? On a good twisty road, it's tough to even get fully into the throttle.

Perhaps, but beyond a 0-100 acceleration run it's really irrelevant. At most street-legal speeds, the Cayman S has enough power and torque to overwhelm the tires, anyway.

Of course, it is certainly true that too much power is never enough
Well said.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 981S Boxster and I haven't even got my 991 yet and I still think the Boxster is underpowered. I live in Switzerland and there are a lot of twisty mountainroads here. An example is when you accelerate out of a hairpin, going up a mountain. The lack of low end torque makes it feel like the car is hesitating for a split second. (It's a manual). You really need to shift back to first gear sometimes. You also feel that the chassis can have a lot more power than it has right now. That's probably because the chassis is so damn good! That is IMO the biggest problem for the 981... The car is so good, that you just feel that it could use more power. You never have the idea that you're using the car to its limits, but you often have the feeling that you are using the engine to its limits. That's not just going as fast as you can, it's especially the low-end torque IMO that would help and a bit more hp would not be bad also.

That said... I'm still in love with the car and she gives me a big smile on my face, everytime I go out and drive her. It's an almost perfect car, but that's also the biggest problem of the car.

Suzy991

Quick Reply: new Porsche Cayman any day over 911